Consolidated PB2Y Coronado - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 12, 2016, 07:06 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thanks for all the kudos, guys! I'm eager to get some video of the finished model flying off water, just need the weather and my schedule to cooperate.

@Model Aero - It took me 4 years to build this model. It's not that the model is that complex, I've just had so little RC hobby time in the past few years. I'd estimate I spent maybe 50 hours designing it and 60 to 80 hours building it. That's about double what I spent on each of my park jets.

@cbalgra - Great video and great story! That's so cool to see the Consolidated ramp then and now.

@elewon - It actually hasn't snowed in Seattle for over 2 years! We usually get one or two days of snow each year, but it's been unusually warm lately so we've only had rain.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2016, 06:57 AM
Ken's CAD Models
I'm subbed!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Mar 13, 2016, 07:40 AM
Beautiful plane!!! and as allways , your post are excellent places to learn.... btw I like a lot the seaplanes of this period , especially the Mariner..maybe I can adapt your design to a bimotor version...
Mar 13, 2016, 05:18 PM
Wow! What did you use to paint it?
Mar 13, 2016, 07:11 PM
Park Jet Guru
It's painted with standard acrylic craft paint. The base colors were applied with an airbrush and the details were brushed on.
Mar 13, 2016, 07:38 PM
@cbalgra Thanks for sharing the the history. That was a very interesting video.
Mar 13, 2016, 07:56 PM
Jer. 29:11
Steve, do you have a link (or size) for the ParkFlyerPlastics.com cowls?
Mar 13, 2016, 08:47 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
AWE-SOME!

As you said a full size(real) sits inside Pensacola Naval Air Station Museum. I was there on December 7th. 2015 for the ceremony(Pearl Harbor). I will be there on the 21st. of this month. The Blues will be flying the 70th anniversary flight on that day.
Mar 13, 2016, 10:37 PM
She's a beauty Steve!
It will certainly make it to my build bench (eventually).

Looking forward to seeing a ROW maiden flight.
Please post it up in the "pics of your float planes" thread. I was lucky that I happened to browse through a section of the forum that I don't usually frequent. In sure a post in that thread will garner even more interest that it already has.

80 hrs is entirely reasonable for a 4 engine, 7 ch seaplane. I spent almost double that on my Sikorsky build, and that was a single engine 4 ch.
Mat

Can you not consolidate some of your channels with y-cables to allow for differential thrust on the motors?
How are they set up at the moment?
Mar 14, 2016, 12:00 AM
352nd FG Association
Now THIS is going to be a cool project!!
Mar 14, 2016, 02:36 PM
Park Jet Guru
rajazo - Yes, it shouldn't be hard at all to adapt this design into a PBM Mariner. Very similar overall layout.

jeffsch - I used their generic 2.6" diameter cowl, without the extension base. I just noticed they've since added a new and same diameter cowl for the Dynam PBY model, so that could work, too.

dlazarus - Lucky you! I was actually lucky enough to travel to Pensacola with my Grandpa back in the mid-90s to see the Coronado there. It was the first time he'd seen one since he last flew it in 1945. Needless to say that was a thrilling experience! He was grinning ear to ear.

Wormboy - Thanks! I'm not aware of that seaplane thread, will have to go look for it. And yes, I'll post a photo there once I do. Yes, I thought about using a Y-cable on the ailerons and floats to allow differential throttle, but having the ability to adjust the throw and centering of those controls separately at my transmitter seemed much more useful to me. Besides, with twin rudders sitting directly in the prop blasts I'm not expecting to have any problems with turning on the water--even without a water rudder. But only water testing will tell. If it is a problem, I'll simply go buy a 9-channel receiver and swap it in, easy fix.
Mar 14, 2016, 04:18 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Steve , Congrats on an amazing result. Always had a thing for the Coronado.

Cheers,

Bart
Mar 14, 2016, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Wormboy - Thanks! I'm not aware of that seaplane thread, will have to go look for it. And yes, I'll post a photo there once I do. Yes, I thought about using a Y-cable on the ailerons and floats to allow differential throttle, but having the ability to adjust the throw and centering of those controls separately at my transmitter seemed much more useful to me. Besides, with twin rudders sitting directly in the prop blasts I'm not expecting to have any problems with turning on the water--even without a water rudder. But only water testing will tell. If it is a problem, I'll simply go buy a 9-channel receiver and swap it in, easy fix.
Post Pics of you Float Planes
Here is the thread, I got the title a little wrong

Ah, you've got the channels, just need the Rx upgrade. Sounds like you have it sorted. I'm subb'd, looking forward to seeing on the aqua.
Mar 14, 2016, 10:21 PM
Park Jet Guru
Oh yes, I should've mentioned that I already have a 9 channel transmitter so I would just need an Rx upgrade. A 9 channel rx in a foamie parkflyer also seems like overkill, though...
Mar 14, 2016, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
A 9 channel rx in a foamie parkflyer also seems like overkill, though...
Nonsense, 9 ch seems like it might almost be enough.
You still have to add flaps, lights and a torpedo drop yet!

Quick Reply