Mar 21, 2016, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

First build, looking at a tcopter

Morning guys. Forgive me if this already discussed to death. I have been lusting after a simplecopter style tcopter since i saw the videos of them defying the laws of physics. I have played around wth toy quads, done a tiny bit of soldering....I have been looking hard at buying something and am really contemplating just getting what I really want. Looks like i will have to build it though, trying to keep cost down.

So the frame looks easy enough to procure, but I had some questions about parts. I see tons of motors and receivers on the classifieds, but I do not know how the numbering system works, or what controller/transmitter combos work?

I am thinking a kk controller since I will be LOS mostly, maybe fpv later. I know nothing about programming, so simple is best. What transmitters work with the kk, and does it matter which one I get(mini, firmware etc)?

Also, they reccomend a 2212 motor at 920 kv or 1400. Any other sizes I could use if they come up used? 2205 at same kv...or what about the ones that do not have a size rating, just volatage? I would be more about aero, but I like the idea of big effecient props. There are some issues with prop size and motor speed isnt there, besides the tourqe issue?

Lastly, esc? any 30 amp will do...or there some considerations i need to factor when looking....flashing, anything else?

Sorry for the newbish questions. I have been lurking for a long time and want to man up and create a beautuiful beast that i can smash into the ground repeadetly with minimal damge. Why t copter? I think they look stupidly cool, but also they seem to be more durable, with the flat front and folding arms. tricopters look gangly and fragile in comparision.

Thanks to anyone who actually read all this. Have a great day.

p.s. if you have parts that you know would work(30amp esc, 2212 1400 or 920kv motor, flight controller and tx/rx) I would like to hear it, I am all about used parts if the savings are substantial or frame.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2016, 07:33 AM
ego quos amo ut volant
Welcome donnypd. If you choose a kk2.1.5 most radios will work fine. Depending on the vendor you choose to get the kk2.1.5 from it might need re flashing due to the stock firmware. If you're going to stay in Self Level for a time then the stock firmware will be fine, but not in acro. Stevis or Open Aero are 2 that come to mind. When choosing motors, esc's, and props then those will depend on the frame size you choose.
My first tricopter, and it still flys, is the Simplecopter 3. It is designed as a los flyer, set up for better sight orientation as the front arms are closer together and it's easy to repair, if you break an arm go to any Home depot and buy a 1/2 inch square dowel. It can use 2212 1400kv or 980kv.
There are plans for other similar sized tri's all over the net if you so choose to build your own frame to save a few bucks.
Mar 23, 2016, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the reply. I like the tcopter for the ease of orientation. I just ordered some Sunnyside 2212 4100kv from here.
Can you explain the kv/prop size/esc/battery interactions? 1400kv can run certain props on 3s but 4s melts the motor...according to some different posts? 8 inch to 10 inch but not certain pitch?
I am looking for a cheap and reliable setup. How is yours? What do you reccomend?
Mar 23, 2016, 05:10 PM
ego quos amo ut volant
You can run 8x4.5 props on 3 or 4s with that motor. I have 2 running those motors. Your best bet is to go to Youtube and subscribe to Hallstudio. That's Matt Hall at Simplecopter, his full size t copter and tricopters are powered but this motor. He has several build videos geared toward the newer flyer on setting up this type of multirotor, wiring, esc's, Flight Controller, servo, tilt mechanism, and why you need to do it this way. A little old school but great basic info for a new flyer, plus he's pretty entertaining.
Mar 23, 2016, 08:13 PM
You can also go to simplecopter.com . That is Matt's website. he is a very helpful person to speak with. he sent me some answers when I was looking at his tri copters. On his website, he has suggested items (motors, esc's, etc.) along with where to find them. That is how I did mine. He has the frames for sale on his website also.
Mar 25, 2016, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
Been there. Watched one video, did not seem too crazy difficult. But a lot of the reasons for doing electronics were vague. Like soldering wires together...instead of a pdb? Mainly i am trying to find out what items are similar so i can find used stuff here as opposed to all new from a store. Gonna smash it anyways, may as well save some money for spares.
Thanks for the reply.
Mar 25, 2016, 06:50 PM
I'm a noob also so take it for what its worth.

many tricopters use a wire connections instead of pdb board for $ (first tricopters were cheap do it yourself builds from left over parts. Lighter weight ( tricopters only run 3 motors and are thin so small and lightweight is a great plus). And its simple.

To start your build (leads to which size parts you buy)

1) decide how big you want your multirotor (from motor to motor) . (180mm, 200mm, 250mm, 550mm size is totally up to the individual) For our EXAMPLE lets say a 250mm craft.

2) based on the size you chose, this will determine what size props you need/ will fit. Usually the bigger the prop the longer the flight time (with consideration to motor speed and battery size) for our 250mm EXAMPLE 5" or 6" props would usually fit. Also a sharper angle or pitch will make the motor work harder, so a bigger motor may be needed.

3) next you would consider your motors, usually based on the size of your props and craft but many will go with a slower motor (with bigeer props) for longer flight times. Racers would normally sacrifice flight time for faster motors and a more responsive and faster craft. For our 250 EXAMPLE we would go with 2204 sized motors, and 2300kv for 5" props or 2204 sized motor with 2000kv for 6" props. This is not an EXACT science, just stay within the electronics limits. usually with bigger crafts you would use larger but slower motors, and larger props to match. One last consideration for the motors is your battery size. A motor with a high kv (ie 3000kv+) might get too hot with a 4S lipo battery.

4) esc. For small light, builds. a lower amp esc would suffice and save weight. Most average crafts (200- 400mm) would fly well on 12amp to 20 amp esc. Again the bigger the craft, the bigger the motor the more powerful esc is needed. For our 250 EXAMPLE, I would say 12amp esc is sufficient, 20amp if you are considering using 4S lipos.

Pdb dont weight too much more than wires and would make for a cleaner and more organized build. Depends on the space on your craft and needs of of your electronics (ie fpv, servo, camera, gps etc).

Like I said I'm still a noob but this is what I have seen and followed. This is an avarage /safe build guide. Small builds with large motors are common. Who doesn't want "mo powah"?

More experienced builders please feel free to add or correct any mistakes.
Last edited by noir522; Mar 25, 2016 at 07:09 PM.
Mar 25, 2016, 07:13 PM
.Just a simple guide

3" prop . . . . . 1300-1806size . . . . . .2300-3000kv . . .10-12amp
4" prop. . .. . .1806 sized motor. . . . .2300-3000k. . .. .12 amp
5" prop . .. . . 2204 sized motor . . . . 2300kv . . . . . . . 12 -20amp esc
6" prop. . . . . 2204 sized motor. . . . . 2000kv . . . .. . . 20 amp esc
8" prop . . . . . 2208 sized motor . . . . .1960kv . . . . . . . 20-30amp esc

Just a simple noob's guide. Determine your required prop / craft size and search other people's builds and results.
Mar 26, 2016, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
hmmm. so these are the parts i have procured so far.

kk 2.1.....something

1400kv 2212 motors;

25 amp 4 in 1 esc. was really cheap so i am hopeful. may not work , but worty a try. will have to modify from simplecopter template....it is too thick.

and a flysky 6 channel transmitter and receiver.

so thinking 8 to 10 inch prop on 3s battery. with the 25 amp 10 inch on 4s would be too hot i think. probably 2100 mah battery? anything i am missing?

lastly, since i hae the part i am thinking of the vtail. supposed to have sweet tail authority and posily tougher, eliminating the servo weak point. does anyone have the dimensions of the vtail so i can try to make one. matt's i would have to cut anyways. any buidling tips would be awesome. this is happening people!
Mar 27, 2016, 05:20 AM
ego quos amo ut volant
V tails are cool looking quads, but you waste lift because the rear motors are angled out at 40 degrees. Not efficient. Actually an A tail. I've been that route with a Bat Bones frame. went back to tricopter with it.
Mar 27, 2016, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
True you lose lift(30 angle for simplecopter i think) based on theangle....but you double the motors. So even a 45 degreeangle should provide the same lift? At 30 degree should be an improvement. And the lack of a servo should reduce crash damage. In theory.
Mar 27, 2016, 04:26 PM
ego quos amo ut volant
Double the motors= double the weight in the rear and they are angled= loss of thrust . Plus quads use torque to yaw, meaning one motor slows down to yaw, and you have to learn how to compensate more with the thrust loss which uses more energy from the battery. More weight = less flight time. Just saying, this is your hobby, do what you want. That's what's great about it brother.
Last edited by Lagraphicking; Mar 27, 2016 at 04:35 PM.
Mar 27, 2016, 04:41 PM
ego quos amo ut volant
And a quad doesn't fly like a Tricopter.
Mar 30, 2016, 03:06 PM
Thread OP
True. But it is a compromise in any direction and i have the parts for the vtail. Well i have to slice up the arms, had 1 by 2 at Lowe's. .5 inch arms won't clear the esc. Do you know where pdb's for 30amps are found? I tried hobbyking but all i df0357 kind was for 20 amp or lower
Mar 30, 2016, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Jesus Samsung's have the worst auto correct. That garbage was supposed to say i tried hobbyking but all i could find was fo 20 amps or lower.

Quick Reply