Mar 13, 2016, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Possibly bad esc? Help me diagnose this issue

Ok, well Lately i've been having this issue where mid flight the front left motor will stop spinning causing me to crash. Initially i thought it was a bad connection so i tore down the whole quad and rebuilt.

The issue still remains. Motor and ESC feels warmer than the others. All connections have been resoldered so it's definately not a solder issue. Possibly the ESC is bad?

After the crash the motor will just sit there and twitch if given throttle. After things cool down it will work again until the next time it decides to crash.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2016, 07:39 PM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
Could be a few things. You said both the motor and esc are hot. Does it sound like the bearings are bad? If they're causing the motor to drag it will overload the esc. The esc could also just be bad. Either way my solution would be to check bearings, replace if need be, replace esc either way cus it's probably already burned.
Mar 13, 2016, 07:41 PM
Also i guess we're having a string of badluck together, today i flew all my batteries no problem. I went back out to do some videos of what i was doing for another thread and it dropped out of the sky, checked everything took off again, and it fell out of the sky again within 100 feet, except this time the bell popped off and my shaft went bye bye. I had a pretty good day of flying so i'm just gonna fix it another time. I've been wanting to replace that motor for a while anyway since it had some issues but i still don't know for sure what caused the failures.
Mar 13, 2016, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Oh. Definately bad luck. I maidened my 180 today and i had a loss of control. Went down on concrete and bent a bell housing.

I dont know what the deal is. I was only a couple hundred yards out. It was very windy though. I think the I settings are too low as the wind was actually changing its pitch in acro.
Mar 13, 2016, 09:13 PM
Ouch that's pretty bad. I went through the motions of fixing mine and put on the wrong direction threaded motor, i like to use the directional threads for ease of use, but luckily i also have locknuts. Can't replicate the problem so my guess is the bell housing on mine was loose and caused contact with the magnets which were visibly scraped, this motor always had a major bell vibration issue that i couldn't fix by replacing the shaft, guess it just finally croaked. What sucks more is it broke every single one of my pdb plastic standoffs. Guess i'm lucky i have spares of those too but now i need more. Seems like i have bad luck every time i want to take videos of my flights, maybe i'll just start using the dvr in my headset.
Mar 13, 2016, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
Yup. Im pretty bummed. I cant fly either. The 180 was so easy to fly too! Im worried about the loss of control issue..
Mar 13, 2016, 11:06 PM
Yea that's my least favorite thing to have happen. Something happens that breaks your stuff, but you're not sure what it is, so it might happen again. Is your setup capable of doing a range test or can you use a massive field to try it in? I've never done one but it could reveal a problem in it's ability to receive a signal.

Here's the video of my failure, you can see that the front left motor is the one that failed by the way it falls, which is good because that's the one i suspected from the start.

Motor Failure (0 min 11 sec)
Mar 13, 2016, 11:53 PM
Thread OP
Lol.. Same here. Front left! I replaced the motor with another one i had laying around and so far it's acting as it should.
Mar 14, 2016, 12:09 PM
Sweet you should post some video, does it feel more agile than the 250?
Mar 14, 2016, 05:20 PM
Thread OP
Oh. The 250 is the one thats screwed now. I replaced the esc with one my friend gave me and immediately smoked the motor. Everything was hooked up correctly. Guess that esc was bad too. Lol.

The 180 is definately more agile. Its fun to fly. Probably just gunna let the 250 sit a while until i can replace all the esc's. The little 1806 motors are fragile as hell though. The shafts bend very easy. Perhaps the sunnysky's i got are knock offs. I have a pair of dys 1806's on the front right now and they seem a lot more sturdy

Quick Reply