Apr 30, 2016, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarsh04
...I decided to start completely from scratch and try again to get the GUI working. I have read all the posts here and even used google and my limited VBA knowledge to try and figure out what the issue is and am still at a loss. I have posted two screenshots of the errors in excel and VBA. If anyone has had the same issue or can offer some assistance, I would greatly appreciate it as I am going to have to re-input all of the parameters.
Hi TMarsh04,

This link http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ough-excel-vba indicates the error may possibly be coming from a path that has spaces contained within it.

I confirmed this myself. I added a space to my path and got the same error. It sounds like a runtime limitation to me.

Perhaps you could try locating the target files and the Excel workbook in a folder path that contains no spaces. The screen cap you posted does show your path having spaces in it. Worth a try I think.

The link does provide a recommend workaround in VBA if you want to be able to handle spaces in the shell command. You basically enclose it in Chr(34) double quotes.

G
Last edited by MGeo; Apr 30, 2016 at 04:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2016, 05:31 AM
Adding double quotes (Chr(34) in VBA) around avrdude path string (sString) and hex file path string (PathCrnt) fixes this issue.

Code:
 ShellRun = Chr(34) & sString & Chr(34) & " -P usb -c " & sProgrammer & " -p m644p -e -V -U flash:w:" & Chr(34) & PathCrnt & Chr(34) & ":i"
May 01, 2016, 08:30 AM
Submitted for consideration, here is a modified version that adds COM port selection for non-usbasp programmers and works with paths which include spaces.

Diff shows the changes to VBA code.

I've left the Data_lists worksheet visible so you can see where I added the COM port list. No checking for valid port numbers, that would be a nice enhancement but it works for now.

George
Last edited by MGeo; May 01, 2016 at 08:36 AM.
May 01, 2016, 09:01 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E28
Happy,

I'm trying to set up a twin motor pusher parkJet. I have been using openaero2 with acceptable success, working on hover in profile3. I need to build a better flying plane with better TV pivot. I'm using diff thrust for yaw (works great) and elevons for pitch and roll and that part needs work.

My question is this: would openaero Vertol be better for this.
Hi - you're in the wrong thread but yes, it would.
May 01, 2016, 09:03 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarsh04
No servos connected to the kk2. Everything is disconnected from the kk2 when I hook it up to my computer. I'm updating Microsoft Office to try a newer version of Excel. I can't think of anything else it might be. I reinstalled the KKflashing tool and it works perfect again. I was able to load OAV v1.4 with no problems. I have also double-checked the wires of my dongle and all seems to be in order. Got my fingers crossed it's an issue with my existing version Excel.
What OS are you using? What version of Excel/Office?
May 01, 2016, 09:10 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGeo
Submitted for consideration, here is a modified version that adds COM port selection for non-usbasp programmers and works with paths which include spaces.

Diff shows the changes to VBA code.

I've left the Data_lists worksheet visible so you can see where I added the COM port list. No checking for valid port numbers, that would be a nice enhancement but it works for now.

George
Hi George,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for the submission.

I have a real AVRISP2 and it most definitely is a USB device. It seems crazy that a serial device be used to mimic an AVRISP2 but if that's what is out there then why not.
I decided to only include a small number of possible programmers at the start as that's all I could test with. Eventually it could be expanded as you have done. Thanks.

I have to do an update soon to match V1.5 (Graupner HoTT serial support) so I will pair the new GUI to V1.5.

Unfortunately I don't have a functioning PC as mine died last week. I should have the new one ready to build later this week which means I might get onto it after that.

David
May 02, 2016, 04:07 AM
Hi David,

No worries, sorry to hear about the dead PC. I've never used a real AVRISP2 did not realize the work with the usb argument to avrdude. Seems more convenient than having to know and pick the correct COM port number.

I am using Excel 2016 on Win10. I can help out with testing.

Best Regards,
George
May 09, 2016, 01:32 PM

Been away from the forum for a bit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays
What OS are you using? What version of Excel/Office?
Thanks for the input you HS and MGeo! I did take a look for spaces a while back but now I think I might take another peek when I get home today. I was first trying to run the GUI on windows 8.1 but have since made the up/downgrade to windows 10 (still not sure if I like it more, less or the same). And I am using Excel 2016. I have been pretty busy with work, my newborn and other projects and have had little time to tinker with my VTOL project. Tonight, however, I was planning on taking Ran's advice and doing some more fine tuning of the wing. And with this new input I have received here on the GUI forum, I think I will take another stab at it. It would sure save me some time and hassle to have it functioning.

Thanks again! I will let you guys know how it goes.
May 29, 2016, 07:11 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Hi guys, I've made some updates, corrections and incorporated some suggestions from very helpful users. V0.21 is designed to work with the still-in-Beta unofficial new OpenAeroVTOL release.
I've put copies of all files in the first post in this thread. I'm hoping that I've not broken anything too badly!

Update - GUI V0.21 and OpenAeroVTOL V1.5 Beta 4

Changes (OAV)
- Graupner HoTT SUMD serial receiver support
- Spektrum DSMX binding bug fixed

Changes (GUI)
- Support for HoTT SUMD receiver mode
- Selectable programmer ports thanks to George
- Many more safety checks and pop-ups
- Corrections from various people - thanks!

Important notes:
- GUI V0.21 *only* works with OAV version V1.5B4 and will complain if used with older versions.
Jun 08, 2016, 08:47 AM

GUI wont connect to KK2

Hello all,

I have been a huge fan of the OpenAeroVTOL for quite some time now and have used it for many foamies, so I was very excited about the GUI for quick parameter changing.

I have tried using the GUI many times on multiple different computers and run into the same problem each time. After following all steps for usage.

I powered the KK2 with a Scorpion Backup Guard, 5V 500mAh 2S LiPo, 10 Amp Peak, connected using a USBasp_H6, but also an older Turnigy USBasp, both of which work when using the normal kkflashtool to flash firmware. I assume the correct port selection is "usb", but when that didn't work, I tried all options for port location, to no avail. I set the path to AVRdude.

When I click the button for "Load from KK2", the program shows an error message:

"Oh oh... Something went wrong.
Check the connections between PC and KK2.
Ensure that the KK2 is powered.
Make sure you've selected the correct programmer type
and try again."

Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Thanks in advance
Jun 08, 2016, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFishVT
I have tried using the GUI many times on multiple different computers and run into the same problem each time. After following all steps for usage.

I powered the KK2 with a Scorpion Backup Guard, 5V 500mAh 2S LiPo, 10 Amp Peak, connected using a USBasp_H6, but also an older Turnigy USBasp, both of which work when using the normal kkflashtool to flash firmware. I assume the correct port selection is "usb", but when that didn't work, I tried all options for port location, to no avail. I set the path to AVRdude.
I will cover some simple things that are probably not your problem....

If your USBasp is working for normal flashing then you should be 90% of the way there.

I do not use any separate power supply when I flash boards or use the GUI. I use the power that comes to the board from via USBasp adapter from my computer.

Make sure nothing else is connected to the KK2 except you can have things connected to OUT2-8.

I often need to unplug and replug the USBasp card at the computer end the first time to get it working properly. This applies to both the GUI and normal flashing.

Make sure you have only one copy of the driver in your computer.

Within the GUI, navigate to the driver, do not type the path. It is very difficult to type the path and get every character exactly correct.

Beyond that, HappySundays will have to help.
Jun 08, 2016, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Those were great suggestions, but unfortunately I have already tried all of those.

I hope that it is some simple fix that I have overlooked.
Jun 08, 2016, 05:58 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
My suggestion is to manually try to use the command line to write to your KK2 via AVRDude.
You'll notice that the debug window shows the actual commands sent to AVRdude. Open up a command prompt in Windows by typing "CMD" in the search or run box. A black command prompt window will open up.
I notice that in the latest version of the GUI it doesn't write to the debug window unless successful, which isn't helpful. I'll fix that later.

Anyway, change directory to your AVRdude folder. Once there type the following:

AVRdude.exe -D -P usb -c usbasp -p m644p -V -U eeprom:r: "C:\data_in.txt":d

...and tell us what AVRdude is complaining about.

Additionally, I'd try to ensure that the path to AVRDude AND the GUI have no spaces in them.
Jun 08, 2016, 07:39 PM
Registered Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFishVT
Thanks for the quick reply!

Those were great suggestions, but unfortunately I have already tried all of those.

I hope that it is some simple fix that I have overlooked.
SFish,

I had this same problem until I downloaded the newest version of AVRDude from: http://download.savannah.gnu.org/rel....3-mingw32.zip

Incidentally, the actual error I was getting was 'Unable to load configuration file' which wasn't supplied with the AVRDude.exe I had.

HACK
Jun 13, 2016, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays
My suggestion is to manually try to use the command line to write to your KK2 via AVRDude.
You'll notice that the debug window shows the actual commands sent to AVRdude. Open up a command prompt in Windows by typing "CMD" in the search or run box. A black command prompt window will open up.
I notice that in the latest version of the GUI it doesn't write to the debug window unless successful, which isn't helpful. I'll fix that later.

Anyway, change directory to your AVRdude folder. Once there type the following:

AVRdude.exe -D -P usb -c usbasp -p m644p -V -U eeprom:r: "C:\data_in.txt":d

...and tell us what AVRdude is complaining about.

Additionally, I'd try to ensure that the path to AVRDude AND the GUI have no spaces in them.

Thanks for the reply,

I used the comman line as instructed and the results are as follows:

"
avrdude.exe: can't open config file "": Invalid argument
avrdude.exe: error reading system wide configuration file ""
"

Quick Reply