Update - GUI V0.21 and OpenAeroVTOL V1.5

Changes (OAV)
- Graupner HoTT SUMD serial receiver support
- Spektrum DSMX binding bug fixed

Changes (GUI)
- Support for HoTT SUMD receiver mode
- Selectable programmer ports thanks to George
- Many more safety checks and pop-ups
- Corrections from various people - thanks!

Important notes:
- GUI V0.21 *only* works with OAV version V1.5B4 and will complain if used with older versions.

Update - GUI V0.20 and OpenAeroVTOL V1.4 release

Changes (OAV)
- Updating OAV on your KK2 from V1.3 will now correctly update your existing settings (V1.4 Beta 6 trashed the V1.3 settings)
- Updating from V1.4 Beta 6 will also work correctly and add the new Buzzer control feature

Changes (GUI)
- Settings structure support for OAV V1.4 Release
- Version checking to prevent potential cross-version issues
- Corrections from various people - thanks!
- Printing improved

Important notes:
The structure of V1.3, V1.4B6 and V1.4 Release (beta 8) are all different. The GUI can only cope with one - the latest one.
Fortunately, OAV V1.4 Release knows how to update the settings from any previous version.
So to maintain your settings stored in older versions, simply flash the KK2 with V1.4 Release, then use the new V0.20 GUI and all will be well
If you simply attempt to use the new V0.20 GUI with older versions of OAV, it will complain.

Description
After some great suggestions, much work and testing I have managed to put together a usable PC-based GUI (Graphical User Interface) for OpenAeroVTOL users.
With this GUI you are able to load settings from the KK2 to your PC, modify them and save them back to the KK2. No more pressing tiny buttons!
Also, you can save your settings to a file so that you can store them off the KK2 and also share them online with others (no more typing in bucket loads of data).
Finally, I have given the GUI the ability to flash new firmware onto the KK2, similar to the KKFlashTool

Features
- Load all your settings from the KK2
- Modify your settings on your PC
- Save the settings back to the KK2
- Save settings to a file
- Load settings from a file (yours, or from another OAV user)
- Flash new firmware to the KK2

Limitations
- Only suitable for PC versions of Excel
- Must use V1.4 Release version of OpenAeroVTOL
- Only supports USBasp, AVRisp and AVRisp II programmers

Prerequisites
- You must be very familiar with flashing new firmware to the KK2 with one of the programmers listed above. If you cannot do this, stop now. This is not for you.
- A PC running Microsoft Excel. Not sure how old a version will work. I'd assume 2012 and above should be OK.

How-To
The GUI is fairly self-explanatory. Don't forget to reflash your KK2 with OpenAeroVTOL V1.4 Release before proceeding. You can use the GUI for that too, or your favourite programming tool.

1. Open the spreadsheet. If asked to enable content or macros, click "Yes" or "OK" as appropriate.
2. On the settings tab, select the programmer you intend to use from the drop-down.
3. Click on the button labelled "Set path to AVRDude". Navigate to your local copy of the AVRdude.exe file. You should have a copy, but I will include one below.
4. Connect your programmer between KK2 and PC.
5. Ensure KK2 is powered.
6. Click the button labelled "Load from KK2" to load settings to the GUI.
7. Click the button labelled "Save to KK2" to save modified settings to the KK2.

Acknowledgements
Huge thanks to Nicholas for making the new GUI possible. It would have taken twice as long to complete and probably be twice as ugly without him, if it was completed at all.
As always, many thanks to Ran D St. Clair for all his considerable help in the latest tweaks to the code and of course, all the documentation.

Questions? Post them here.
Last edited by HappySundays; Feb 01, 2017 at 03:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2016, 10:04 PM
I have exercised all of the above functionality and actually flown just one model so far. It was a simple X quad and seemed to work perfectly in all respects. From a flight functionality perspective the altitude hold functionality has been enhanced. Other than that, it is basically the same.
Mar 14, 2016, 11:33 AM
David,
thanks so much for releasing this. I'm going to use it immediately. Both jbfoamies and I have some new designs that differ from conventional solutions and having the ability to see all parameters at one time makes it easier (as in tolerable,acceptable) to set up
and evaluate.
Mar 14, 2016, 01:51 PM
Xigris-Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poporbit
David,
thanks so much for releasing this. I'm going to use it immediately. Both jbfoamies and I have some new designs that differ from conventional solutions and having the ability to see all parameters at one time makes it easier (as in tolerable,acceptable) to set up
and evaluate.
I spent 4 hours programming on the kk mini yesterday and my fingers were sore! This will help tremendously, Thanks Happy!
Mar 14, 2016, 03:39 PM
I'm running a 2003 version of excel. A few steps are necessary to run this older version. first I had to download a converter file from microsoft to import an active version of the excel file to my version.
Before opening the file with the converter loaded I had to reduce the security level for macros in excel. To do this, open excel to a blank page. go to the "Tools" menu, scan down and open "Options". in that menu open "Security" tab. Select "Macro Security" at the bottom of the window. Select "Medium" security. this will give you the ability to run macro's in the spread sheet after a user prompt comes up giving you the option to do so.

Now you can open the file with macros running.
Mar 14, 2016, 05:02 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfoamies
I spent 4 hours programming on the kk mini yesterday and my fingers were sore! This will help tremendously, Thanks Happy!
Thanks! That reminds me, I should compile a KK Mini version of the latest firmware. I usually make a slightly modified one for the KK Mini as there are issues with the way the LCD is updated. If you see the screen lock up of glitch, let me know.
Mar 14, 2016, 05:03 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Quote:
I'm running a 2003 version of excel. A few steps are necessary to run this older version. first I had to download a converter file from microsoft to import an active version of the excel file to my version.
Before opening the file with the converter loaded I had to reduce the security level for macros in excel. To do this, open excel to a blank page. go to the "Tools" menu, scan down and open "Options". in that menu open "Security" tab. Select "Macro Security" at the bottom of the window. Select "Medium" security. this will give you the ability to run macro's in the spread sheet after a user prompt comes up giving you the option to do so.

Now you can open the file with macros running.
That's great feedback Poporbit. Nice to know even older versions work ok.
Mar 14, 2016, 08:13 PM
.deleted
Last edited by Poporbit; Mar 14, 2016 at 08:32 PM.
Mar 15, 2016, 10:46 AM
HS,
Your awesomeness is beyond comprehension! Can't wait to try this.

BTW, We've been using OAVTOL 1.3 with much success on the Mars Electric Flyer VTOL project.

Thanks,
Dave North
Mar 15, 2016, 09:05 PM
David,
when I import the file and convert it, I am receiving error messages that the spread sheet uses a larger page size than my version supports. (max size is IV, or 256 columns wide x 256 rows deep.
Is your work sheet wider than that or is this just a result of the conversion program?
Mar 15, 2016, 10:41 PM
Quote:
David,
when I import the file and convert it, I am receiving error messages that the spread sheet uses a larger page size than my version supports. (max size is IV, or 256 columns wide x 256 rows deep.
Is your work sheet wider than that or is this just a result of the conversion program?
256 column wide I can believe, but not 265 rows deep. I think Excel could handle something like 64,000 rows even 20 years ago.

Anyway, I am sure the actual spreadsheet isn't large enough to cause a problem.
Mar 16, 2016, 07:47 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Quote:
David,
Hi Poporbit,

Part of the datasheet is almost 700 columns wide, so yes - more than 256.

David
Mar 16, 2016, 11:58 PM
Nicholas Jacobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
256 column wide I can believe, but not 265 rows deep. I think Excel could handle something like 64,000 rows even 20 years ago.

Anyway, I am sure the actual spreadsheet isn't large enough to cause a problem.
I think the issue is there is no print area setup in the worksheets and the collapsed data section rows 1 through 10 in the Settings is very wide. So excel thinks you need a big piece of paper !

Cheers
Nicholas
Mar 17, 2016, 12:52 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Quote:
David,
Poporbit,

Are you perhaps talking about *printing* the pages when you get this issue?
If so, the only page that's set up for printing is the special "Printable" tab/sheet. The GUI sheet is not made to be printed directly not does it need be.
Have you tried just clicking on the right–most tab for the simplified print view and printing just that sheet?
Mar 17, 2016, 10:18 AM
Happy,
It is not a print issue. The older excel spreadsheets can only handle 256 column's. Since you use 700 columns, I can't run it. Ran's comment on row depth is correct 64,000 rows are supported so, if you can transform the column's that extend beyond the 256 column limitation and set them up vertically the problem would be addressed.

I did get the macros to run on JBfoamies version of excel which is a 2010 version but we could not get it to read from the kk2 board. The system needs a version of libusb0.dll added to the windows/system32 folder. We downloaded one version (1.17 I believe) and rebooted after installing in the correct folder but the OS would not recognize it. Not sure what is causing this issue.