Feb 25, 2017, 01:04 PM
WAGG,
Before installing side windows, I make a windshield pattern out of manila folder and trim it to fit with proper overlaps at sides and top. I trial fit the windshield and clip it to side pillars with small spring paper clips. Next, I poke holes with pins through plastic into scrap balsa at top using needle nose pliers close to needle point. Finally, I apply RC-56 canopy glue to one side pillar and clamp side of windshield to pillar with spring paper clip, then repeat for other side. I apply RC-56 at top of cabin structure and force pins through holes with needle nose pliers. Clean up glue with wet Q-tip if needed before glue sets. RC-56 gets clear when dry/cured. Apply thin bead of RC-56 at base of windshield. Apply strip of tape over base of windshield if desired
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2020, 07:07 PM

First Build Waco

Thanks to Pat and Brian for answering all the questions from this fist time builder. Haven't flown yet, waiting for the weather.
Oct 30, 2020, 07:32 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Dave

Looks great.

Just make sure to check your balance carefully and make sure it is correct or a tad bit nose heavy. had a devil of a time getting the CG right on mine for whatever reason (first 3 flights were all very tail heavy and only the superb piloting skills of my buddy Ron prevented disaster).Finally got the CG sorted out and she flies nicely but I had to add about 4 to 5 oz of weight to the nose to get the balance right. This is the only Pat T design I have built (out of 20+) that I have built that I had major balance flight trimming issues with. All the others have been spot on or close enough.

So check and make sure and good luck on the test flights!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Feb 21, 2021, 01:06 PM
Hi

I read thru again the article in Model Airplane News from October 2019 and was considering building this model in between large scale warbirds as something different. Sort of back to free flight and rubber model type construction from long ago. Size is appropriate for easy transport.

Couple of questions if I might:

1. What did you use/recommend for small servos for such a model?
2. For construction do you use CA or something like Sig Bond or Titebond?
3. Would a Suppo 2212/15 still be appropriate ?
4. What would you recommend for covering?

Would likely try covering with Polyspan light
Thanks

Ray
Feb 21, 2021, 03:27 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Ray

For my 42" Waco I used Hitec HS53/HS55 servos all around. Anything in that size/power range is more than specific.

I used CA to build it as I am impatient but Titebond/Sigbond or similar would also be fine.

The Suppo 2215 should work fine just make sure to get one with a Kv similar to the park 400 Pat used in the original. Think it was about a Kv of 1000 so anything in the 950 or so to 1100 or so range would be good.

Mine was covered with World Models Lightex film. Pat used Solite which is no longer available. Parklite film would also be good. Have not used Polyspan lite so I can not advise as to its suitability. If you use it watch the amount of paint that you use to keep the weight in check.

On mine I had a devil of a time getting the balance correct to the point where it would be flyable. The first few attempts were very tail heavy and almost met with disaster. Make sure when you balance it you are sure that it is correct. The short nose and long tail will require a fair amount of forward weight to get it to balance so make sure to watch your weight in the tail end and try to get everything as far forward as possible.

The following link goes to my build thread for the SRE if you want to take a look.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...le-42-Waco-SRE

Hope this helps.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Feb 21, 2021 at 08:07 PM.
Feb 21, 2021, 04:56 PM
Thank you Brian for your quick and detailed response.

I skimmed thru your thread and appreciate the detailed posts. Very helpful.

Ray
Feb 26, 2021, 07:44 PM
The WACO SRE short kit should be arriving next week and have been collecting items for it. Will start cutting balsa sheets into sticks to make a full kit.

One remaining item is:

"lite duty Ca hinge stock ", as noted by Pat T.

Only thing I can locate is E-Flite Park Flyer CA Hinges (EFLA217) from Graves RC.

Is There a source for this?

Thanks

Ray
Feb 27, 2021, 07:14 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Get the following from Graves RC and just cut them down to about 1/4" to 5/16" in width. I do this for all the Pat T builds I do.

https://www.gravesrc.com/radio-south...-scale-24.html

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew

Quick Reply