This thread is privately moderated by Dreamcatcher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 15, 2016, 09:36 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
Yippee!

Home made automatic hot wire saw

My home made automatic hot wire saw project is reaching his end !

I still have some electric wiring to do but i hope to be able to test her soon
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2016, 02:26 AM
hope u will share the project
Mar 16, 2016, 04:57 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
No problem Eagle60,

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want.
If i can answer, i will do with pleasure.

Ciao !
Mar 24, 2016, 11:30 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
Electric wiring are done and the first cutting tests with the new "bow" was successful !

- The power supply is ok
- The nickel guitar string seems to be a good "blade"..
- my Airfoil templates are done

I think to be able to try the first automatic cut this week-end !

Apr 01, 2016, 08:44 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
The firsts tests are successful !

I use an adjustable power supply that is able to deliver : 0 to 35 Volts and 0 to 5 Amp.
I made 3 sets of pulleys (you cas see them in the first post).

When the pulleys are set, i use clamps to fix them to the table (see picture number two here under)

I use a couple of metallic alligator clips linked with heat resistant thin strings that i clamp on the pendulum to pull the bow during the cut.

Current is brought from the adjustable power supply to the nickel "G" guitar string by two silicon wires (2m long) 16AWG.
Each wire is fitted with a metallic alligator clips on one side (i clamp it on the guitar string) and a banana plug on the other side ( i plug it into the power supply).
The silicone wire is very soft, heat resistant (if neede) and rather light weight.

For a 50cm long rectangular half wing, i cut the yellow foam between 3A and 3.3A

The cutting speed (using the foamie wheel) is around 0.25cm per second that give me a pretty nice result.

The weight of the pine wood bar used as pendulum is enough to provide that speed - i if i want to cut a bit faster because of a bigger Amp. i just add another clamp.
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Apr 01, 2016 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply