This thread is privately moderated by Pat Lynch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 13, 2016, 03:06 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Discussion

Sadness precedes the new 2016 year....

I'll try not to be too emotional here but the worst event of my 70 plus years was the passing away of my dear wife Liz. After a horrible year of up-and-down health issues, her frail heart finally gave way and she died after an hour or so of discomfort and thankfully, without pain....I was shattered. We had been through much hope and worry over the last year or so but this was not the expected outcome. On the 28th of December it was all over and I faced 2016 on my own for the first time in over 40 years
I guess that, like everyone in this situation, the new year brings a massive rethink about the way ahead, priorities shift dramatically and almost every aspect of one's life is reassessed. But it's not all doom and gloom. Amid the inevitable bouts of sadness (and not a few tears) a few aspects of one's life can be modified, simplified and maybe even improved. A shared desire of Liz and myself was always to de-clutter our way of life, our penchant for collecting anything that was interesting, and the accumulation of the paraphernalia that inevitably grows along with any passions - for my dear wife it was craft and antiques, for myself, modelling, art, music and Scifi! I really don't need three electronic piano keyboards (two are in storage), hundreds of old picture frames, or several antique dinner sets.....etc!
Needless to say, the local charity shops, book fair organisers and the local rubbish dump are doing well!
While I haven't got back to modelling again yet, I have plans (mentally and literally) and goals but, yet again, wish to reduce the number of active projects. I love building models, am less keen about finishing and flying is a distraction This means that a couple of partly started projects will be abandoned, some near finished ones will be offered the first person interested, and a couple will be left for later consideration.
The only 'must do' on my list is to finish and fly the little Peter Rake prototype WEL-10 model - as soon as I clean out the workshop. That tidy-up will be subject to the same rather harsh '..if I don't see a need for it - toss it out...' philosophy.
So, the start to 2016 has not been my happiest, but after the massive mental readjustment to my new lifestyle, anything can happen - hopefully something happier like a new model build beginning

Pat
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Mar 13, 2016 at 04:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2016, 05:23 PM
Cat Man
My condolences for your loss.
Mar 13, 2016, 05:54 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2
My condolences for your loss.
Same here.
Mar 14, 2016, 07:55 AM
into the wild blue yonder
Modeling can be very good for you in this time. (therapeutic) hang in there. One day at a time. So very sorry for your loss.
Mar 14, 2016, 10:19 AM
Your blog gave somber reason for a long pause. I'm 66 (this May) and Joyce and I have been together 46 years. I believe that if I were to experience the loss of her, I, too, would have to rely on my modeling projects for therapeutic aid in order to work through the time. I am so very sorry to learn of your loss.

Soft landings,

Joe
Mar 15, 2016, 10:36 AM
Summit Model Aeronautics
I'm very sorry to hear of Liz' passing, and offer my condolences as well. I think I too would find comfort and refuge in my workshop were a similar catastrophe to strike me. Whatever the future holds for you, I hope you can draw some little strength from your fellow builders here on RCG. Looking forward to your next build...

Steve
Mar 17, 2016, 07:05 PM
Oh no, not again!
Ah Pat, so sorry to hear of your loss. I knew Liz had been struggling, but not how serious it had become. I can only imagine how lonely it is rattling around the house.

Take care of yourself,
Jeff

Quick Reply