Mar 19, 2016, 07:26 PM
Thread OP
Question

Which propellers and motors to use for this type of quadcopter?

Hey,

I've never built a quadcopter before, and I need to plan out the one I'm currently working on. This quadcopter will have 'small' propellers for a more aerobactic design. I am aware this means it will be less energy efficient that props with a larger diameter. I plan on using a 4S LiPo.

Could someone help out with the diameter, pitch, and motor rating I should use for this sort of design? I assume the ESC should just be a few amps higher than the motors' maximum capacity, so I should be able to deduce which ESCs to purchase after knowing the motors I'm going for. I'm not sure how to calculate the prop size needed, or necessary motor rating to provide enough lift from those propellers. I am only aware that the propellers will not be considered large, and will be relatively smaller in comparison to some other RC quadcopters. If weight is a variable which needs to be considered, I cannot yet produce and estimate, although I know that the waudcopter will be considered relatively light-weight.

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2016, 07:41 PM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
If you don't know everything you need to know to answer these questions already, then you probably shouldn't be making this class of quad rotor. On the other hand, you seem to have a general outline of the information you need. If you can fill in the information yourself with the hours of research it will take to answer all of these questions, then you may prove you have the patience and faculties necessary to fly one of these class from the start. Good luck!
Mar 19, 2016, 10:04 PM
Aerobatic quads tend to use larger props for the higher thrust to weight ratio that they provide. They will help stabilize the quad with their larger diameter as well, giving a more "floaty" feel. Pitch will also play a large roll in efficiency and thrust.

You should start with the frame you intend to start with first before deciding on motors,escs and prop size. You should have a general idea of the size and weight before deciding how much power you require. You can base your ESC requirement on what motor and prop combination you decide to go with by searching through thrust charts that are usually provided by motor manufacturers. Leaving a little headroom never hurts when deciding which esc to use but there's no need to go overboard as it will add unneccessary weight. They should at least be able to handle the amp draw at 100% throttle on a full battery for 10 seconds to be safe.
Mar 20, 2016, 05:04 AM
Armattan Spy
If I were you, find out what size Quad do you want to build (250/180 etc) then by a DIY kit that includes everything need to build it.... Much easier for your first build and takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. You will learn a lot from that and then you can build something different next time....
Mar 20, 2016, 05:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyStain View Post
If you don't know everything you need to know to answer these questions already, then you probably shouldn't be making this class of quad rotor. On the other hand, you seem to have a general outline of the information you need. If you can fill in the information yourself with the hours of research it will take to answer all of these questions, then you may prove you have the patience and faculties necessary to fly one of these class from the start. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted78 View Post
Aerobatic quads tend to use larger props for the higher thrust to weight ratio that they provide. They will help stabilize the quad with their larger diameter as well, giving a more "floaty" feel. Pitch will also play a large roll in efficiency and thrust.

You should start with the frame you intend to start with first before deciding on motors,escs and prop size. You should have a general idea of the size and weight before deciding how much power you require. You can base your ESC requirement on what motor and prop combination you decide to go with by searching through thrust charts that are usually provided by motor manufacturers. Leaving a little headroom never hurts when deciding which esc to use but there's no need to go overboard as it will add unneccessary weight. They should at least be able to handle the amp draw at 100% throttle on a full battery for 10 seconds to be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnecJP View Post
If I were you, find out what size Quad do you want to build (250/180 etc) then by a DIY kit that includes everything need to build it.... Much easier for your first build and takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. You will learn a lot from that and then you can build something different next time....

Realistically, my frame may weigh around 500g. Would that help anyone determine a prop diameter/pitch? I am looking for a relatively higher pitch, and a relatively lower diameter if possible.
Mar 20, 2016, 08:01 AM
I take it your planning to build a much larger quad than a 250? Perhaps a 450mm? In that case these may suit your needs. http://www.getfpv.com/propellers/hqp...de-2-pack.html

Without being more specific, it's hard for us to give more recommendations.
Mar 20, 2016, 08:01 AM
Armattan Spy
Your frame is going to be a big factor in knowing what prop size you're going to use

Which frame or what size is it?
At least at that point you will know what kind of motors and the maximum prop size that you will be able to use.
Once your frame and motor choices are taken care of then we can start talking about prop size, pitch and esc choice.

Without knowing the platform that you're planning to build on it's kind of pointless to discuss what size your props are going to be....
Mar 21, 2016, 03:29 AM
ecalc.ch

drone-configurator.com
Mar 21, 2016, 04:16 AM
If you want to build from scratch a "small" quadcopter for freestyle and a little bit of racing, you can see this list of parts because they are an example of exactly what's needed for that with good parts: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2595302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellby View Post
For the quadcopter itself:
- Frame: Emax Nighthawk Pro 200
- FC/OSD: Mix between a SP Racing F3 and a Seriously Dodo, 6dof board with OSD integrated
- ESCs: 4x LittleBees 20A
- Motors: 4x Emax RS2205 2300kv
- PDB: PDB with 5V/12V BEC + XT-60 power cable
- FPV: RunCam PZ0420M + Eachine 200mW Raceband + Fatshark ImmersionRC SpiroNet
- Props: Gemfan 5050 triblades + DAL 5045 bullnose
- LiPo: Giant Power 4s 1500mah 65C + Battery strap
- Buzzer: 5V buzzer for quadcopter

For the "ground station":
- Transmitter: Taranis X9D Plus with FrSky XJT module + FrSky X4R-SB receiver
- Goggles: DIY FPV Video Glasses 32ch + Lipo 2S 2200mah

For the lipo charger:
- Charger: SkyRC iMax B6AC v2 + Lipo bag

For building/mending the quadcopter:
- Dupont cables
- Nylon spacers
- Zip ties
- Heat shrink tubing
- Soldering Station + Solder wire
- Multimeter
- DALRC motor wrench
- Also some screwdriver and hex keys, but I already have those.
Some remarks about it: You don't really need this frame, every frame from size 210 to 280 would be good, ZMR250 is a good frame for instance. And I would probably use Little Bee 30A ESCs instead of the 20A version.
Apr 02, 2016, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Hey everyone,

I've decided on the motors: KINGKONG 2204-2300Kv Multi Copter Motors which can be found on HobbyKing. Could someone help find suitable measurements for the props? They will be relatively small, and have a relatively high pitch - although I'm not sure which ones to pick. Which are most suitable for the motors I have chosen?

Thanks.
Apr 02, 2016, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
I found these propellers: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...CCW_2pcs_.html

To me they seem suitable, but would 5 inch props work better with the motors I have selected above, or are these 4 inch ones good enough?
Apr 02, 2016, 03:40 PM
With 2300kv, use 5" props. With these motors, i wouldn't go higher than 5040 or 5045 non-bullnose.

If you want to use 4" props, use 2600kv motors.

After that, 5" or 4" depends on the frame you want to use...
Last edited by ZeblodS; Apr 02, 2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Typos
Apr 02, 2016, 08:47 PM
Armattan Spy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Knowledge View Post
I found these propellers: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...CCW_2pcs_.html

To me they seem suitable, but would 5 inch props work better with the motors I have selected above, or are these 4 inch ones good enough?
It would really depend on what size frame you're putting them on. Small frame can't run 5 inch props.
In which case 4 inch props will have to be used
Decide on your frame and then you will be able to narrow down the prop selection.
I use different brand motors but the same size with the same KV rating. The maximum size my frame will allow is 4 inch. I use dal 4045bn tri-blades.
Lots of other people run those motors on slightly larger frames as well that will allow 5 inch or 6 inch props.
There's a balance you have to consider and your frame your motors the size of your battery and everything will weigh into that decision.
For some reason this doesn't seem to be clicking with you...

Quick Reply