Mar 15, 2016, 11:22 AM
Free Falling
Thread OP
Discussion

HeadPlay HD Goggles - DVR and Toggle for 1.3 and 5.8 mods

Update:

I have all the details of this thread and more on my site in this article.

I was inspired by a few on here who have dived into modding their Headplay HDs to support Mini DVRs onboard, as well as one or two that have done the 1.3 - 5.8 mod.

GOALS

Add a fatshark 1.3 module (unclear on if any wires comes with it, though shouldnt matter)..

Use a Toggle for 1.3 vs 5.8 Rocker 3 prong switch to either provide power to 5.8 or 1.3 (no off switch).

Use a Dip for 1.3 frequencies Switch to set the frequency on the 1.3 (unclear how this will work out).

Have the mini DVR wired into either 1.3/5.8 and also be able to playback on av2.

Embed a voltage alarm into the wiring so that it goes off at a preset voltage say 11.1v (ill connect to ground and voltage only, no balance connection so no cell volts).

1.3 and 5.8 i'm assuming ill splice only into the av1 wiring for video receiving.

At this point here is my prewiring thoughts, note av1 i havent finished off in the first picture, because i'm not quite sure yet how the wiring will iron out in conjunction with the switch and yet to add the dip to the image.

In the one image of the HP board (not the receiver module but the board), you can see solder points on the back that can be used, but i'm going to tap into the two grey/white cables for av1 and av2, easier soldering and junction points.

My other wiring diagram i'm just missing the piece to make the toggle switch work.. I think ill leave the av2 wires still going to the main port on the outside (for video out).

My plan is to embed the dvr on the one side of the goggles and to also embed the voltage alarm and dip switch.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Last edited by markm75; Jun 01, 2016 at 09:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2016, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75
I was inspired by a few on here who have dived into modding their Headplay HDs to support Mini DVRs onboard, as well as one or two that have done the 1.3 - 5.8 mod.

GOALS

Add a fatshark 1.3 module (unclear on if any wires comes with it, though shouldnt matter)..

Use a Toggle for 1.3 vs 5.8 Rocker 3 prong switch to either provide power to 5.8 or 1.3 (no off switch).

Use a Dip for 1.3 frequencies Switch to set the frequency on the 1.3 (unclear how this will work out).

Have the mini DVR wired into either 1.3/5.8 and also be able to playback on av2.

Embed a voltage alarm into the wiring so that it goes off at a preset voltage say 11.1v (ill connect to ground and voltage only, no balance connection so no cell volts).

1.3 and 5.8 i'm assuming ill splice only into the av1 wiring for video receiving.

At this point here is my prewiring thoughts, note av1 i havent finished off in the first picture, because i'm not quite sure yet how the wiring will iron out in conjunction with the switch and yet to add the dip to the image.

In the one image of the HP board (not the receiver module but the board), you can see solder points on the back that can be used, but i'm going to tap into the two grey/white cables for av1 and av2, easier soldering and junction points.

My other wiring diagram i'm just missing the piece to make the toggle switch work.. I think ill leave the av2 wires still going to the main port on the outside (for video out).

My plan is to embed the dvr on the one side of the goggles and to also embed the voltage alarm and dip switch.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
here is the wirirng
Mar 15, 2016, 11:49 AM
also, be sure to test both audio on the rx, cause only one of those will work with the hps. the one i wired worked for me.
Mar 15, 2016, 12:41 PM
Free Falling
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobaoe
also, be sure to test both audio on the rx, cause only one of those will work with the hps. the one i wired worked for me.

Thanks looks solid. i think in your diagram for av2, rssi, thats actually 12v right?

So in my case i'm splicing into the wiring for a/v to share the av1 for both 1.3 and 5.8..

I'm unclear on the toggle switch, which metal prong is for what.. so.. i'm not sure if this is right or not, but based on your diagram i came up with this for the toggle prongs?

Seems to me this wouldnt work right, but maybe i'm misunderstanding how the poles on the switch works.
Mar 15, 2016, 01:09 PM
you have to have the + wire from the board to the "main" pole on the switch, then the wire from 5.8 and 1,3 on one on each pole. if you wire it as youve shown the 5.8 will be on all the time when you use the 1,3.

you have to take a multimeter and measure how the switch operates.
Mar 15, 2016, 01:17 PM
this is how the switch works,, you just have to measure the connectivity to confirm wich is wich.
Mar 15, 2016, 01:50 PM
Free Falling
Thread OP
Quote:
this is how the switch works,, you just have to measure the connectivity to confirm wich is wich.
Thanks.. so to confirm this ill use the continuity 1/0 test portion of the multi meter to see if i get a one when tested over the first two prongs when flipped one way, then zero when the other and vice versa i think..

Based on this, if my switch is the same.. i think the final diagram should look something like this..

Ill have to see if i need to extend the mini dvr wires or not as well.. and live with just a whole battery voltage test for 11.1 or similar.
Mar 15, 2016, 02:01 PM
Focus-Fixers for DJI Goggles
What voltage alarm are you planning on using?
Mar 15, 2016, 02:02 PM
you did understand how to wire the dip swithces?
Mar 15, 2016, 02:11 PM
i sugest this one, can program it to beep when its 11.1v wich is perfect. im using that one. and you dont have to use the balance leads on the battery wich is nice.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ane_Alarm.html
Mar 15, 2016, 02:43 PM
Focus-Fixers for DJI Goggles
Quote:
i sugest this one, can program it to beep when its 11.1v wich is perfect. im using that one. and you dont have to use the balance leads on the battery wich is nice.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ane_Alarm.html
This does look good. Does the lost model alarm functionality cause a problem? < beeps when the unit is still too long?
Mar 15, 2016, 02:49 PM
Free Falling
Thread OP
Quote:
you did understand how to wire the dip swithces?
I believe so, though until i get the dip switches in the mail from amazon and the 1.3 module in front of me, i wont know for sure.. i assume the dip switch i ordered will do the job.
Mar 15, 2016, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff
This does look good. Does the lost model alarm functionality cause a problem? < beeps when the unit is still too long?
i did let the hps powered on a fully charged 3s batt and it only beepep when it got to 11.1. so there was no beeping inbetween. so there was no problem with the lost alarm function.
Mar 15, 2016, 02:51 PM
Free Falling
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff
What voltage alarm are you planning on using?
I believe the alarms i have on hand are these which usually show total volts and individual cell voltage.. if these wont work then i guess ill need to get the HK version
Mar 15, 2016, 02:56 PM
i dont think you can make them work correctly by just plugging in + and gnd.

Quick Reply