This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 22, 2016, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Video

Eflite UMX Yak 54 Maiden Flight - Taming of The Yak

This is the Maiden Flight of my Eflite UMX Yak 54.

Eflite UMX Yak 54 Maiden Flight - Taming of The Yak (6 min 30 sec)

Prior to the Maiden Flight, I had outfitted my UMX Yak 54 with Dubro 1-1/4" Mini Lite Wheels and then raked the Landing Gears slightly forward for improved AstroTurf Ground Handling and minimizing nose overs. I had also reinforced the Vertical Stabilizer / Rudder and the Horizontal Stabilizer / Elevator with .040 Carbon Fiber Rod Spars for increased rigidity and protection. For ease of Battery Hatch access, I added a small Tape Tab at the front of the Hatch, and for a finished look, I added a UMX Pitts S-1S Prop Spinner which not only matched the Prop, but also the whole scheme of the Yak.

I was very impressed with the flight characteristics of this plane. Flying at the Factory Manual 100% Rates and recommended Expo, the UMX Yak 54 was well-mannered with very predictable handling. As I stated in the video, I'm not much of a 3D Pilot but I could not help smiling as this plane revealed to me the wide flight envelope it possessed. It flies very much like a mono-wing UMX Beast 3D. Even with some moderate gusting at the park, the UMX Yak 54 maintained poise and predictability with the on-board AS3X. Landings however can be a bit floaty as there is a sweet spot of throttle that has to be managed in order to set up a smooth approach, very much like a UMX Sbach 3D. Using a stout Hyperion 2S 330 mAh Babbelbatt (17 Grams) placed in the middle of the battery cavity, I was easily able to achieve my 5-minute flight time.

The UMX Yak 54 is all thrills and a solid performer that will give Aerobatic and 3D Pilots a lasting smile cheek to cheek. It's unfortunate that this plane was discontinued by Horizon Hobby. So if you do happen to find one, don't pass up on it.

MODIFICATIONS / UPGRADES
Prop Spinner: Eflite UMX Pitts S-1S Spinner
Wheels: Dubro 1-1/4" Mini Lite Wheels
Battery Hatch: Hatch Access Tape Tab
Reinforcements: .040 Carbon Fiber Rod Spars on the Vertical Stabilizer / Rudder and the Horizontal Stabilizer / Elevator

Transmitter: Spektrum DX6
Battery: Hyperion 2S 330 Babbelbatt (17 Grams)
Timer: 5 Minutes
Battery Discharge: 7.69 Volts out of 8.40 Volts

Control: 100% Rates
Expo: Aileron - 25%, Elevator - 30%, Rudder - 15%

Camera: iPhone 6 at 1080P / 60 FPS
Camera Man: Mike "Deuces Wild" Frontiero

Thanks for watching and if you haven't already please click the Thumbs Up and Subscribe!
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply