Mar 21, 2016, 07:47 PM
Among my many RC planes I have 2 Avitron V1.0's plus 2 Avitron V2.0's, one each in storage, and periodically take each out to recharge and fly off 20% of the charge (LIPOs best stored at 80% charge). I bought these to teach my bird Kiki "proper" outdoor behavior. Although the oldest one is showing signs of use but can still manage it, ALL of them can fly in continuous left and right circles in my tiny living-room (~3m dia. clear airspace!) and be precisely plopped onto my open hand.

Kiki flies way too fast for them and so will only make a one-way diagonal flight with them any more as they continue tirelessly: he must use a LOT of effort to fly so slowly as them in the room. So in the apt. now I chase HIM till he holds his wings out in heated exhaustion (very healthy exercise for such a bird!) in a game that he loves, even tells me when he wants the chase-game (he speaks and understands basic English: last night he came to me as I was watching an old film and as he watched too, he announced, "Watch movie"). But outside and in the malls he has learned, from observing my Avitrons, how to circle and fly wide figure-8's .... and always return (important for his well-being, as he would have a zilch chance to survive without a protecting flock!).

In this unrelated video you can see him follow me at the end: yesterday he followed me through two levels of a large mall here (note: in this Facebook link, if you click on Photos you can find screenshots showing how he actually controls the hang-glider and Flying Carpet: https://www.facebook.com/amazing.stu...t.kiki?fref=ts )

Amazing Stunt Pilot Kiki (2 min 1 sec)

But here is the inventor Edwin (and his assistant Marc) basically demonstrating what and how I flew today, though I had to fly in an even smaller space (and only one at a time, sure):

2 Avitron V2.0 dans le salon - 2 Avitrons pursuit in my living room (1 min 11 sec)

L
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2016, 08:07 PM
Ninja
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
That plane looks cool! I don't know what you could have done to save weight....leave the battery off?!?!
But that's no fun! It's crazy how much lighter it is without the battery. I'd try a smaller battery, but the 1300mah lasts only a few minutes as it is, I'd hate for a shorter flight time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonmac
Yeah that looks very nice. I want to make a couple myself. I just need some plans to make them.
Balsa or Carbon has a few build threads here on making them. His "Simplest Simple Delta" was the first successful one I built. Most of what I know was learned from him. Now I just cut one the size I want and use a CG calculator to get my CG right and they usually fly good on the maiden and don't even need the battery moved. I've got about $25 to $35 in each of them and they fly great. Very maneuverable, decent speed, unlimited vertical, and cheap $$$. I'm hoping to maiden this one tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon

Looks a lot like Experimental Airlines delta :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDi0...Sf7qvUO8A2Gh0=

That would be a fun plane to put some more power on - like this 220 watt inrunner :
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=72129
Yes, this build was heavily influenced by Ed's design in that Youtube video. The way he bends wing tips worked much better than I thought it would and I'm very happy with the results. I just placed an order with HK today for some more 1700kv 24 grams and I was debating on ordering a hotter motor, but I don't want to get ahead of my skill level, which is still at beginner. I'll probably order that motor you linked when I order again. I also ordered some of the 1900kv Blue Wonders for if I want a bit more than the 1700kv, but it may turn out I don't care for them idk.
Mar 21, 2016, 08:08 PM
Smartest parakeet....ever.

I used to have one named Ralph. Never closed his cage door. But could only teach him whistles. could never get him to talk.
Mar 21, 2016, 08:15 PM
Ninja
Thread OP
Kiki sure is a cool bird. I liked the skateboard part lol.
Mar 21, 2016, 08:33 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
I also ordered some of the 1900kv Blue Wonders for if I want a bit more than the 1700kv, but it may turn out I don't care for them idk.
The 1900kv from HeadsUpRC ? I tried one , didn't think it had the power of the HK hexTronik 1700 kv .
Mar 21, 2016, 08:38 PM
Ninja
Thread OP

U

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
The 1900kv from HeadsUpRC ? I tried one , didn't think it had the power of the HK hexTronik 1700 kv .
Yep, that's the one. I hope my experience is better. The little 1700kv is a surprisingly strong motor. I run it with a 7x3.8sf cheap HK prop (the green one) on 3s and it does a good job. What is your favorite prop for it?
Mar 21, 2016, 08:42 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I run a 7X6 GWS on 3s and an 8X6 GWS on 2s. right at the limit.

Mar 21, 2016, 08:48 PM
Finally opened the box for the Great Planes Cherokee I bought a couple of months ago. Working on the aileron and flap installation. Taking it slow.

Bud
Mar 21, 2016, 09:09 PM
Vietnam Veteran, Army
Well Saturday, I put 2 more flights on my recently converted to electric Top Flite Contender. About 20 electric flights now, all fantastic.

That Rimfire .80 pulls it better than my nitro versions ever did!

Smooth, quiet, no mess.
Mar 21, 2016, 09:13 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerChaos
Well Saturday, I put 2 more flights on my recently converted to electric Top Flite Contender. About 20 electric flights now, all fantastic.

That Rimfire .80 pulls it better than my nitro versions ever did!

Smooth, quiet, no mess.
Grand daughter has a U Can Do with a RF 80, insane!
Mar 21, 2016, 09:48 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
The little 1700kv is a surprisingly strong motor. I run it with a 7x3.8sf cheap HK prop (the green one) on 3s and it does a good job. What is your favorite prop for it?
I usually use a 7x4 with 3S .
Mar 22, 2016, 03:08 AM
Quote:
I run it with a 7x3.8sf cheap HK prop (the green one) on 3s and it does a good job. What is your favorite prop for it?
I usually bench test all my new motors with different props and measure
rpm, amp draw and heat.

I prefer usually for my slow flyers 40-60km/t (~25" wingspan warbirds) APC 8x4SF or a clone.
Sometimes I try 7x5 or 8x6 but after flying in different weather conditions I usually go back to 8x4SF.

The 8x4SF might be a bit big but it's low pitch compensate for that.

I've got no high speed propeller planes only EDF.
Mar 22, 2016, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
Among my many RC planes I have 2 Avitron V1.0's plus 2 Avitron V2.0's, one each in storage, and periodically take each out to recharge and fly off 20% of the charge (LIPOs best stored at 80% charge). I bought these to teach my bird Kiki "proper" outdoor behavior. Although the oldest one is showing signs of use but can still manage it, ALL of them can fly in continuous left and right circles in my tiny living-room (~3m dia. clear airspace!) and be precisely plopped onto my open hand.

Kiki flies way too fast for them and so will only make a one-way diagonal flight with them any more as they continue tirelessly: he must use a LOT of effort to fly so slowly as them in the room. So in the apt. now I chase HIM till he holds his wings out in heated exhaustion (very healthy exercise for such a bird!) in a game that he loves, even tells me when he wants the chase-game (he speaks and understands basic English: last night he came to me as I was watching an old film and as he watched too, he announced, "Watch movie"). But outside and in the malls he has learned, from observing my Avitrons, how to circle and fly wide figure-8's .... and always return (important for his well-being, as he would have a zilch chance to survive without a protecting flock!).

In this unrelated video you can see him follow me at the end: yesterday he followed me through two levels of a large mall here (note: in this Facebook link, if you click on Photos you can find screenshots showing how he actually controls the hang-glider and Flying Carpet: https://www.facebook.com/amazing.stu...t.kiki?fref=ts )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coAB7SK87GE

But here is the inventor Edwin (and his assistant Marc) basically demonstrating what and how I flew today, though I had to fly in an even smaller space (and only one at a time, sure):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1YLNv3CYc

L

Awesome!!!
Mar 22, 2016, 12:19 PM
Today I decided to put my F35 vinyl stickers on the vert stabs. I didn't use the $$$ flexible vinyl, so it was a general PIA. Once the soapy water dries, I might come out OK.

The weather is finally breaking so I might fly some UMX planes in the yard. I'm just so %$#@! tired after painting a boat engine cover 3 times over. The second two times was to fix mistakes I made. First time I put too many stars on the confederate flag. Airbrushed the whole flag over but the first set of stars left ugly recesses in the paint which showed when cleared....so I had to wetsand the whole $#@! thing flat and airbrush the flag for a third time....but fortunately it ended up perfect with no recesses showing from the first set of stars. I hope i never see that engine cover again.

It has nothing to do with planes, but I had to vent somewhere....in the end I can't blame the client...it was my own damn fault.... I hate creating stuff for other people anymore. When you get it right you hear nothing....you only hear from them when something is wrong.
Mar 22, 2016, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpredatorGT
Awesome!!!
.... and useful fun for all involved

Quick Reply