Thread Tools
Mar 20, 2016, 10:10 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Thread OP
Discussion

ETNZ hull refit questions.


I was given an ETNZ hull some years ago (thanks Alan!) and knowing what a crappy sailor it is stock, the hull was shelved until today.

The weather was too cold and wet to go sailing my TT Voyager so I grabbed the Dremel and took off the deck.
Normally I would do this in my shop, but the vacuumcleaner gave up on me (needs new brushes) so I went outside.
The cutting wheel made it an easy job, but left me looking like a snowman.

Once the deck was off I cleaned out the resin residu where the servo tray had been glued in with and the extra resin around the keelslot.

Next was the keelslot itself, it left a nice square hole.

Then the rain came down and I had to quit before the rudder tube could be removed.

As it is in the pictures, the hull weighs 428 gr.
Is that heavy?

I intend to use an US1M or IOM with similar lines as a guideline to rebuild the boat, I would like suggestions which hull to look at.

I've looked at the US1M site and if I follow the position of the keelfin and mast, the position of the mast is 70 mm more aft than stock and the front of the keel is 120 mm more aft than stock.

Is that realistic, given the hullshape of the ETNZ?

Please advice.

Regards, Jan.
Last edited by pompebled; Mar 21, 2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2016, 06:42 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Thread OP
Hmm, lots of views, but no suggestions? Come on guys!

I'll provide more info by taping the hole in the bottom and test how much weight I can put in the hull before it reaches the waterline.
That way I'll have a 'guestimate' of the ballastweight minus the weight of the radio gear, deck and rig.
I'll also know the CoG, aka, where to put the goodies inside the hull.

Regards, Jan.
Mar 21, 2016, 07:08 AM
Registered User
search the form for things like fin position, LCB, CLR, CE. They all need to act together.
Many posts have discussed this before. Have fun.
Mar 21, 2016, 09:30 AM
Kevin Gault
poltergeist's Avatar
This was my attempt to improve the Hobby King Phantom, which seems to be a clone of the TT ETNZ. I didn't go so far as cutting off the deck (although I considered it). I moved the keel back (don't remember the exact measurement). https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t=phantomstein

It ended up sailing fairly well, and I thought it might make a decent US1M, but I think the hull has way too much rocker and the overhangs too long. With a 4 lb US1M bulb it ended up weighing just over 7 lbs, which is pretty heavy for a US1M.

Kevin
Mar 21, 2016, 03:22 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Thread OP
Hi Kevin,

I re-read your thread and Norman2's too.
I didn't realize 5-6 years had gone by since I got this hull (and worked on it).

I have the AC100 pdf's on my hardrive, so I should be good measurement wise.

I'm still going to do the float test to see how much weight I can put in the boat.
Most likely I'm going to close the slot where the keel used to be, as I don't have a bathtub to do the float test in.
I'll be on my belly on the edge of the canal, so if the hull leaks, it'll fill up and sink if I just use tape over the slot, a bit too risky for my taste.

Regards, Jan.
Mar 25, 2016, 05:49 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Thread OP
It looks like the ETNZ hull mainly consist of a thick layer of gelcoat and a single layer of glasscloth.

I discovered that when I cleaned out the remains of the glue that once held the servo tray in place, using a sanding disk in the Dremel.
In several places the dust became black in stead of white, an indication I reached the gel coat and sanded through the glass...

I closed the keelslot with glasscloth and epoxy and patched up the spots I'd broken through the glass.

The hull is laid up with three pieces of glasscloth; one on the bottom and two strips along the sides with a small overlap.

The mold used for this hull isn't very smooth; the hull has lumps and dents along it's surface, one reason for the very thick layer of gelcoat.

Once the epoxy has cured, I'll see if I can reduce the thickness of the gelcoat layer and remove some of the uneven surface in the process.

Than I'll also know if the hull has been painted, because when I degreased it with Acetone, the cloth became black, as if I was dissolving the outer layer, weird, because gelcoat should not dissolve so quick when wiped with a cloth and Acetone...

Regards, Jan.
Last edited by pompebled; Mar 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Mar 26, 2016, 05:35 PM
Whitby, ON, Canada
pompebled- since you have cut off the tail end you basically now have the equivalent of a Shunbo Monsoon ... probably of no consequence, Monsoons hold their own pretty well.

Anyway, I have also done quite an extensive mod/conversion on a Phantom so have a look see, not sure if this link will work for you but feel free to give it a try. http://www.shipshaperc.com/index.php...og-photos#5452
Mar 27, 2016, 12:19 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbark
pompebled- since you have cut off the tail end you basically now have the equivalent of a Shunbo Monsoon
Hi Woodbark,

I didn't shorten the hull, I just cut off a piece of the deck to remove it in two pieces to avoid cutting into the hull underneath.
The hull is still 100 cm long.

I'll have to register to see your Phantom refit.

Regards, Jan.
Mar 28, 2016, 08:54 PM
Whitby, ON, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
Hi Woodbark,

I didn't shorten the hull, I just cut off a piece of the deck to remove it in two pieces to avoid cutting into the hull underneath.
The hull is still 100 cm long.

I'll have to register to see your Phantom refit.

Regards, Jan.
Sorry about that Jan, if you prefer I could try to retrieve my photos and post them here. I may still have them on a flash drive or card if not I will have to try and pull them out of the ShipShape post.
Please let me know.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools