Four Giant Scale Trainers To Consider

Docile and large, the giant-scale trainer is great for stepping up to play with the big boys without breaking your wallet in the process. Here's four trainers that are perfect for learning to fly big!

Four Giant Scale Trainers To Consider

It's Time to Step Up in Scale

So you've mastered the parkflyers and you're ready for the sound and smell of an internal combustion engine in the morning. Your next logical step in your rc flying career is naturally to step into the realm of giant-scale balsa and plywood. But while diving into a giant scale warbird or 3D plane might sound like a great idea on paper, the complexity and performance levels can quickly overwhelm the first-time giant scale pilot. That's why there's a number of trainers out there that big enough to satisfy your giant appetite, relatively easy to fly, and affordable as giant-scale aircraft go. Additionally, almost all of them can be powered by electric setups if you aren't wanting to flip props and crank gasoline pumps. Let's take a look at four trainers that will quickly take up all your remaining hangar space!

The Hangar 9 Valiant 30cc

The Valiant from Hangar 9 was introduced back in 2014 and has remained a strong candidate for a first giant-scale plane. It's relatively docile with a 30cc engine and high-wing flight characteristics, but can easily perform sport aerobatics. It also has optional floats for earning your sea wings.

The Valiant features a 108" wingspan and is ready for the Evolution 33GX gas engine or a similarly sized electric configuration such as the Eflite Power 160. Standard on the Valiant are flaps, fiberglass cowl, tinted lexan cockpit windows, and removable tail surfaces. Optional tundra tires are also available.

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 108.3 in (275 cm)
  • Overall Length: 78.2 in (199 cm)
  • Wing Area: 1663.0 sq. in. (107.3 sq. dm.)
  • Flying Weight: 16.5 - 17.5 lb ( 7.48 - 7.94 kg)
  • Engine: 33cc
  • Motor: Power 160
  • Radio: 6+ channel
  • Servos: Gas: 8 servos EP: 7 servos
  • Wing Loading: 23-24 oz/sq ft.
  • Prop Size: Gas: 17-18x8, EP: 18x10
  • Speed Control : 80A
  • Battery: EP: 37.0V 10S (5S x2) 5000mAh LiPo RX: 6.6V 2S 2200 - 3000mAh Li-Fe

CLICK HERE for more info on the Hangar 9 Valiant 30cc ARF

The Aeroworks Trainer GT

The Trainer GT from Aeroworks has been tearing up the skies since 2013. Its a solid giant scale trainer with plenty of performance on a 30cc, and just-right flight characteristics on a 20cc. The huge wing is actually semi-symmetrical for sport aerobatic prowess, and the trike landing gear give it that classic trainer stance.

Specifications:

• Wing Span: 88 inches.
  • Wing Area: 1320 sq. in.
  • Fuse Length (Rudder to Front of Cowl): 70.5"
  • Fuse Length (Rudder to Front of Spinner): 74"
  • Cowl Width: 6.25"
  • Spinner Size: 3
  • Weight: 11 to 13 lbs
  • Engine: 20cc to 30cc
  • Radio: 6 Channel minimum

CLICK HERE for more info on the Aeroworks Trainer GT

The Great Planes Avistar 30cc

This one is the most recent offering from Great Planes, and is one sharp looking high-wing trainer! The Avistar 30cc features a 2 piece wing, fiberglass cowl and wheel pants and factory hinged flaps. It's a traditional balsa and ply constructed bird that is Almost Ready to Fly. You'll need to provide the electronics and power plant to finish it out. You can go with a 30-35cc gas engine or go with a cleaner electric power setup. It's a great choice for your first giant scale build and it's finished out in an attractive MonoKote color scheme from the factory. Floats are also available for this monster to allow for precise takeoffs and landings on the lake.

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 90.5" (2300mm)
  • Wing Area: 1448 sq in (93.4 sq dm)
  • Weight: 16.5-17.5 lb (7.5-7.9 kg)
  • Length: 77.25" (1962mm)
  • Wing Loading: 26-28 oz/sq ft (79-85 g/sq dm)
  • Center of Gravity: 4-1/2" (138mm) - 5-7/16" (114mm)

Click here for more info on the Great Planes Avistar 30cc.

The Senior Telemaster Plus

Easily the most iconic plane in our list, the Senior Telemaster Plus from Hobby Express (formerly Hobby Lobby) is a kitten of a giant scale trainer that floats like a glider and can haul quite a payload in the process. As a former owner of the Senior Telemaster Plus, I can say that it's one of the most enjoyable giant-scale planes I've ever owned, lending itself to predictable takeoffs and landings, and some interesting slow and methodical aerobatics too.

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 94" 2388mm
  • Wing Area: 1330 sq in
  • Wing type: Built up balsa flat airfoil
  • AUW weight: Advertised 9 lbs (4.1kg) Actual 9lb 5oz (4255g)
  • Length: 64" (1626mm)
  • Wing loading: ~16.2oz/sq ft
  • Cube loading: 5.3
  • Servos: 6 - Standard

CLICK HERE for more info on the Senior Telemaster Plus from Hobby Express

Share Your Giant Trainer

Have another giant scale trainer that's worthy of mention? Share it with us!

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Mar 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM..
Mar 15, 2016, 12:37 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
I'll submit the AMR 26 and Trainer 50. I've built the 26; it was an excellent first kit with tabs, slots and notches to make for an easy build. It's an easy flier with no bad habits. Mine had was overpowered with a DLE 30; I'm looking for a smaller engine.

Mar 15, 2016, 01:47 PM
Well, there is the new Hangar Nine Carbon Cub with a 90 inch wingspan and weight of 11.4 pounds, but I don't know how it would handle when compared with the other taildraggers in this group. Price points for these contenders isn't discussed, but the Carbon Cub seems reasonably priced.
Mar 15, 2016, 02:13 PM
trainers/ tow planes
Mar 16, 2016, 11:41 AM
SIG Rascal 110
Mar 16, 2016, 12:10 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
SIG Rascal 110
Another very good choice!!
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Mar 16, 2016, 12:50 PM
Fully Sending It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
SIG Rascal 110
I second this. Such a huge and gentle flying airplane with retro style looks.
Mar 17, 2016, 12:43 PM
Master Procrastinator
Perhaps not exactly at home in the "Trainer" category, but surely not any more difficult than the Telemaster would be, IMO, the Lazy Ace biplane (76" WS).
Mar 18, 2016, 04:26 PM
fix-n-fly
How about this: http://www.btemodels.com/sfk.html ? or this: https://amr-rc.com/products/trainer-50?taxon_id=475? I realize the planes that are shown are ARFs, but I think these would qualify if kits are allowed.
Mar 18, 2016, 04:27 PM
fix-n-fly
how about this - http://www.btemodels.com/sfk.html?
Aug 01, 2017, 10:56 AM
How does the Sig Rascal 110 compare to the Valiant in flying qualities? Is the Rascal more delicate than the Valiant? etc etc etc
Aug 01, 2017, 10:58 AM
actually if some one would please take a moment to compare and contrast all of these it would be nice!
Aug 01, 2017, 08:44 PM
Well, I have a Rascal 110 with Syssa 30. It is fairly doscile with a long fuse, flies inverted well, and although you have to hold aileron and elevator inputs it is a hoot to knife edge across the field. With flat metal main gear and fiberglass wheelpants I don't think it would tolerate repeated bad landings as well as a true trainer. Basic aerobatics are fun.

I also have an old school kit built 12' Telemaster built with flaps and a cowl, DLE60 twin. Laminated balsa wing spars with no wing tubes, and structural struts. It is a very doscile flier, and will fly at barely more than a walking pace. Coordinating rudder is required to turn the thing around without flying across multiple zip codes. Did a half loop and it didn't seem to want to roll out of it (I was pretty slow). Mostly it stays upright/non-aerobatic. Music wire main gear with suspension will spring without bending, but there is no excuse for landing it badly. It really flies like trainer on a simulator. Think Apprentice, but things happen much slower, and with more gentile flight characteristics despite more effective rudder.

Quick Reply