Mar 13, 2016, 11:09 PM
Vox Furry Regem
Mini-Review

Cheerson CX - 10W Courtesy GearBest

Cheerson CX - 10 WiFi FPV (Courtesy Gearbest)

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_299013.html

Advertised Specifications;

Brand: Cheerson
Item Name: CX - 10W Mobile Control Flying Camera 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis RC Quadcopter
Frequency: 2.4G
Channel: 4CH
Gyro: 6 Axis
FPV: WIFI
Camera: 0.3MP
Quadcopter Size: 62 x 62 x 20mm
Quadcopter Weight: 15g
Color: Golden, Rosy Red, Light Grey, Dark Grey
Blade Size: 30mm
Battery: 3.7V 150mAh
Flight Time: about 4min
Charging Time: About 60min
Control Distance: About 15 - 30m
Control Battery: 4 x 1.5V AA Battery ( Not Included )
Material: ABS, Electron Component

Package Included:
1 x CX - 10W Mobile RC Quadcopter
1 x USB Charging Cable
4 x Spare Blade
1 x English Manual

Review

It's not often you receive a package so small and surprisingly find an entire quadcopter inside. This lead to the shortest unboxing video ever, the new Cheerson CX - 10W;

CX-10W - Unboxing. (0 min 7 sec)

Inside an extremely good looking Nano in silver;

Underneath you will find four spare props, a USB charging cable and a Manual written in extremely good English with full instructions and diagrams.

Size comparison to the original CX 10 shows how small this little machine still is even with WiFi camera;

The manual is easy to follow and should get you up and running quite quickly. Of course I ignored the manual, installed the wrong app, the one for the Cheerson CX 30 WiFi version and found while activating it I could see an FPV image it kept telling me I was connected to the wrong device. After installing the correct app for the CX 10 (CX - 10 Wifi) I was now able to open the app, turn the quad on and correctly bind.
There is a little blue light on top showing WiFi signal is working and the LEDs stop flashing. Speaking of which these are red in back, blue in front on the legs and are actually very bright and easy to see for orientation

Once you have connection there is a small wire wrapped around underneath which is recommended to pull hanging straight down for better WiFi reception.

The app itself shows two white circles with blue dots, these are your controls, left and right stick. Up top is a row of buttons that allow you to one touch calibrate, take picture, start recording, turn headless on and off etc. Plus it has all trims and seems like a reasonably thought out design giving more features than your your usual nano Tx does.
As well controls can be changed to use your devices tilt function to control the quad.

So all good and ready. Now for the reality. The signal from the quad is not great, blurry images, lagging frame rate, overall unimpressive. This is rendered moot when you decide to fly the quad because now your thumbs are covering the FPV signal. This is no loss, the FPV is not good enough to fly by itself, at most you can use it to frame a shot before you take it, if your thumbs weren't blocking the screen.

Flight: Where do I start, flying a quad via a phone app is not a great idea. You have to watch where your thumbs are because you get no feedback at all. I should be watching the quad but I'm watching my thumbs.
Flying via phone is basically a major pain. There seems to be lag between input and the quads response, making quick movements is impossible, in fact if you are like me you will find keeping it in the air for 10 seconds an achievement to begin with. Ok I can fly MJX with the gravity mode transmitter let's try flying it via tilt. This is worse with the quad seemingly not paying attention to my tilting the phone in anything like real time. Back to using the fake sticks.
All of this is not helped by the quads tendency to drift. Yes you have trim ability on the app but that's also annoyingly fiddly.

But what about actual performance? Well you have three rates, lets go straight to 100%. This quad is slow. Extremely so. very shallow pitch and unbearable yaw rate. I understand they had to do this with the laggy wifi FPV and the slow response to commands from the app but that's more indictment of the failings of the FPV and the app control.

But how about recording? Pictures are blurry low resolution even if you hold the quad still in your hands for maximum image taking. Not so good for taking selfies then.

Video. This recorded at 720 x 576 at 25 Frames Per Second straight to your phone or device.The large lens means it handles low light very well and the video seems relatively smooth, better than I expected compared to taking pictures. It is however grainy and just on the acceptable side.

With practice you start being able to fly this little quad around taking video and it can actually feel like an achievement. But you have to remember all you have achieved is slowly fly a nano around for a short while and take some grainy silent video. The pay off doesn't seem worth the effort.

Now to a possible saving grace. I find mine binds to the CX-10A Tx and can be flown this way. It seems they are making a so called RTF model which comes bundled with this Tx. But as soon as you turn the app on it takes away all control from the Tx.
But wait, a small app called WiFi FPV allows you to connect and receive the WiFi signal and use the Tx to fly.
This is definitely an improvement but remember even on highest rates this quad is extremely shallow in pitch and still has that terribly slow yaw rate.

The FPV is still too laggy to use for anything except line up a shot but hey at least you can now fly it the way it should have been. The whole fly via app is a novelty that isn't up to the job in the price range. If you don't have a compatible TX (DHD D1 and Floureon FX-10 are also compatible) then spending lots of time just learning to fly this is your only option.
Two more issues, flight time is short, maybe 4 minutes and charging via USB can take 60 minutes. So you'll be waiting a lot to get that practice in.

Another issue which I haven't heard others mention so will presume it's possibly just mine, it fell out of the sky regularly as if it had lost binding even though the FPV signal was still broadcasting. Possibly interference causing that issue.

I understand others will have more success at flying this and some are going to love the novelty. It does provide FPV in the smallest cheapest package you can find. But I believe most will find it doesn't do any of it well enough to justify the price.

Wait until RTF version with Transmitter is available.

Pros
Looks Good.
App and FPV actually do work.
Can bind to some transmitters for a better experience.
Good Manual.
Smallest and cheapest FPV on the market.

Cons
Hard to control via app
Laggy FPV and controls.
Slow, very slow.
Needs a Transmitter to really to get best use out of it.
Average video at best.
Cannot record video to quad, no SD card, must be bound to app and use device for recording.

Beginner friendly?

No, learning to use the app is time consuming and does not teach you any real skills needed to fly other quads.
With Transmitter it's extremely slow pace may make it easy for a beginner to get the hang of.

This quad was kindly provided by GearBest for an unbiased review.
Available here;
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_299013.html

I may not see anymore coming my way after this review
Last edited by Lycan Animal; Mar 14, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2016, 11:09 PM
Vox Furry Regem
CX - 10W. With CX - 10A Transmitter and FPV At Same Time.

It's Actually Rates Left Stick. Flips Right Stick.

I'm Using The Tx From a CX - 10A. No Guarantee All CX - 10A Tx's Will Work!

App Available here: https://apkpure.com/wifi-fpv/com.lewei.multiple.wififpv

Apologies For The Terrible Camera Work.

CX - 10W. With CX - 10A Tx and FPV. (2 min 46 sec)

CX - 10W With WiFi FPV App - Raw Footage. CX - 10A Tx.

CX - 10W With WiFi FPV App - Raw Footage. CX - 10A Tx. (1 min 16 sec)

Using the Wifi FPV App And CX - 10A Transmitter

https://apkpure.com/wifi-fpv/com.lewei.multiple.wififpv
Last edited by Lycan Animal; Mar 24, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
Mar 14, 2016, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan Animal
Wait until RTF version with Transmitter is available.
Don't know if it is an official version or just one with bundled CX-10C TX
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheer...00007.6.tb0H8X
Mar 14, 2016, 08:51 AM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
Originally Posted by llinde
Don't know if it is an official version or just one with bundled CX-10C TX
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheer...00007.6.tb0H8X
I don't know. I have seen it elsewhere too. But have they changed it so the official app takes away control from the Transmitter?
Mar 14, 2016, 08:53 AM
Doesnt the original tx work?
Mar 14, 2016, 08:55 AM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
Originally Posted by canino
Doesnt the original tx work?
It doesn't come with a Tx. You fly it via touchscreen on a phone or tablet. That doesn't work particularly well.
Mar 14, 2016, 09:48 AM
GOT WINGS
Good review. I think it sounds much like the CX-10C, a good idea very poorly executed. I never want any more Cheerson products after what they did early on with the regular CX-10s/.
Mar 14, 2016, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan Animal
It doesn't come with a Tx. You fly it via touchscreen on a phone or tablet. That doesn't work particularly well.
No i meant the tx from the original cx10
Mar 14, 2016, 09:58 AM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
Good review. I think it sounds much like the CX-10C, a good idea very poorly executed. I never want any more Cheerson products after what they did early on with the regular CX-10s/.
Novelty stuff sells when you can't make good stuff instead?
Mar 14, 2016, 10:01 AM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
Originally Posted by canino
No i meant the tx from the original cx10
My CX - 10A Tx works but the original CX - 10 went through a number of protocol changes. Most CX-10 TX's won't fly another CX-10 let alone newer models.
Mar 14, 2016, 10:15 AM
GOT WINGS
I don't think that Cheerson cares at all about quality, they sold a large quantity of CX-10s even though probably more than half of them were crap. Quantity = profit, damn the quality, full speed ahead.
Mar 14, 2016, 10:46 AM
Drone Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I don't think that Cheerson cares at all about quality, they sold a large quantity of CX-10s even though probably more than half of them were crap. Quantity = profit, damn the quality, full speed ahead.
You buy now!!

@ LA

Good review.

I have one possibly really Stoopid question. But will the phone app (obviously minus video) fly the CX-10A?.
Mar 14, 2016, 10:59 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Cheerson is slipping up lately. CX-35 was also not living up to it's promise, at least mine, due to crappy altitude hold, and resulting bouncy landings...
Mar 14, 2016, 11:20 AM
Leo
amazing how they sqeeze cam and vtx in it.
Mar 14, 2016, 11:35 AM
Drone Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydrone
amazing how they sqeeze cam and vtx in it.
+1

I still look at my original pre A CX-10 and marvel at that. The funny thing is tho, despite being flown at least once a week for over a year...it's still going, and hasn't even burned a motor.

Quick Reply