Mar 20, 2016, 09:11 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Scratch Built F-22

Using plans from Mikey's RC, I just finished an 64mm EDF F-22. Built from foam board and some 3/8" and 3/4" packing foam reinforced with carbon fiber and some thin balsa laminate the all up weight is 19.7 oz inclusing a 1600 mah lipo. The battery will sit on top in the slot in the fuselage. All other electronics are pretty much out of site. The "engine shroud" is a painted foam McDonald's coffee cup.

Radio is a Futabs T7C set up with elevons. 1/2" throw each direction for starters.

After having flown some of my friends "flat foamies" I decided it was time to build one myself. As a long time builder and flyer using hot glue and flat foam was a new and positive experience.

I anticipate a good flying model!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2016, 10:08 AM
Allways the hard way!
Nice looking Raptor!. I like the clean look of edf powered profile jets. I should try it some day.. but i also like the grunt of the prop-in-slot.
Jul 08, 2016, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
I finally maidened my F-22. Plenty of power but a handful to fly. I balanced my plane per the plans, but some knowledgeable friends who witnessed the flight said it acted tail heavy. It did an unplanned snap roll at one point and it turned left easier than right?
I did land safely and will shift the battery forward. My plane is set up with elevons only. I did not put movable surfaces on the wing.
Jul 08, 2016, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Weiss
I finally maidened my F-22. Plenty of power but a handful to fly. I balanced my plane per the plans, but some knowledgeable friends who witnessed the flight said it acted tail heavy. It did an unplanned snap roll at one point and it turned left easier than right?
I did land safely and will shift the battery forward. My plane is set up with elevons only. I did not put movable surfaces on the wing.
Yes, moving cg toward will increase stability in all axes. Do it in small increments till it flies to your taste.
May 21, 2020, 05:02 PM
I just got a Dollar Tree foam F-22 about finished and I need to know where the balance point is. Can you help me out? RCNutt
May 21, 2020, 09:30 PM
See attached image. That's a good starting point. After that, fine tune to suit your flying style preference.
As I said before, moving CG forward will result in higher stability. As your skill improves you can experiment moving it back for more maneuverability
May 22, 2020, 06:18 AM

F-22 pic

Thanx Nuteman, I'll start there and see if it will fly. Here is where I am in my build. Waiting for the motor, props and battery pack.. RCNutt
May 22, 2020, 09:35 AM
I have built several F22 big and small. The C of G on a prop in slot model is just at the front of the motor mount.
Michael
May 22, 2020, 01:00 PM
Ok thanx Cessna180j I'll try that . Waiting for motor prop and battery to come. RCNutt
May 23, 2020, 06:26 PM
"Marcy" VF-A
Nice job Gil. It looks great, and I'm sure it will fly fine for you. I finished up a couple last winter from Tomhe's plans. I stretched the white one 2" behind the intakes. It gave me more room for battery placement, and the 64mm edf.
Let us know how it goes.
May 24, 2020, 12:46 PM
The 2 F22 S look great. The one with the fan would be an interesting build. Here is my latest F22 build. 36 inch span .
This one is 44 inch span, unfortunately decided to crash into a tree. It flew better with the wing tips extended.
Michael

Quick Reply