Mar 12, 2016, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ND Filter for Turnigy Action Cam?

Hey guys,
So recently I have wanted to get an ND filter for the Turnigy Action Cam to further solve my jello issue. Will ND filters for Go pros fit the action cam?
Furthermore, I was looking into this aswell.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=2225

However,, the lens is out of stock, if I were to print this myself, where could I get a lens that would fit onto that? If I wanted to go down that path?

Would a lens like this work?

http://ragecams.com/shop/filter-squa...8783e64a65934d

Or is that lense going to be too cheap to provide a good jello fix?
(Please don't rant about vibration to fix jello, I have balanced all props and eliminated as much as I could at this point, the H550 frame seems to be a vibration hog according to other users aswell)

From my measurements, the turnigy action cam lens diameter is about 21mm. From some of findings online, the go pro 3 lens diameter is 23mm. I may be able to find a way for it still work, does that sound reasonable?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2016, 06:11 PM
I think the best bet for something like this is to use one of the slide-on types that accepts a common threaded filter. I don't know if ebay links are allowed on these forums, so I'll avoid posting one, but if you search "gopro ND filter adapter" you'll find what I mean. It's simply a piece of metal that slides over the lens barrel.

If your measurements are correct, then the gopro lens adapters will fit and be loose, but only just so. Then, if you have the ability, you could drill and tap a small hole into the part that goes onto the lens barrel, and hold the filter on with a set-screw (similar to this: https://www.google.ca/search?q=filte...NfYVAitd9KM%3A ). That would give a nice, solid mount and allow you to expand your filter set, too, as a polarising filter can do magic to aerial video.

The adapters can be had for only a couple bucks on ebay. It's worth purchasing one just to confirm how it fits! If it fits fine, but it doesn't work for you, then go with the more professionally designed ones and you'll at least be sure of how it will go together.
Mar 12, 2016, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromMars
I think the best bet for something like this is to use one of the slide-on types that accepts a common threaded filter. I don't know if ebay links are allowed on these forums, so I'll avoid posting one, but if you search "gopro ND filter adapter" you'll find what I mean. It's simply a piece of metal that slides over the lens barrel.

If your measurements are correct, then the gopro lens adapters will fit and be loose, but only just so. Then, if you have the ability, you could drill and tap a small hole into the part that goes onto the lens barrel, and hold the filter on with a set-screw (similar to this: https://www.google.ca/search?q=filte...NfYVAitd9KM%3A ). That would give a nice, solid mount and allow you to expand your filter set, too, as a polarising filter can do magic to aerial video.

The adapters can be had for only a couple bucks on ebay. It's worth purchasing one just to confirm how it fits! If it fits fine, but it doesn't work for you, then go with the more professionally designed ones and you'll at least be sure of how it will go together.
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll give one of those a try! But just one thing. Those 37mm ND filters. On the Go pro, you can adjust the FOV, and it says you have to or you will see the solid edges of the filter. I don't think I can do this with the action cam, Is there a way to fix this?
Mar 12, 2016, 09:04 PM
Well, I don't think the SJ4000s are as wide as a gopro, so it might not be a problem with your camera. I don't know for sure, though, and I don't have a real SJ4000 to test myself. Though I wouldn't be too upset about 3 bucks if it didn't work. I've spent a lot more than that by trying to cheap out on things before :P

You could opt for the other adapter that is intended to work with the waterproof case. They use 52mm filters, so quite a bit larger. Then, since you suggested you had the ability to 3d print, just print a piece that fits the adapter and snugs up against the lens barrel.

Quick Reply