Aug 10, 2004, 08:36 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
Thread OP

Did I bend my Zoom's Tail Shaft?

I was flying my Zoom tonight in the backyard and scuffed the T/R blades on the patio. I landed and checked the T/R output gear, it is fine, but now I have some vibration in the tail. Is this little bit of contact enough to bent the T/R shaft?

How hard it the T/R shaft to take out and check?

Thanks and lovin' my Zoom!

Brian
Last edited by Brill 1; Aug 10, 2004 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2004, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
DuH! The tail shaft is carbon, right???

Brian
Aug 10, 2004, 11:25 PM
me3
me3
hey mate,

on a std zoom zap shougun etc the boom is ally, pretty soft too. it is a quick process to take it off and roll it on a sheet of glass, bend and check again. if it was a soft touch i very much doubt it bent, maybe the tail blades are out of whack, make sure they are fairly loose to move (they will throw out as it spools up).
Aug 10, 2004, 11:46 PM
Renewed interest
I have a bent boom from picking up my heli.
the ali is soft for sure
Aug 11, 2004, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
aluminum...hmmm me source was wrong. Thanks me3!

How do you get the input gear off the shaft?

I will check it and the balance on the T/R blades

Brian
Aug 11, 2004, 12:25 AM
me3
me3
if u have caed it on use some acetone and GENTLY prise it off using open side cutters r two screwdrivers. if no ca it should just slide off with finger pressure.
Aug 11, 2004, 01:23 AM
Thread OP
OK, here is what I found out (boy I really should be sleeping)

I disassembled the tail on the Zoom, the tail rotor drive shaft is carbon and the tail output shaft is a ferrous metal.

The carbon tail drive shaft is way out of true, but with three bearings supporting it I think it is OK, other than some added friction and wear. But, the tail outout shaft is also out of true. I might have found the problem...I hope!

I am also thinking of checking the main shaft, it has been reported to be out of true from the factory.

Off to order parts!

Thanks for everyones help,

Brian

Quick Reply