Triple Tree Update - Fly FPV at Joe Nall!

FPV is everywhere and now it's at the mega event of RC - Joe Nall!

Splash

Get Your FPV On at Joe Nall!!

I talk to RC pilots at fields all over the country. Just the other day I overheard two pilots talking about whether they should go to Joe Nall this year. You may not know this but I'm pretty shy, but I had to break into their conversation. I told them that as RC pilots they owed it to themselves to attend what could be the biggest RC event they will ever see. It's not a question of "should" you go, you simply have to go.

This year Joe Nall is adding an FPV course! I know, I know, some of you are saying, "But Jim FPV is ruining our hobby! Why, oh why, must it be at Triple Tree?!!!" Well, it's not FPV that's the trouble it's folks with no RC experience buying a white quad at Costco and flying over their neighborhood that is the issue. The good news is that I'm pretty sure those guys don't have the skill set to fly the FPV course at Joe Nall. The FPV course will be in the bowl on the other side of the heli line so it will in no way interfere with the other flight lines.

Fly Through the RCG FPV Gates!

The whole RCGroups crew will be on hand at Nall this year and we will be bringing our FPV gates for use on the FPV line! I know all the editors are FPV heads and I'm sure you will see us on the course having a good time! Stop by and say hi!

Fly FPV for Fun

I was on the phone with Clintstone and Tim King Jr. and we had a good long talk about how they are ramrodding the FPV section this year. The main point to be made is that it is about having fun! While there will be a device there to track your lap times, what the guys are really looking for is for FPV pilots to get out there and have fun!

Here is the word from Triple Tree

The multirotor FPV flight line will be located beside the Helicopter flight-line. This is your chance to fly through the gates, and enjoy one of the fastest growing segments of the RC hobby.

The FPV field is open to all registered pilots with a multirotor and on-board FPV gear, this is sure to be a great addition to the event.

We will also have an area set up with a couple of gates for those who just want to try it out, without committing to the full course.

Freq Control

5.8Ghz frequency control will be handled by pilot stations, with each station being assigned a frequency. You will set your gear to the appropriate channel, and get in line for the corresponding station.

For other bands (900, 1.2, and 2.4) please see the flight line boss.

The frequencies we will use are:

This selection should allow for plenty of separation between participants, so everyone has a good video feed.

For More Info

To learn more head over to the Triple Tree site!

Mar 10, 2016, 05:43 PM
Any reason why you are not using raceband?
Mar 10, 2016, 08:26 PM
DesertEagle
But Jim FPV is ruining our hobby! Why, oh why, must it be at Triple Tree??

Uh don't think so. It's expanding it so to entice young people.
Racing quads absolutely will NOT harm this hobby at all. The whole idea of a a racing quad is to stay low to the ground and NOT fly over homes, buildings, prisons, Whitehouse and airports. It teaches people to actually learn how to fly and it's challenging to master but not as hard as a helicopter. Other than little quads indoors I think this is the safest form of flying quads.

So Jim are you going to have a go at it?

You know what would be cool is getting some airplane guys to take the micro foam planes through the course as well.
Mar 10, 2016, 09:23 PM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
I was just kidding about ruining our hobby. I was at an FPV race this weekend testing out a new 180 multirotor. I'm also in the middle of building a 28 inch wing for FPV racing. That will travel with me to Nall.

On today's live broadcast I was talking about FPV bringing a whole new demographic of RC pilots. The guys we flew with on Sunday were mostly in the 20s and 30s. They were new to the hobby but just as gung ho about it as any RC pilot I have ever known.

FPV is primarily what I have done for the last year or two.
Mar 10, 2016, 09:50 PM
DesertEagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
I was just kidding about ruining our hobby. I was at an FPV race this weekend testing out a new 180 multirotor. I'm also in the middle of building a 28 inch wing for FPV racing. That will travel with me to Nall.

On today's live broadcast I was talking about FPV bringing a whole new demographic of RC pilots. The guys we flew with on Sunday were mostly in the 20s and 30s. They were new to the hobby but just as gung ho about it as any RC pilot I have ever known.

FPV is primarily what I have done for the last year or two.
Awe thank god you were kidding.. thought you've been to too many AMA meetings
FPV racing is honestly the best thing going for this hobby. I can see it growing HUGE like RC off road did in the 90's. This is just the start. GPS camera flying will plateau and it's a race to the bottom in regards to price, but people will spend big bucks on racing. The other cool thing is the setup costs for a track. No need for renting a bobcat or trackhoe to make jumps and no drain tubing for the lanes and especially no worrying about weeds!!.
Mar 11, 2016, 11:46 AM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Can't wait to bang through some gates at Nall!!!
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Mar 11, 2016, 12:22 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno
Any reason why you are not using raceband?
Yes...not everyone has raceband, so we don't want to exclude anyone. Thus isnt a race event persay, this is a chance to have fun with your friends, and hopefully expose folks to the fun that is FPV multirotor!
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Mar 11, 2016, 01:02 PM
Channels should be changed as one of them is out side the allowed ham Freq 5645 is lower than the allowed 5650-5925 MHz
Mar 11, 2016, 01:09 PM
Castle Support
Tim is on it... He will correct the Freq... thanks Joe...

Oh Yeah!!! This is gonna be fun...
Mar 11, 2016, 01:11 PM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
Done!
Mar 11, 2016, 01:13 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, Joe..It has been corrected here, thanks to Jim T., and I have also let the Triple Tree webmaster know. Thats what I get for concentrating on HF contests instead of VHF/UHF/etc. when I play radio..
Mar 11, 2016, 01:19 PM
Castle Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
Thanks for pointing that out, Joe..It has been corrected here, thanks to Jim T., and I have also let the Triple Tree webmaster know. Thats what I get for concentrating on HF contests instead of VHF/UHF/etc. when I play radio..
Thanks Tim... I appreciate your efforts!!!
Mar 11, 2016, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone
Thanks Tim... I appreciate your efforts!!!
Couldn't do it without you!
Mar 11, 2016, 04:40 PM
Team WarpSquad
Great to hear that Joe Nall is opening up to FPV fliers! I remember hearing stories of FPV pilots being banned and ostracized in the past. That's not what this hobby is about.

I'm overseas right now. But hopefully I can make it next year, to have fun and enjoy the whole spektrum of RC flying.
Mar 14, 2016, 09:07 AM
Retired USAF EOD

FPV for students

I agree FPV racing is getting more young people into the hobby. I give flying lessons for our high school R/C Club and I usually get about 5-6 students per semester learning to fly planes. I announced the possibility of starting an FPV race club next Fall and over 50 students responded with interest to join. I'm working on a funding grant to build 3 racers complete with FPV gear in our class. We'll use them as trainers to get the club started. Exciting times!

Quick Reply