Consolidated PB2Y Coronado - Page 4 - RC Groups
Mar 21, 2016, 02:18 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
@ Steve , i think that if you retract them right at the start of the takeoffrun you will do fine. The main problem with having the floats all the way at the tip of a relative long wing it that any drag induced by the tip float has a huge momentum on the yaw axis. RC Flyingboats usually sit higher in the water as the scale waterline whitch make it less resistand to waterloop.

Very interesting that you Grandfather served on Coronado's , im sure this makes it a special project for you. I've always had a thing for the Coronado , expecially the PB2Y-2 with its early scheme. One day i'll do a spirit of Ivan Coronado in say 100'' ws. For now im busy with another ''little'' flyingboat : Dornier Do24K1 , 1/10th scale

I'll keep following this thread

Bart
Last edited by Bart83; Mar 21, 2016 at 03:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2016, 03:22 PM
Bart,
Great photos of the Coronado. I especially like the the 4th one across, on the the top row.
Nice pic of San Diego City Hall framed between the trailing edge of the left wing and the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. The building looks exactly the same today, although the surrounding skyline has changed a bit.

Also in the last photo, The La Valencia Hotel, also known as the "Pink Lady of La Jolla" is clearly visible in front of the horizontal stabilizer.

Consolidated, Convair and Lockheed were incredible at composing their aircraft in air to air photos.
Mar 21, 2016, 06:54 PM
Ken's CAD Models
She looks great despite the challenges!

I love this pic with water curl of the bow wave.

Ken

Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Mar 22, 2016, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
I finally got a chance to fly the PB2Y from water yesterday, and it was a rousing success! The model looks fantastic on water, like it belongs there. Some of my favorite pictures are attached below. I also got some great flight video, but it will take me a couple days to edit the clips into a nice compilation.

The airplane flew beautifully once it was off the water, but the handling on the water was terrible. Slow speed taxiing is quite easy, but once the model speeds up the wing tip floats catch and dig in, causing frequent "water loops" during taxi, takeoff, and landing. Just the slightest bit of wind or wave rolls the model enough for a float to catch. Only about 1 in every 3 or 4 takeoff runs was successful, the rest were rather spectacular failures! I wasn't totally surprised by this, as the PBY Catalina is also known for this since it has a similar float design. But it was still quite frustrating, and makes taking off from water a huge leap of faith. The light wing loading and high thrust-to-weight ratio of this model allows for very quick takeoffs once everything is aligned--you just have to floor the throttle and cross your fingers!
Thanks for sharing the pictures - looking forward to watching the video soon.

Only thing I'd love to see is 3 bladed props. Hope you can find some .
Mar 22, 2016, 01:04 AM
Park Jet Guru

Flight video

Finally finished editing the flight video, see below. The video is a bit dark since it was near sunset when this was shot, but then again the evening sun provided beautiful illumination so I'm happy with how it turned out.

The pond I was flying at is quite small and surrounded by houses, so I had to keep the model in very close and fly at slow speeds. But this also allowed showing off the great small field capabilities of this model--it's truly a parkflyer!

PB2Y Coronado Parkflyer (5 min 6 sec)
Mar 22, 2016, 01:17 AM
Park Jet Guru
Bart,
Wow, that Do 24 model is looking fantastic! Amazing workmanship, especially. I'll be following that thread with interest!

A PB2Y-2 in that early color scheme would indeed be a beautiful thing, I've always liked that scheme, too. The reason I picked the paint scheme I did is because I think it's what the airplanes my grandfather flew in 1943-44 probably looked like.

Regarding the floats, I think the photo below really highlights what's going on. Even though this photo was taken in a medium speed taxi, notice how the tip float is already completely submerged and creating a large wake--and lots of drag. More buoyancy would likely help, but probably won't eliminate the problem. I'm eager to try your tip about retracting the floats early, though.
Mar 22, 2016, 02:31 AM
@ cbalgra : Those are indeed some beautifull pictures. Amazing to see the building looks so simuliar today. . .

Thanks Steve , the Dornier is becoming a life project. Much more complicated that my earlier Grumman Goose and Empire flyingboat.

Loved the video of your Coronado , judging from how it jumped off the water i believe that you could power the model with about 1/4th of what you have now! amazing .. .
One small advice , change the left props with the ones on the right. This way the water spray does not splash to the hull side.
You've captured the shape of the PB2Y very well , again great job.

Kind regards,

Bart
Mar 22, 2016, 05:56 AM
What beautiful photos taken! They do justice to the model, which is a beauty... And the video is amazing too...

about the tip floats I know it could be a non scale solution but more than increment the buoyancy you can make the float planning early with a little more wide, flatten the bow or add some fins at some AOA respect to water...
Mar 22, 2016, 11:00 AM
Some inspiration . . .

US Navy PBY2 Coronado and PBY Catalina in flight HD Stock Footage (0 min 17 sec)

Check 3:50 on the video below :

World War 2 U.S. Navy Machinist Mate (1944 Restored Color) (5 min 58 sec)

Cheers,

Bart
Last edited by Bart83; Mar 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM.
Mar 22, 2016, 02:22 PM
Park Jet Guru
Fun videos, Bart, thanks for sharing!

Yes, this model is grossly overpowered. That wasn't the intent, it just turned out that way due to other factors that drove the power setup selection. But it's kind of nice. As you can see in the hairy takeoff clip in the Bloopers section of the video, the extra power lets you get out of a bad situation quickly. That said, this still a pretty lightweight power setup so I certainly didn't penalize the weight of the model much to get this much power.

Interesting thought on the prop rotation, I may have to test that. I picked the rotation I did due to wing tip stall considerations. This setup (port side clockwise from front, starboard side counter-clockwise) allows the spiral slipstream from the outboard props to reduce the angle of attack on the outboard wings, hopefully reducing any tip stall tendencies. I haven't done enough stall tests to know how well this actually works, but I do know the model so far has very gentle stall characteristics.
Mar 22, 2016, 04:25 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Yes, this model is grossly overpowered. That wasn't the intent, it just turned out that way due to other factors that drove the power setup selection. But it's kind of nice.
I recently built a Dornier Wal and it too is way over powered.
But it does come in handy when taking off from the small grassy field where I fly. I did remap my throttle control to give 50% output at 75% stick and then full bore at 100%. This gives me much better throttle control because the Wal does not like to fly fast at all.

Your Coronado looks to fly very nicely indeed. Not at all like my Wal.
Last edited by brett.c; Mar 22, 2016 at 04:31 PM.
Mar 22, 2016, 06:15 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Much respect Steve . Looks fabulous
Mar 22, 2016, 07:20 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Really nice Steve, and quite the inspiration and dedication!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Mar 22, 2016, 08:36 PM
Great model Steve looks like it flies great, can't wait for the plans to come out! A thought on the floats, years ago in a modelling magazine I saw a mans Catalina which was a little bigger and had the same problem. He tackled it by adding plastic plates to the inside of the float, it helps to lift it out of the water and because the plastic is clear you don't see it in flight. Its like the small rails to stop spray going into the prop but going the length of the float and wider.
I low-tech idea that could help and keep the floats the scale size
- Luke -
Mar 22, 2016, 10:52 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Brett.c. - Interesting tip about modifying the throttle response. Given how I rarely use more than 50% throttle on this model, that sounds like a great idea to allow finer control.

Au_Arbiter - Great idea on the float fins. I'm not too keen on messing with the scale appearance of this model, but if nothing else works I may give this a try.

Quick Reply