Jun 02, 2018, 12:16 PM
Jer. 29:11
Fantastic! Congratulations on a job well done.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2018, 12:41 PM
Great stuff, well done! It’s encouraging to see that she steers well on the water without water rudders. Did you stick with the 3s 2200 battery you mentioned before?
Jun 02, 2018, 02:07 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
That's awesome!
Jun 02, 2018, 07:36 PM
Look out for the mothership
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
Great stuff, well done! Itís encouraging to see that she steers well on the water without water rudders. Did you stick with the 3s 2200 battery you mentioned before?
Thanks everyone - still getting over the excitement!

No Mark 2, I ended up using an even larger and heavier Zippy Compact 3S 4500 mAh battery giving a huge AUW of 1835 grams. This is an overkill as it doesn't need as much up front to balance - had to push back through the bulkhead. One advantage is that the battery was not going to move. Flew twice on the first battery for perhaps 4 minutes each for 54% remaining charge. I have a similar 3700 mAh battery that is about 100 grams lighter and appears to balance right with the battery fully within the compartment - I just had not established a way of holding it in place - no doubt Velcro would do.

Anyway, I have pushed the upper limits of weight and she's obese but still OK. I have no intention of doing aerobatics with her! Most of the flying was at less than half throttle - she just wanted to climb under power into the wind as well.

Handling on the water was good. I have it rigged up for differential thrust to assist the air rudders for turning on the water and it works a treat. I switch this off before the take off run. Props are counter-rotating as well. Aside from the wind gusts, flies nicely straight and level once trimmed - nice and solid with no nasty qwerks thus far (4 flights total). Needed some down trim and a little aileron trim .

As for my Catalina, landings will take some practice to get nice. I have not glued the float struts in place. They are a snug fit. This means that they can (and later did) come out on a hard landing, but no damage to the wing.
Jun 03, 2018, 01:45 AM
Park Jet Guru
FANTASTIC!!! Your model looks beautiful on the water and in the air! It was sure thrilling to see another PB2Y model flying, this made my day.

Yes, 1835 g is quite a bit heavier than mine (1,160 g), but I'm glad to see it still flies well at that weight. I'll be interested to hear if you can tell the difference with a lighter battery.

Looks like your wingtip floats were digging into the water a bit just like mine (especially when the wind caught one wing). Sure seems like this model needs bigger tip floats, but then again that would kill the scale looks of this model.

Thanks for sharing the video!

Steve
Jun 03, 2018, 07:44 AM
Slow builder
Very nice.

Al
Jun 04, 2018, 12:28 AM

PB2Y post-maiden flying

Thanks Al and Steve - glad to have made your day - it certainly made mine as well!
I will try out some different battery set ups in future and let you know if it makes any difference.

Here is a compilation of post-maiden flying footage thanks to my flying mates (usually it is me videoing their planes) , including my best landing yet - albeit - still a bouncer. Plus some pre-maiden stills.
I have dubbed in some sound I recorded from the Coulson Martin Mars to add some more realism.

Consolidated PB2Y Coronado RC post-maiden flying (3 min 28 sec)
Jun 04, 2018, 12:54 AM
Park Jet Guru
Nice video, and GORGEOUS photos! Really nice looking model! Thanks for sharing.

Seems to me like your model flies more stately at that higher weight, compared to mine. My model is so light that it handles great but is very susceptible gusts and reacts very quickly to control inputs. Maybe a little extra weight is a good thing to make a transport category model fly more scale-like!
Jun 04, 2018, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Seems to me like your model flies more stately at that higher weight, compared to mine. My model is so light that it handles great but is very susceptible gusts and reacts very quickly to control inputs. Maybe a little extra weight is a good thing to make a transport category model fly more scale-like!
I think that you're right Steve - 'stately' describes it well. At least the others making this model can save some stress if their model also puts on some weight during construction. Great design Steve, of a rarely modelled plane. I can certainly recommend it for anyone with a bit of building experience - this is my third Depron model after your Polaris, then a Mermaid. It is also my first multi-engine build. Love it and look forward to posts from other builders.
Jun 04, 2018, 01:26 PM
Wow, awesome model, flight and pics. This model is one of the best I saw in a long time (no surprise because the designer)and the build result from Mrwatz is impressive.

Need more time to get one of this.

Thanks for sharing the videos.
Jul 07, 2018, 05:18 AM
Some more video of my Coronado - this time flying 120 grams lighter with a Zippy Compact 3S 3700 mAh battery. It handled really well. The video says it all. . The takeoff isn't shown - it was nice and long and scale-like, but so far away and difficult to see against the background that I left it out.
Taxying and flying time: 6 minutes and 15 seconds, power remaining: 51%, so it flew again later on the same battery.

RC PB2Y Coronado GoPro head cam (3 min 10 sec)
Jul 07, 2018, 05:34 PM
skumgummi dave
Great vid. Beautiful model... Thanks for sharing.

Dave-
Jul 11, 2018, 11:31 AM
Beautiful model! Thanks for sharing.
I think retractable floats would have really added to the scale looks. Also, wondering if flaps would help slow her down for scale landing.
Jul 17, 2018, 10:46 AM
Park Jet Guru
Great video and very nice flying, MrWaz! Very smooth and scale-like, looks awesome on the water and in the air. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply