Apr 26, 2017, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=tsw94r;37393517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rups63
I beleive it will continue the waypoint mission, but now you have no failsafe set if you're not using a waypoint mission.

I hope that you are correct, because I would really like to have the option. When I am just flying around, it does not take that long to change the Vector config to add the failsafe.
I have mixed feelings about this now, mostly because I fly in the Washington DC area. I went to my RC club which is in Maryland to test out the waypoint function and it indeed does work.

The issue is this... I also fly from a friend's property in Virginia. What I'm imagining is extremely, extremely unlikely to happen, but lets just imagine that I leave the waypoints in Maryland loaded on my Vector and go to fly in Virginia. I trip on a gopher hole after launching my plane and smash my transmitter. The plane gets stuck in waypoint mode and flies off to the first waypoint, over the club in Maryland. It's a long range plane with a big battery in it and actually has enough endurance to make it to the club, 45 miles away. Guess what is in between Virginia and Maryland?????

We had someone do something stupid here a couple of days ago and I'm just waiting for the blowback from that incident.

Anyhow there are other FC's that will do what you want to do, i.e. Pitlab.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2017, 02:21 PM
It's a little like real estate, location, location, location. I have 2 drones that will happily fly wherever I tell them to,at least until the batteries die. I have flown mostly over swamps in Florida at very low levels 30-50 ft and couldn't imagine flying anywhere near DC ,waypoints or not.

But , part of not making mistakes is knowing how your equipment works and doing a preflight.

The ET Vector is very new to me and I want to make sure that I know it's limitations
Apr 27, 2017, 02:03 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
I beleive it will continue the waypoint mission, but now you have no failsafe set if you're not using a waypoint mission.

It would be interesting to know. I have seen an aircraft lose the link when loitering and it levelled its wings and attempted a landing. Having seen that happen, it would not be so strange to assume this policy applied to all auto modes. But, I dont know the answer, and I am probably not going to intentionally try it
Apr 27, 2017, 06:59 AM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRogers
It would be interesting to know. I have seen an aircraft lose the link when loitering and it levelled its wings and attempted a landing. Having seen that happen, it would not be so strange to assume this policy applied to all auto modes. But, I dont know the answer, and I am probably not going to intentionally try it
Did this aircraft you speak of have a failsafe set? That might be the difference. I've not tested what would happen either, but a few pages back it was eluded to that waypoints would continue if radio link were lost and no failsafe were set.
Apr 27, 2017, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Did this aircraft you speak of have a failsafe set? That might be the difference. I've not tested what would happen either, but a few pages back it was eluded to that waypoints would continue if radio link were lost and no failsafe were set.
I understand it was set. It did a classic glide in from failsafe.
May 21, 2017, 01:48 PM
... how about a timer to force the operator (pilot) to move a stick or else every 5 minutes (or other value) and if not done the Vector FC automatically disable waipoint and initiates a RTH as configured on safetty pages. Something like in train ... dead operator > emergency brake.
May 21, 2017, 06:45 PM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemanel
... how about a timer to force the operator (pilot) to move a stick or else every 5 minutes (or other value) and if not done the Vector FC automatically disable waipoint and initiates a RTH as configured on safetty pages. Something like in train ... dead operator > emergency brake.
Yuck.
May 23, 2017, 11:46 AM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Waypoints working well...

Creating and flying a waypoint "mission", E.T. Vector Waypoint Navigation (32 min 47 sec)
May 24, 2017, 03:54 AM
Great job, nice video.
May 26, 2017, 01:04 AM

no motor on in autopilot mode

ok so i up loaded 1258-V2.63 and i have the box marked permit low altitude RTH checked but unless I turn the plane on before I turn the RC transmitter on the motor does not turn on when in RTH loiter or waypoint modes. if i turn the RC transmitter on and then the plane like most people do. the motor does not turn on in any auto pilot modes. but if i turn the plane on first and wait for the ESC to make the motor sing and then turn the RC transmitter on then the motor will turn on when the auto pilot modes are switched on. this seems backwards ????? before when i had the old firmware and i were to turn the plane on without the RC transmitter on the vector would turn on RTH and fire up the motor.
in both cases the stick still works when autopilot is off. but if RTH or loiter or waypoint is on the throttle stick does nothing till modes are turned off if the RC transmitter is turned on before the plane is turned on.
side note: I ran wizard do to the new Dragon link V3 install. it asked me to update firmware so i did. before this I did not have this problem.
if i revert back to say 1254-V2.59 will this problem go away? or do I just turn the plane on first every time?
i may try reverting back to 1254-V2.59 because its a released revision and might fix this problem.
I have not yet tested turning on the RC transmitter first then the plane and flying it to see if the autopilot motor turns on in the air. i have only tested this on the ground so im not sure yet if its only locking me out on the ground.
this firmware is a update to the autopilot throttle and adds cruise control for all kinds of things . even waypoint speed control
FIXED WING

* Adds "closed loop" speed control, for RTH, loiter and waypoints
* Adds two new "cruise control" flight modes using closed loop speed control

Refer to the following document for information on the new closed loop support:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Manuals/closed-loop.pdf

MULTIROTOR

* Adds "Change Speed" waypoint command. Refer to closed loop document above for more information

ALL

* Reduce Google Earth Live Mode update rate to 2Hz to mitigate GE sluggishness issue
Last edited by Danthemanfpv; May 26, 2017 at 02:34 AM.
May 26, 2017, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthemanfpv
i may try reverting back to 1254-V2.59 because its a released revision and might fix this problem.
I think putting the old firmware back on and trying would be an important fault finding step to do, providing you dont change any configuration.

So I suggest you try that next.

I had something similar following running the wizard; no throttle on Waypoint/Loiter/RTH but the cause was that I have an arm button on my TX which inhibits the throttle. When I ran the wizard I completely forgot about the arm switch, despite carefully positioning the throttle as the wizard requested. The result was that no cruise or climb throttle settings were saved. Sounds different to your problem though.
Jun 13, 2017, 09:18 AM

Temperature difference between internal sensor and plugged in sensor

Oops! Wrong thread! Post deleted!
Last edited by nonoze; Jun 14, 2017 at 02:25 AM.
Jun 13, 2017, 10:45 AM
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Have you got the latest firmware? A recent release focused on fixing the temp sensor onboard.
Jul 10, 2017, 06:00 PM
KI7CBF

Waypoint Accuracy

I've been using the Vector on a couple fixed wings for a few years now, but just got a bit of free time this week to really go into depth with it. And I tried Waypoints for the first time. This led to some questions.

As a test, I wanted to run a straight line from north to south at 200' elevation, with a climb to 275' over a power line in the middle. To do this, I created 6 waypoints as shown in the attached map. They include a beginning, end, and climb-up/climb-down segments over the power line.

Name: Map.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 124.8 KB
Description:

Name: Setup.png
Views: 53
Size: 780.0 KB
Description:

My problem is that the path chosen by the Vector is far from a straight line. On approaching the climb waypoint 3, the plane flies to the left of the selected point and does a loiter-style turn around the point before climbing to the next point. It then repeats this circular turn at waypoint 4. And again at the final point, waypoint 6.

I was very surprised it couldn't climb 75' in about 375' - by my calculation that's only about an 11.3° climb.

It's behaving like it REALLY wants to hit those waypoints at the altitude requested, which I guess is a good thing; but it's not trying very hard. I'd rather have it fly a straight line and if it missed the altitude or the exact coordinates a bit, that's OK. Or be very aggressive and just go to those points without the circular searching.

Is there a way to loosen the requirements for hitting a waypoint? Or alternatively, make it more aggressively hit the waypoints and avoiding the circling until it finally hits them?
Last edited by xtrmtrk; Jul 10, 2017 at 10:23 PM.
Aug 02, 2017, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmtrk
My problem is that the path chosen by the Vector is far from a straight line. On approaching the climb waypoint 3, the plane flies to the left of the selected point and does a loiter-style turn around the point before climbing to the next point. It then repeats this circular turn at waypoint 4. And again at the final point, waypoint 6.

I was very surprised it couldn't climb 75' in about 375' - by my calculation that's only about an 11.3° climb.

It's behaving like it REALLY wants to hit those waypoints at the altitude requested, which I guess is a good thing; but it's not trying very hard. I'd rather have it fly a straight line and if it missed the altitude or the exact coordinates a bit, that's OK. Or be very aggressive and just go to those points without the circular searching.

Is there a way to loosen the requirements for hitting a waypoint? Or alternatively, make it more aggressively hit the waypoints and avoiding the circling until it finally hits them?
Did you set the Desired Climb rate in the advanced safety mode navigations settings? Say your going 20 MPH that's about 30' per second which means you travel 375' in 12 seconds. If you left the default setting of 5FPS you need 15 seconds to climb 75'... and I'm new to Vector so take this with a grain of salt.

JT
Last edited by jthornton; Aug 02, 2017 at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply