Aug 11, 2004, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Avonds F-14

Does anyone know of anyone that has successfully built and flown one of Pillip Avond's F-14's? I'm planning on purchasing the plans and foam cores from Larry and JHH within the next couple of weeks, and starting up this project. I know its a HUGE undertaking as i had a set of the plans a few years back, and decided to sell them as it was more than i was willing to undertake at the time. Now i've got more free-time and income, and need something to build. Soo i've decided on this thing. I'm not planning on this being a 1 buildling season project, as even though the income is good, its not That good. I'm planning on putting 2 turbines, and spending a good bit of time on doin it as scale as possible, so if it takes 5 years.. thats fine. Any input would be great too. I'm also planning on building one of there smaller EDF versions, just to get used to the wings swinging in flight.

Thx,
Thomas
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2004, 06:06 AM

F-14

Hi: Thomas
I have the fiberglass body, foam wings, tail, rudders, wing brackets, The body that i have was layed up through Hobby Barn and it was based off of the Avond's plans. I was asking $1500 or best offer.
wayne ... [email protected]
Aug 17, 2004, 06:29 AM
Thread OP
Wayne,
That thing looks good, but a little more than i'm wanting to spend. Plus, i've had one of those fuselages, and spent 3 weeks reshaping formers straight from the avonds plans to get them to fit. Hince the reason i've decided to build the Built-up all wood version, not to mention it'll be a little easier to add alot of those "little" details. Thanks for the offer, but i'll pass. I do have one question for you though. Who made your wing pivot blocks, and what type of metal are they made of (aluminum? thickness?)?

Thomas
Dec 08, 2004, 05:27 AM

F14 project

Philip Avonds reviewed the project by test flying two built from the plans originally done in the USA. I rang & spoke with P Avonds & he said one was heavier than the other & the lighter one flew alot better. Botton line was build the weight close to the centre line. It was originally done with ducted fan but many have built & flown this F14
Building the fuse will be very challenging & there is allot on the rcuniverse formun site.
The landing gear is the most challenging but can be purchased on-line.
There is a better way of doing the wing sweep mechanism.
Yellow aircraft co has some good images of it.
This project will cost you plenty either way = enjoy

David
Dec 08, 2004, 08:10 AM
If you're not in a hurry, I'll bet Skymaster has an F-14 in the works. All of the fun, none of the building hassles!
Dec 08, 2004, 10:50 AM
Permanently Banned
I have seen one fly, it's beautiful.
I think you ought to look hard at what it will really cost you to do one out of balsa. You need quality balsa to keep the weight down, you need a lot of glue, and a LOT of labor. I'm not sure if a glass one is not more economical, in the end!
There is PLENTY of work to do starting with a glass fuse, even.
But to each his own, if you just have to do it out of balsa, I understand perfectly. Great project.
I think, though, if you are talking about two turbines, you have enough on your plate already, and a set of foam cores and a glass fuselage would be a big leg up, and not a really big portion of the total cost of the project.
Jan 01, 2005, 10:44 PM

F-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne65
Hi: Thomas
I have the fiberglass body, foam wings, tail, rudders, wing brackets, The body that i have was layed up through Hobby Barn and it was based off of the Avond's plans. I was asking $1500 or best offer.
wayne ... [email protected]

Hi Wayne, do you know if the accessories are available for the Avonds F14 eg retracts and swing wing mechanism? I have a friend who maybe interested in your F-14 if all the required accessories required to complete the model are readily available...

Cheers-
Dec 07, 2005, 12:13 AM
I am curious...
The Avond plans are a balsa build. I do not see Hobby Barn listing this composite fuse as an item. I am curious if this is a one off they custom built. Did they make thier own mold from the plans?

Thanks
Dec 07, 2005, 06:13 AM

F-14 jet kit.

Hi: Jamjet
Hobby barn sold the Avond plans some time back and if you call them they would lay-up a body for you for a BIG shinny penny. You would have to cut your fome cores yourself. Jet mart makes the same size F-14 and you can custom fit the gear, wing swing and other misc. parts if you don't want to build them yourself.
Wayne.
Dec 07, 2005, 11:48 AM
more kW, more problems
I think yellow aircraft will have an F14 coming out in a little while, I'd email the guy and ask him, he's very friendly on emails. maybe you could work on your EDF now and wait for the yellow to come out? save ya a lot of build time ...
Dec 07, 2005, 04:41 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force

Go with the JHH one for now

Thomas
Fly the wings off of the EDF that is being offered by JHH. I've seen it fly and it performs well. It should take a few hours[] to build. There is a Build thread on the electric (EDF) page .The DCU or Jetmart kit is pretty good( B.Watson) had one. It flew very well with munitions with the wing in all positions, He is building another which will be a "Show stopper" with all the Bells & whistles . Although it did come in HOT when the wing did not come forward.
AS far as yellows F 14 its been coming out " Next Year " for at least 5 years.
Skymaster.... who knows ? maybe one of their shills can comment on its availability
Semper Fi
Joe
Last edited by uncljoe; Dec 08, 2005 at 12:05 PM.
Dec 07, 2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks Wayne,
I will check out Jet Mart. Not that I would have Hobby Barn lay up a fuse, but I am still curious do they use a mold that they made from the plans. I see that they still sell Avonds plans.

Thanks
Dec 15, 2005, 06:36 AM

F-14 Tomcat kit

Hi: Jamjet
Sorry i did not get right back with you. I have not checked R/C groups for any message. But i will fix that.
The body that i have was made from the Avond plans. You will find that the size of the Jet-mart kit and the Avonds are right at the same size. The body that i have is larger then the JHH kit and a tad smaller then the Y/A F-14.
I have thought to make my F-14 an EDF jet, But i don't have the time to do it.
I still have the F-14 for sale.
Thanks.
Wayne.
e-mail : [email protected]
Dec 18, 2005, 06:55 PM
LOL,

You're right, Uncle Joe, it's been taking too long! It's not going to be much longer, now, though. The new, redesigned landing gear are done. They're working on the gear doors right now. Apparently, they're a pain in the butt to do scale. I'd bet good money I'll be building my F-14 this summer.
Dec 30, 2005, 01:27 AM
Tear down the WALL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne65
I still have the F-14 for sale.
Hi wayne,
hmmm, I could be tempted
You have mail

cheers,
RD

Quick Reply