Midwest Harbor Tug x2 - Page 4 - RC Groups
Apr 26, 2016, 07:06 PM
hangin' around
Haven't gotten much done on the boats in the last week because of needing to attend to springtime yard stuff.
I did manage to get in one short modeling session though. I thought I would tackle filling in the areas around the stuffing tubes. After doing some reading I concluded that Milliput was probably my best choice and surprisingly the local Hobby Lobby actually had some in stock. Unfortunately there's not much to choose from in hobby shops around here.
Anyway, I had never worked with the stuff before, I cut off equal parts and began to mix it up. I had on disposable latex gloves and quickly discovered that I needed some water to keep it from sticking to the gloves. Wetting my gloved fingers made the stuff pretty slick and hard to hold onto, I finally managed to get it thoroughly mixed. I then rolled it out into a couple of slender rolls.
I started applying it and quickly realized that it was too much and was going to be a big mess. So I scraped it all off and went about it in a different way. I used a rounded tip epoxy mixing stick to apply small bits of it then smoothing with wet fingers as I went, worked much better. Good thing it stays workable for a while.
In the end it worked out fine, but I sure was puckerin' there for a bit. By the time the hulls get built and a layer of glass cloth and resin go on each side it should be plenty strong.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2016, 08:58 AM
Lookin' good.
Jun 13, 2016, 11:58 AM
hangin' around
Life has kept me busy with other things lately, but I have managed to make a small bit of progress on one of the hulls.
Everything fit together very nicely except for the sub deck/sheer piece was not wide enough at the first two frames. I was able to overcome it but will need to add material to the deck to make it wider at the front or cut new pieces, haven't decided which yet.
Jun 13, 2016, 12:24 PM
Lay on what you have and see how it looks. adding a piece in the center, reinforcing on the bottom, will not be seen after finish is applied. I'm thing of the bow area only.

Bob
Jun 20, 2016, 05:27 PM
hangin' around
A little more progress.
I added some 1/16" x 1/8" balsa strips to the front outsides of the sub-deck for the second hull. (It is what I should have done to the first one.) They will be sanded to fair them in towards the rear later.
I also assembled the keel, frames and sub-deck for the 2nd hull. Finances are going to be a little short for a while which will slow me down even more. I want to have the speed controls and batteries in hand to fit them before the hull planking goes on for ease of access. I can however fit the motors and a few other steps in the mean time.
Jun 25, 2016, 09:45 AM
hangin' around

Speed Control Question

Will a 15 amp speed control be sufficient for the motors and props I am using? Or should I use a larger capacity?
Jun 27, 2016, 10:11 AM
The MACK #1885G motor w/gearbox says it draws a very ow 600 ma for long runs so the 15 amp ESC should be adequate. Checking with Tower Hobbies (Dumas doesn't offer any information) you should use a DuraTrax IntelliSpeed Fwd/Rev AutosportSpeed Control #1059; I have used this ESC and it performs very well.

Bob
Jun 27, 2016, 07:50 PM
hangin' around
Thanks for the reply Bob.
That Duratrax unit is certainly reasonably priced.

Don
Jun 28, 2016, 08:36 PM
M.A.C.K. Products carries the Duratrax speed control in stock.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/Speed%20Controls.htm
Aug 06, 2016, 10:04 PM
Hi Don

Any more progress on these tugs? Any pictures?

Doug
Aug 07, 2016, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by needabiggerboat
Hi Don

Any more progress on these tugs? Any pictures?

Doug
Aug 07, 2016, 04:24 PM
hangin' around
Unfortunately I have been busy with other things and have not made any progress lately. The garage is so dang hot right now I don't even really want to be out there.
Aug 08, 2016, 09:24 AM
You need to bottle some of that heat to use next winter.
Oct 09, 2016, 04:24 PM
Can you tell me where you downloaded the plans for the Harbour tug?