This thread is privately moderated by GottaZoom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 21, 2016, 03:31 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Build Log

Brushless motors and mounts

A collection of motors and mounts, before I start building my own brushless Delta Ray.

Click on the picture to go to the post.

Interior Firewall

EArHog
DYS 1806 motor mounted from inside nacelle/fairing with wood firewall for strength behind plastic firewall:

EArHog upgrade
SunnySky 2204 2300kv-same mount as above:

Interior/Intereior Firewall Hyrbrid Mount

AJ.K.
Turnigy C2230 1780kv

Martin T
AXN2208 2150kv (hub mount?)

Direct Mount

eddyalce
GH V3 2200kv

RobMason
AXN2208-2100kv
Parts Summary
delta ray brushless (5 min 15 sec)

Sam.Cee916
1804(?) with CC3D

beecat
Multistar 2204 2300kv

Exterior Firewall

Flypaper 2
BP Cheetah 2208 1800kv (possibly ply inside as well):

Flypaper 2
Heavier firewall plus bracket upgrade

Inside Mount

Hartrepair
Emax 2812 1600kv(?)

dfruehwald
Mystery 1510 2200kv:

Rear Engine
G-LO stick mount
2212/6 2200kv:

Tractor
dmonhellcat
900kv: Corsair motor

Last edited by GottaZoom; Feb 13, 2017 at 04:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2016, 03:32 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Reserved
Mar 21, 2016, 06:58 PM
BURNING ARF

Pusher Ray

RC FLYING: [Hobbyzone?] Delta Ray - CUSTOM TWINN FIN PUSHER Jet (4 min 45 sec)
Mar 21, 2016, 09:35 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zip
Pusher Ray
Nice addition, similar to last one I posted above and the Stryker, too.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Oct 16, 2018 at 11:22 AM.
Mar 21, 2016, 10:18 PM
BURNING ARF
[QUOTE=GottaZoom;34321725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zip
Pusher Ray/QUOTE]

Nice addition, similar to last one I posted above and the Stryker, too.
It's a great wing and they fly so so nice . . .
Jun 10, 2016, 05:08 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Pics of the firewalls for use with 2204 motors. I decided to not cut the fairing plastic, so firewall ply was cut instead. Expoxy will not be used to keep things nice and light. Time will tell if these are good decisions.

Next step, make a template for drilling inside the elongated X slots for mounting screws.

Following that I will look at material to use for motor fairings. My bud used cut-down PVC pipe couplers with his Canadair Water Bomber and it's much, much nicer than looking at his exposed gold motor bells.
Jun 10, 2016, 06:06 PM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
.... snip ....
Next step, make a template for drilling inside the elongated X slots for mounting screws.

Two screws will suffice to hold the motor. Drill two holes in the plywood and slap them motors on.

P.S. That's crafty work on the plywood cut-out. Impressive.
Jun 10, 2016, 06:25 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog
Two screws will suffice to hold the motor. Drill two holes in the plywood and slap them motors on.
Yeah, no template and I'm buying new fairings or going to the ER - maybe both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog
P.S. That's crafty work on the plywood cut-out. Impressive.
Yeah, my bud knocked that out while I was playing with the USB connector from his charger in his garage ... his connector fit but unfortunately did not work on mine. Then he explained the time and discipline to use it is probably not worth the effort. The guy can make any part by hand, or by machine. He is so mechanically observant and intuitive I am often in awe.
Jun 16, 2016, 10:35 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Mounted up my first motor to the fairing and the holes I drilled were a little off center. Even after relieving the center hole a couple times I'm still getting some binding on the circlip. So I need to borrow a bigger bit that is not too big ... hopefully I'll get the watt meter at the same time.

I've decided to skip adding an extended motor fairing to come forward and hide the motor - it's just more weight and complexity that is not worthwhile to me even though it might look better.
Jun 17, 2016, 06:47 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quick post to load pics - motors mounted to fairings/nacelles.

I ended up using my own wood bits but working up the size 1/64 at a time. Center holes opened to 19/64" to provide relief for the shaft and circlip which are not flush on my motors as shown below.

Will start a new thread on prop tests next week!
Jun 23, 2016, 01:16 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Below is a pic of the motor fairings my flying buddy made for his Canadair water bomber.

You can still see a bit of the gold 2826 2300kv motors from the front, but before he put them on much of the motor's length was visible from the side.

I'm really impressed with how these turned out and wanted to share in case somebody wanted to try something like this with their brushless conversion.
Oct 07, 2016, 07:48 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Rather than extend the nacelles forward, here is another inside mount that moves the firewall deep into the nacelles while appearing to open up the front behind the prop.

Hobbyzone Delta Ray - build, maiden & mod. (6 min 29 sec)
Nov 21, 2016, 08:22 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP

Go BIG or Go Home?

And here's another inside mount that uses Turnigy P2627L 4200kv EDF motors. Shaft out the front to the prop collets/spinners.

That's a 5x4x4 HQ prop that pulls 54A per motor on 3S for who knows how much power. We moved to a 2S to lower the rpms with only a small drop in amps. Unfortunately he only has 25A ESCs (they didn't blow) so it runs on about half throttle. He's planning to move down to lower props. His last idea was to say he might try EDF fans on the front instead of props ..... he squeezed a fat 3S 90C (stated) 2200 battery in there .... only slightly nose heavy.

My bud took his older DR and skimmed it with some lightweight spackle and then painted it. It's not quite ready for showtime as he has more painting planned and decals ordered.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Jan 13, 2017 at 10:09 PM.
Jan 13, 2017, 10:28 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Coming back to the EDF motored plane above, eCalc tells us 4x2.5x2 props may work on 3S (& maybe 2S) ... wow, just noticed the estimated level speed!

Hmm, is a 4200kv on 3S like a 2100kv on 6S?

After sharing the news, my guess is the props have already been ordered - hoping they're decent and hold together well at high rpm.

Quick Reply