Mar 14, 2016, 06:24 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
Build Log

Micro Shock

Hi Everyone,

Here is a small plane called Micro Shock.

It's a small 3 axis foamie (aileron+rudder+elevator) with a wingspan of 41cm. Weight is 40g ready to fly (including lipo).
It's mainly made of 3mm Depron. 6mm EPP is used for the nose to make it crash proof.

This nice little shock flyer can go either slow or fast and respond very quickly and sharp to inputs. All aerobatics are possible. It can fly in really really small space.
It has more than 100 flights and it is still alive despite all the crashes. The EPP used for the nose is protecting really well the plane.
Fly time is around 7 minutes.

On board equipment:
Extra parts:
CoG is 41mm from wing leading edge.

The full design is attached in a SketchUp file.

Here is a video indoor of the first flight:
Micro Shock (1 min 21 sec)

- Pascal
Last edited by hpnuts; Mar 16, 2016 at 09:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2016, 10:18 PM
Very nice. Is that the stock F939 prop and gearbox? What battery do you use?
Mar 15, 2016, 01:55 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
Thanks. It's the stock F939 prop/gearbox/motor. Lipo is 1S 150mAh. All details are in the first post with all links.
Last edited by hpnuts; Mar 15, 2016 at 03:12 AM.
Mar 15, 2016, 05:23 AM
Very nice. I tried recreating (without any plans) an AS3xtra airframe to house a set of AS3xtra guts I purchased. Wasn't too successful. . .all she'll do is take off and then go nose up and hang on the prop. Kinda cool in an out of control crazy way.

I think I'll strip that one apart and go with these plans - probably a safer bet for a very novice builder/flyer.

My building material of choice is Dollar Tree foamboard. Would you recommend paper on or off for this build? Assuming off, but again I'm new at this.

Thanks for sharing,
Pete
Mar 15, 2016, 05:37 AM
Also, can you clarify where you put the 3 carbon fiber rods for wing reinforcement? I see the one on the leading edge, but what about the other two?

Also, where do you want the CG to be?

Thanks,
Pete
Mar 15, 2016, 05:42 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
Sorry I don't know this product "Dollar Tree foamboard". I don't think it's sold in my country...
You need to build as light as you can.
Latest blog entry: Samson RC Tugboat
Mar 15, 2016, 05:47 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
"Also, can you clarify where you put the 3 carbon fiber rods for wing reinforcement? I see the one on the leading edge, but what about the other two?"
There is only 1 carbon fiber strip (not a rod but flat) of 3mm width and 0.5mm thick glued on the leading edge and nothing else for the wing reinforcement.
Last edited by hpnuts; Mar 16, 2016 at 04:30 AM.
Mar 16, 2016, 04:31 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
CoG information added to the main post.
Apr 04, 2016, 11:51 AM
OK my µShock is flying
Fast but fun, and resistant : I've hit cables, roof, wall... nothing !
Once cut with the cnc all parts fit perfectly.
I'll have to add a bit of colour ; no landing gear to be lighter.
Apr 05, 2016, 02:36 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
Great, it looks like mine when it was brand new ;-)

What's the total weight of your build? (or maybe weight without and with battery)

- Pascal
Apr 05, 2016, 12:44 PM
I don't have a very precise balance : a bit more than 30g without battery, less than 40g with battery...
I have 150mAh & 200mAh v911 batteries, it can fly with both.
Apr 10, 2016, 12:22 PM
SwedenFlyer
I saw this little flyer and instandly i need to build one. Thanks a lot for the plans.
As you can see i am waiting for my brick and small other pieces , and of course clue together this little monster
I like to share my work from today .
Apr 10, 2016, 12:35 PM
Pascal
Thread OP
It looks great with the painting.
I'm wondering if the "little wings" on the main wing will improve the flight on large angles. I might try temporary ones to see the difference.
- Pascal
Apr 10, 2016, 01:00 PM
SwedenFlyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnuts
It looks great with the painting.
I'm wondering if the "little wings" on the main wing will improve the flight on large angles. I might try temporary ones to see the difference.
- Pascal
Hi, it is tape (i am better with knife instead with the pencil)
"the little wings" are stabelizer but not glued yet.
I will make the maiden without them
/J

Quick Reply