Midwest Harbor Tug x2 - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jan 03, 2017, 03:59 PM
hangin' around

About Time

Well, I haven't abandoned these little tugs, it has been quite a while since I have done anything on them though. I had a couple of major maintenance projects around the house I had to get done before winter set in, and then here came the holidays. All of that is over and done now, so I am ready to get my head wrapped around them again and make some more progress.

My first order of business will be to get stands made so they have a proper place to sit, I have some left over Redwood in mind for that, photos to follow later.

Next thing I need to decide is whether to add the breast hook piece that the plans call for and plank the front as is done with the kit, or to leave the breast hook out and shape two solid balsa blocks, one on each side of the keel forward of bulkhead #1 to form the front of the hull.
Any opinions?

I'm also not very sure of the direction of the grain for planking the hull. It looks like the grain of the 3" sheets runs vertical (from sheer to chine, and chine to keel) with the butt joints over the edge of the bulkheads as best as possible. Can anyone shed any light on this? Or thoughts otherwise?
Thanks, Don
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2017, 11:32 PM
Ape,

How aare the stands coming?

Bob
Aug 18, 2017, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Ape
Well, I haven't abandoned these little tugs, it has been quite a while since I have done anything on them though. I had a couple of major maintenance projects around the house I had to get done before winter set in, and then here came the holidays. All of that is over and done now, so I am ready to get my head wrapped around them again and make some more progress.

My first order of business will be to get stands made so they have a proper place to sit, I have some left over Redwood in mind for that, photos to follow later.

Next thing I need to decide is whether to add the breast hook piece that the plans call for and plank the front as is done with the kit, or to leave the breast hook out and shape two solid balsa blocks, one on each side of the keel forward of bulkhead #1 to form the front of the hull.
Any opinions?

I'm also not very sure of the direction of the grain for planking the hull. It looks like the grain of the 3" sheets runs vertical (from sheer to chine, and chine to keel) with the butt joints over the edge of the bulkheads as best as possible. Can anyone shed any light on this? Or thoughts otherwise?
Thanks, Don
Ape,

I didn't see any answers here except my query about the boat stands, so I'll offer my opinion and hope it is helpful, I'll have to assume you have not done any more with the models as of this date so, go with the solid balsa blocks to fashion the bow but i wouldn't sheet the remainder as in the original, too much area between bulkheads; I think it would work better if you planked the hulls using 3/32" x 1/4" x 24" planks (36" if available) basswood. Basswood will offer strength and the 3/32" will leave room for sanding the hull before fiberglassing, inside and out for max strength. You can probably make your own planks from sheet goods more economically verses buying the sticks.

There, that's my two cents worth, hope it was beneficial.

Bob
Sep 11, 2017, 12:29 PM
ulpilotrmh

Frame Plans

Please tell me where you got the plans.
Sep 11, 2017, 12:52 PM
ulpilotrmh

Plans

My bad! Post No. 60.