Mar 16, 2016, 11:52 AM
Thread OP

Prepping for Cover

Now that the major framing and shaping is done and all of the hinges are in place, it's time for a final detail sanding to prep for cover. Once everything looks good, the parts are set aside and ready to get started.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2016, 11:57 AM
Thread OP

Covering the Waco

Microlite was used to cover the model, and the trim was hand cut from Callie's stock vinyl sheets. I have the numbers ordered, and as soon as they get here will get them applied.

The plastic pars, struts and landing gear were painted to match using Model Master Blue Angles Yellow. It's not a perfect match for Microlite yellow, but it's as close as anything I've found so far.
Mar 16, 2016, 11:59 AM
Beautiful model you made there. Should be a great flier.

Mike
Mar 16, 2016, 12:15 PM
Thread OP

Final Assembly

The control surfaces are hinged using 5/32" wide strips of lite duty Cya hinge stock glued in with Canopy 560 glue. The cabin windows were cut out and glued to the inside of the fuselage. That can be a bit tricky, but it's worth the effort. The windows can be glued to the outside, but it won't look quite as good.

The aileron and flap push rods were made up from .032 steel wire and installed on the wings. The wings were plugged in and the tail section aliened and glued in place. The elevator push rod and rudder cables were run in and connected

The windshield was cut from .008 Acetate and glued in place and the trim added using vinyl sheet stock.

The wheel pants were hand fitted, then tack glued in place using Bondo since it flashed off rather quickly, then the pants were secured with 5 minute Epoxy.

The interplane struts were glued in place and the wing rigging was added using nylon carpet repair thread. The wings were secured to the fuselage with yellow vinyl to simulate the wing root fairings.

And last but not least, the engine details were added using .047 aluminum wire and insulated electrical wire for the push rods and ignition leads.
Mar 16, 2016, 12:38 PM
Thread OP

Setting Up the Radio and Balancing the Model

The Waco was set up using my new JR XG8 Tx and the RG612BX Rx. The control throws were set up using the TLAR method, with the flaps deployed 15 degrees for take-off and 35 degrees for landing with just a pinch of down elevator. Will do the final trimming and set up after the initial test flights.

The CG was set up using a 1300 2S Lipo battery. The battery tray was made up from lite ply and glued in place atop the landing gear mount beams. The hatch cover is made up from .010 styrene. The stringer lines were scribed on the inside and the retailer clips added using 1/8 x 1/4 balsa and .010 styrene. The outside was painted to match and when dry the cover installed.

At this point the model is ready to go, and as soon as she's flown will post up a few static and in-flight shots. Then it'll be off to finish up "the paperwork" and get the kits ready to go.

PAT
Mar 16, 2016, 01:11 PM
Balsa Builder
Awesome as always Pat, I really love the SRE.
Mar 16, 2016, 01:28 PM
Wow! Don't blink, quick thread! Very nice looking bird. I'll look forward to seeing a maiden (video) I hope
Mar 16, 2016, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Actually, I started the build a week ago Saturday and have been hard at it ever since. The weather looks promising both tomorrow and Friday, so let's hope the weather guessers are right (this time).

PAT
Mar 16, 2016, 06:38 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Should be a nice flying model that fits in a small car. I remember building a Sterling SR-E, a dinosaur ate it.

I think it's older than I am.
Mar 17, 2016, 03:22 PM
Thread OP

Applying the Decals

Got the decals from Callie this morning and got them applied. At this point it's all done except for flying. We got out this morning, but between the wind, cold, and 32 fire trucks on the runway decided to bag it till tomorrow and try again.

PAT
Mar 17, 2016, 05:22 PM
Sounds like there is an interesting side story about why there were 32 fire trucks out on the runway.
Mar 17, 2016, 07:23 PM
Neophyte hacker
They use the balloon park for routine training. Usually they are just on the perimeter but sometimes they use up a lot of our flying area.

charlie
Mar 18, 2016, 01:23 PM
Thread OP

Another Successful Maiden

The weather was as close to perfect as it gets this morning, so gathered up the gear and went to it.

The Waco Flies great, but needed a lot of down elevator trim. Will build the change into the plans so the kit builders won't have the same problem. But once the trim was right, the model flew just great! She's not the least bit lazy on the controls, and even with full flaps is crisp and responsive to input, but slows down real well. In all, I'd call it a grand success.

So now, it's time to get the paperwork buttoned up and get some kits out there. . . . .

PAT
Mar 18, 2016, 09:00 PM
Balsa Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
The weather was as close to perfect as it gets this morning, so gathered up the gear and went to it.

The Waco Flies great, but needed a lot of down elevator trim. Will build the change into the plans so the kit builders won't have the same problem. But once the trim was right, the model flew just great! She's not the least bit lazy on the controls, and even with full flaps is crisp and responsive to input, but slows down real well. In all, I'd call it a grand success.

So now, it's time to get the paperwork buttoned up and get some kits out there. . . . .

PAT
When I was working on the HobbyKing Waco SRE ARF prototypes, I had the same issue with the SRE needing a lot of down trim. Solved that, she flew really nicely....though didn't put flaps on it.
Mar 18, 2016, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
Paul, I think that's just the nature of the beast. So far, every one I've seen acts the same way from a 6' span down to a 24" 3 ch. It must have something to do with the wing arrangement creating a whole lot of lift. So, to correct the situation the kits will have a built in 2 degrees of positive incidence, and should fly with neutral. or nearly neutral trim.

PAT

Quick Reply