Mar 12, 2016, 05:53 PM
Thread OP
Help!

.030 Piano push rod wire 5' min length

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a source for .030 Dia Piano wire for push rod. trying to finish up a glider for Los Banos. (about 5' cut Lenght) 40" is way to short.

I think Bob Brown or Kyle knew a source in Florida?

I have everything in the glider and can't readjust the it to use shorter wire.

Tim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2016, 06:48 PM
that's gonna hurt...
Boy - .030" sounds pretty small.

Check E Bay and Amazon. On EBay there is a piano repair shop selling 10 foot lengths for about $5 + shipping. I wonder if you could find a local music store that has it in stock.

Amazon has hypodermic tubing in 5 foot lengths.

Bruce
Mar 20, 2016, 09:19 AM

Possible Source

Here is my note on this subject:

ROD - On a big 3 to 4 meter Xplorer Model Aviation recommends replacing the old 0.05 inch stainless steel hypodermic tubing after they get bent in a crash. He suggest getting new hypodermic-tube pushrods from www.GravesRC.com Get the .050” x .030” x 60-inch tubing. For outer sleeves, if the control rods don’t slide freely, use new ones from CST-The Composites Store www.cstsales.com.

Even I did not remember this until you mentioned me in your post.

Cheers, Throwbot
Mar 23, 2016, 08:44 PM
Go to smallparts.com-- they have centerless ground hardened stainless steel wire. I buy 5 at a time. They're pricey, but worth it.
Bob B
Mar 29, 2016, 10:43 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Tim,

Go to a piano supplies store, they have "piano" wire of all sizes that came in a spool. Buy the size you needed. Cut off the length you need plus 2 more foot, now here is the fun part. clamp one end to an immovable object, and grip the other end with a visegrip or similar tool. Give it a good yank(I tie it to my car tow hitch!), if you pull it to the yield point of the metal, the wire will be as straight as it can be.

Or if you knew someone(like me) that has a spot wilder for welding bandsaw blade, I had welded the K&S piano wire together.

Brian, an EAJ

Quick Reply