Mar 14, 2016, 02:19 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
Contest

April Cookie Toss at El Dorado Park in Long Beach - April 16, 2016

April Cookie Toss at El Dorado Park in Long Beach - April 16, 2016

The Cookie Toss is on for April. The turn-out at the March event was great, so I'll be doing these on a regular basis.

We have a set of standing goals for this event:
  • Keep it fun and low-pressure to let newer DLG pilots dip their toes into the F3K contest waters. (but it's still fun for the seasoned vets!)
  • Get to know each other! It looks like there are quite a few of us up here, so lets get together!
  • Eat some cookies

Who should come:
If you have a DLG, you should come. All levels of experience are welcome. If you aren’t sure if the “contest thing” is for you, think of it as a fun-fly with friends with a little more structure. There will be experienced F3K pilots there to help out the guys who are new to it, so it’s a great opportunity to learn from the best.

Note: a current AMA membership is required to fly at El Do - so go get one at www.modelaircraft.org if you aren’t a member.

What are the rules?
This event is officially being called a “F3K Fun-Fly”, but it will follow the official FAI rules for F3K. If you aren’t familiar with the F3K tasks, please download the rules here. The hand-launch rules start on page 28...

Pilot’s meeting is at 8:30am and the first round of flying starts at 9:00am. We should wrap up by early afternoon.

We will be flying 6 tasks, with a break for nutrition/hydration between rounds 4 & 5. No food or beverages will be provided, so please bring your own.

Task list:
  1. Task K (Increasing time by 30 seconds, “Big Ladder”)
  2. Task B (Next to last and last flight)
  3. Task I (Three longest flights)
  4. Task F (3 out of 6)
  5. Task D (Increasing time by 15 seconds)
  6. Task H (One, two, three and four minute target flight times, any order)

Chime in on this thread if you’re in (or on the fence).
Update: Registration is open on the Vault. Register at F3XVault com

Registration fee: $zero (and worth every penny)

Note: if you register and then decide at the last minute not to come, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, or simply remove your name from the F3X Vault registry. It's important to keep the flight groups balanced for a two-heat event - I can accommodate last minute changes, but I need to know!

Where is El Dorado?
El Dorado East Regional Park is in Long Beach at 7550 E. Spring St. The Long Beach web site has a map of the park. Don’t be fooled by the map - there is no entrance on Wardlow Road; you must enter through the Spring Street entrance. The flying field is in the northern most part of the park in Area III. Note: There is a $7 entrance fee (unless you have an annual pass).

See you there!

- Matt (your CD)
Last edited by MattN; Apr 09, 2016 at 10:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2016, 09:32 PM
First sign up for the cookies.

Tai
Mar 15, 2016, 12:34 AM
COMPLETE novice here but count me in please. I'll renew my AMA well before the event.

*EDIT - AMA Membership renewed...

Thanks
Loren L
Last edited by llamont; Mar 15, 2016 at 02:09 AM.
Mar 15, 2016, 10:13 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
Outstanding, Loren. You should consider coming by ElDo some weekend and fly with us...
Mar 15, 2016, 10:15 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP

Registration open on the Vault

I've created an event in F3X Vault.

Please register at F3XVault.com

If you are new, you'll have to create an ID.
Mar 15, 2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks MattN! I have a prior scheduled obligation this weekend however, I will definitely come out to El Dorado in the not so distant future.
Mar 15, 2016, 11:21 PM
I cant make this one unfortunately. We've got a fun fly at Torrey.

I'm glad there are two series this year.

Ray
Apr 03, 2016, 07:58 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
A couple weeks left before the next cookie toss.

I got a new toy today - a set of Armsoar F3K stopwatches. The base station connects via BT to the contest clock (F3K Master) and transmits the official prep/test/window time to the stopwatch. Super easy to use and you'll never be without the window time.

I'll have a pile of watches at the next contest for people to use. Just remember to return them when you're done...

Btw, old dudes: bring prescription sunglasses or reading glasses... The display is a little small...
Apr 03, 2016, 09:47 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Cooool, Matt!!!
Apr 08, 2016, 06:03 PM
So... While I am looking forward to next weekend's Cookie Toss, I am a bit disappointed that I will (likely) only have my UMX Whipit ready. I ordered/paid for (via PayPal) an Elf DLG from a seller here on RCG on March 22 and the guy has gone silent. I was hoping to have the plane before next week but considering the lack of communication I doubt that will be the case. In any event, I'm sure it will be a fun event :-)
Apr 08, 2016, 06:27 PM
Sorry bout that. Just checked, beware of trader with no feedback.
Latest blog entry: DLG Pegs
Apr 08, 2016, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchirrick
Sorry bout that. Just checked, beware of trader with no feedback.
Thanks for the sentiment Bchirrick... I'll take my share of the blame as I'm usually cognitive regarding feedback details. I let another Elf get away so I may have jumped the gun a bit. I'm still going to give the seller the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe life happened. If I have not heard back from the seller by next Wednesday then I will escalate the situation. That will mark 21 days by which all transacted funds should have processed. We'll see though.
Apr 08, 2016, 06:46 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
That ELF has all the earmarks of a scam.

Seller registers March 12, posts ELF for sale the same day.

Says his location is Florence, OR but user picture is from a slope club in Calgary http://www.soarcalgary.org/image-gal.../slope-soaring

I would try and get my money back from Paypal
Apr 08, 2016, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFan
That ELF has all the earmarks of a scam.

Seller registers March 12, posts ELF for sale the same day.

Says his location is Florence, OR but user picture is from a slope club in Calgary http://www.soarcalgary.org/image-gal.../slope-soaring

I would try and get my money back from Paypal
I am going to pursue the claim through PayPal.
Apr 09, 2016, 12:25 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
I might have a DLG I could sell for a reasonable price...

So I guess I need to think of some tasks... anybody have any requests?

Quick Reply