Mar 18, 2016, 08:05 PM
Learn to build with wood.
Thread OP
Discussion

Wait! That's not what I fly! What the heck????

NO doubt who they're targeting over there at the federal agency responsible for aircraft and our annoyance....
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2016, 08:24 PM
Learn to build with wood.
Thread OP
Good point...
Last edited by Tucci; Mar 19, 2016 at 04:46 AM.
Mar 18, 2016, 10:02 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I would discourage putting the number on the out side of the plane and posting it on the net.

There are those that will use your number for other than honorable purposes.

I know I will! It is like posting your SS number.
Mar 19, 2016, 03:18 AM
mutski
I noticed whne I registered there wasn't a single picture of a fixed-wing AIRPLANE. My flying buddy has been doing it for 30 or 40 years, doesn't believe me when I tell him he is supposed to register. If he actually went to the FAA site, it would convince him he is right. Doesn't make it any clearer that the FAA calls them "drones," a word most people associate either with military aircraft in Afghanistan or DJI Phantoms. Or UAVs. What the heck are they? If they want us to register to fly airplanes they should maybe use the word once.
Mar 19, 2016, 08:49 AM
Kamikaze Ace
Well it could be that they use said picture as those are the types of craft, and their owners, that got us into this mess.
Mar 19, 2016, 09:48 AM
Lou
Lou
Old news.
Mar 19, 2016, 10:42 AM
Fly planes, Be happy
I don't fly drones. I fly model airplanes. The registration process does not apply to me.
Mar 19, 2016, 11:05 AM
circle flyer
A model airplane IS a drone.......

A drone is a remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile.
Mar 19, 2016, 11:26 AM
Too many numbers
Yup. Unmanned Aircraft System. If it flies, and your butt isn't in the pilot's seat of said aircraft, it's a UAS.
Mar 19, 2016, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow and low
A model airplane IS a drone.......

A drone is a remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile.
That wasn't always the definition. If you ask around i'll bet you'll find people in this hobby that define "drone" as any unmanned aircraft that also has some sort of autonomous capability (sense and avoid, GPS waypoints, etc.) regardless of MR vs heli vs fixed wing. Some people would say that a drone is only the "military UAVs" regardless if it is fully remotely piloted (no autonomous capabilites at all). And some people will say "any quadcopter", or some might say "any quadcopter with a camera". Now that "drone" has so many different meanings, and the definitions appear to be changing over time, it's getting pretty confusing.

Oh, and also, now the FAA is referring to all UAS/RC model aircraft as drones (and even showing a picture of a quadcopter), when they really mean ALL rc model aircraft. They use the correct term in their regulations/laws (sUAS), but they use "drone" in all their publicity/website material; and it makes the entire situation unnecessarily unclear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave
Yup. Unmanned Aircraft System. If it flies, and your butt isn't in the pilot's seat of said aircraft, it's a UAS.
I would much appreciate it if the FAA and the media in general would use the term UAS to refer to RC model aircraft instead of the word drone. Drone has too many meanings to different people. Also, it has a negative connotation (because of the military applications).
Mar 19, 2016, 01:38 PM
A man with too many toys
The FAA is concerned about drones and seams to have no interest in fixed wing aircraft. I have never understood why they chose to include 2lb foam parkflyers. Maybe the AMA can get them to fix that.

Mar 19, 2016, 01:42 PM
This might help.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2444459
Mar 19, 2016, 01:44 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo131
That wasn't always the definition. If you ask around i'll bet you'll find people in this hobby that define "drone" as any unmanned aircraft that also has some sort of autonomous capability (sense and avoid, GPS waypoints, etc.) regardless of MR vs heli vs fixed wing. Some people would say that a drone is only the "military UAVs" regardless if it is fully remotely piloted (no autonomous capabilites at all). And some people will say "any quadcopter", or some might say "any quadcopter with a camera". Now that "drone" has so many different meanings, and the definitions appear to be changing over time, it's getting pretty confusing.

Oh, and also, now the FAA is referring to all UAS/RC model aircraft as drones (and even showing a picture of a quadcopter), when they really mean ALL rc model aircraft. They use the correct term in their regulations/laws (sUAS), but they use "drone" in all their publicity/website material; and it makes the entire situation unnecessarily unclear!

I would much appreciate it if the FAA and the media in general would use the term UAS to refer to RC model aircraft instead of the word drone. Drone has too many meanings to different people. Also, it has a negative connotation (because of the military applications).

I agree; most of the public considers a multirotor a drone. Also military drones that shoot missiles. I have never heard anyone call a model airplane a drone.

The FAA should have adopted a capabilities based system. If no autopilot and no FPV it should not require registration.

Mar 19, 2016, 01:48 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp
If someone asks my if that’s a drone I always say ‘NO it’s just a model airplane”. That’s what we have called them for 100 years and I am getting too old to change.

Mar 19, 2016, 02:02 PM

Bend the FAA's nose

Here is something I found that should put a knot the
FAA shorts. It does not fly in FAA controlled airspace.
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Def...query=NF-12800
If you really got to fly something and have lots of money consider this.
After all there is no reg for it.

Quick Reply