Sep 20, 2019, 07:15 PM
Beach Bum

Learning OpenTx, is it worth it just to fly a few planes..

Did my daily dose of figuring out OpenTX. Would be hopeless without youtube tutorials and the online manual.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 07:40 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBarefootBoy
Well it seems I am a bit late to answer the pressurization question.
I could give you the exact schedule in the climb for the 737 but it maxes out at 8k........

Stephen
Question for ya: On occasion while riding in a passenger jet, I've noticed an extremely rapid pressure change while still on the ground or shortly after takeoff. Enough that it pops my ears, and other passengers typically comment as well. What the heck is going on there? Is it a test of the pressurization system? Odd that it only happens on occasion.

On the topic of pressure systems - of course, fighters typically have unpressurized cockpits. Pilots relied on masks alone back in the old days & masks w/pressure suits nowadays.

My dad permanently lost hearing in his left ear due to a rapid pressure change in his P-47, during a 600+ MPH vertical dive from ~40,000 ft @ full WEP. He had a bad cold & his Eustachian tubes were plugged. His right ear equalized during the dive, but his left ear didn't equalize and the pressure differential blew his eardrum!

Also - back in the days before pressure suits, pilots of extremely high-flying fighters such as the Jug (which could cruise @ 40,000+ ft) could actually get the bends on long flights!

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Sep 20, 2019, 07:52 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve FliesLow
Did my daily dose of figuring out OpenTX. Would be hopeless without youtube tutorials and the online manual.
Yes!

B

"It is the inalienable truth that no knowledge gained, is lost"
Sep 20, 2019, 10:03 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Marshall
This guy AGAIN?

Sigh...
Sep 20, 2019, 10:07 PM
They call me Lipo...

What did I do RC today???

I continued to hang out with friends in St. George Utah, flew a bunch of really cool planes, and shot a whole bunch of video of said friends

Here, Dean Palermo talks about his custom, TSA approved FlexJet carrier, and gets 111 mph in straight and level flight !
Flex Innovations FlexJet with Dean Palermo - 111 MPH in St. George Utah, 2019 (6 min 17 sec)

St. George Utah, St. George Electric Festival 2019
Sep 20, 2019, 10:23 PM
John

That FlexJet didn't look that fast.
My FlexJet definitely won't hit over 100 mph in level flight.
E-Flite Viper is faster than the FlexJet, as is many other EDF's,
The FlexJet is very easy to take off & land (easy to fly to)
E-Flte Havoc is over-rated.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:43 PM
mutski
I've been out enjoying fall colors with my Mavic Pro.
Fall colors (5 min 1 sec)

Also trying to break the Nano Goblin Bounty distance record, which so far seems unapproachable. I've tried five times now, and my best flight was 74 cumulative miles. The record is 78. I'm going to have to make a trip to New Mexico where there are REAL thermals.

Along the way, I started having inexplicable Failsafes with my FrSky R9m transmitter. I've been checking connections all over my Nano Goblin, plugging backup batteries into the R9m, range-checking the contest plane vs. my other two NGs. Then someone on the R9M thread said he gets much better range checks with the stock R9M rubber duckie than with the Super 8 antenna. Guess which one I've been using! I switched to the stock whip, and the failsafes went away. At least for yesterday's flight, which lasted 3 hours, 13 minutes. I guess I'll have to fly a few more times to be sure, but my RSSI is obviously better. I think the Super 8 was the problem.

And speaking of RSSI, I've been using FrSky telemetry to send it back to my Taranis X9D, then using a controller channel to send it back to the OSD on my Nano Goblin, a trick Oscar Liang pointed out for the R-XSR. The problem is, with the Super 8 antenna, telemetry eventually fails and the OSD then displays the last known RSSI (fooling me completely!) I just discovered that the R9-mini rx outputs RSSI on ch 16, so I can feed that directly to the iNav OSD... no failures even if telemetry fails. But once I went to the stock whip antenna on the R9M, I had no telemetry failure either. Ahhh, it's been a week of learning!

So I imagine I've totally lost all of guys who hover, fly EDF jets and love Spektrum.... sorry. But for those of you who use FrSky, maybe some of it made sense.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I got a Spektrum wireless dongle and downloaded Realflight so I could practice acrobatic stuff without destroying my favorite plane. I have been having fun with that too!
Last edited by mutski; Sep 20, 2019 at 11:56 PM.
Sep 21, 2019, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Just in case if you have to run for it!
Sep 21, 2019, 03:47 AM
jofro
No runs today flying 4 different models BB, that's what I call one of my cats!
Another great radio active day.
2019 0920 163920 029 (3 min 1 sec)
(XCell demo)
2019 0920 154706 027 (4 min 47 sec)
(BBB ant attack in Coffs)
2019 0920 173021 031 (2 min 40 sec)
(Catapult action)
2019 0920 161545 028 (4 min 10 sec)
(Inno with Joeys)
Sep 21, 2019, 08:02 AM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
This guy AGAIN?

Sigh...
What is wrong with his plane? It looked jerky and difficult to control, it was all over the place!
Sep 21, 2019, 08:06 AM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve FliesLow
Normally I'm an idiot. Without YouTube instructional videos I'd definitely surpass super extreme mega ultra Grande idiot status. Seriously though, YouTube is invaluable for about 98% of what I do in daily life from learning OpenTx to learning how to fix an automotive problem to rooting my phone to sewing a new button on my pants. Its unreal what I've learned from watching others
Sep 21, 2019, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski
I've been out enjoying fall colors with my Mavic Pro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQQ9...ature=youtu.be

Also trying to break the Nano Goblin Bounty distance record, which so far seems unapproachable. I've tried five times now, and my best flight was 74 cumulative miles. The record is 78. I'm going to have to make a trip to New Mexico where there are REAL thermals.

Along the way, I started having inexplicable Failsafes with my FrSky R9m transmitter. I've been checking connections all over my Nano Goblin, plugging backup batteries into the R9m, range-checking the contest plane vs. my other two NGs. Then someone on the R9M thread said he gets much better range checks with the stock R9M rubber duckie than with the Super 8 antenna. Guess which one I've been using! I switched to the stock whip, and the failsafes went away. At least for yesterday's flight, which lasted 3 hours, 13 minutes. I guess I'll have to fly a few more times to be sure, but my RSSI is obviously better. I think the Super 8 was the problem.

And speaking of RSSI, I've been using FrSky telemetry to send it back to my Taranis X9D, then using a controller channel to send it back to the OSD on my Nano Goblin, a trick Oscar Liang pointed out for the R-XSR. The problem is, with the Super 8 antenna, telemetry eventually fails and the OSD then displays the last known RSSI (fooling me completely!) I just discovered that the R9-mini rx outputs RSSI on ch 16, so I can feed that directly to the iNav OSD... no failures even if telemetry fails. But once I went to the stock whip antenna on the R9M, I had no telemetry failure either. Ahhh, it's been a week of learning!

So I imagine I've totally lost all of guys who hover, fly EDF jets and love Spektrum.... sorry. But for those of you who use FrSky, maybe some of it made sense.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I got a Spektrum wireless dongle and downloaded Realflight so I could practice acrobatic stuff without destroying my favorite plane. I have been having fun with that too!
I'm watching your beautiful fall colors now on the big screen in my rig and it's absolutely amazing! We've yet to see any fall colors here.

As for the Frsky telemetry paragraph I get it completely! What's really cool about this radio and I think one of my previous posters doesn't get it. Is that all you have to do is program on a wizard on Frsky and your learning curve is zero. And then if you want these amazing capabilities that you enjoy, then you have to learn.

Keeps your brain from turning to mush and allows for very little money some of the most amazing Tech!

What's fascinating about your problem above with the antenna is that most likely the stock electronics are attenuated for a very specific antenna.

God bless you and your ability to use a simulator because I'm completely and utterly incapable of doing so!

Thanks for posting your information about fries guy it helps on a bunch of different levels. For the uninitiated it shows the absolute and amazing capability of this platform!

B

" I look forward to getting out of Iowa."
Sep 21, 2019, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Normally I'm an idiot. Without YouTube instructional videos I'd definitely surpass super extreme mega ultra Grande idiot status. Seriously though, YouTube is invaluable for about 98% of what I do in daily life from learning OpenTx to learning how to fix an automotive problem to rooting my phone to sewing a new button on my pants. Its unreal what I've learned from watching others
It appears there are basically three classes of human beings out there. Ben who can read a manual and then simply do what the manual says. Me who can read the manual and have an inkling of a notion of what it means then watch a video and do splendidly and then the other people out there that can only do by watching.

I've said this before and I'll say it again the three most important inventions to mankind are the Salk vaccine, they 3 inch drywall screw and YouTube!

There's just about nothing that can't be done with these three!

About 10 minutes into the video below it shows how to use a wizard to set up an airplane. This hasn't changed since the video was produced.

It's a snap!

B

" YouTube is a Boon to mankind!"
(2/12) FrSky TARANIS Radio - Introduction to TARANIS model setup basics (19 min 38 sec)
Last edited by rikybob; Sep 21, 2019 at 09:35 AM.
Sep 21, 2019, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
No runs today flying 4 different models BB, that's what I call one of my cats!
Another great radio active day.
https://youtu.be/rPBr0w5DL5Y (XCell demo)
https://youtu.be/Fut3XbN47mY (BBB ant attack in Coffs)
https://youtu.be/i65rFlvR5Xc (Catapult action)
https://youtu.be/Yj3FbBGAni4 (Inno with Joeys)
Not sure which is cooler, watching the Heli which I can't begin to fly or watching the Roos just sit around!!!!
Sep 21, 2019, 12:06 PM
Got a few flights in with the TimberX from my hilltop patch.

Quick Reply