Discussion

My first Catapult Glider!

-- Warren
AMA 19909
LSF 8170 Lvl IV
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2016, 07:58 AM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
I looks great! Was this built from plans? If so could you post a link to the plans?

Ross
Mar 10, 2016, 12:12 PM
Thermal Junkie
Thread OP
I wasn't able to enlarge the plan sheet so I just converted the measurements and eyeballed it.

It's on page 49 - The Time Machine.

https://indoornewsandviews.files.wor...or-designs.pdf

-- Warren
AMA 19909
LSF 8170 Lvl IV
Mar 10, 2016, 12:16 PM
B for Bruce
That looks just fine Warren. As long as your eyeball conversion was good enough to keep things more or less in scale close enough is good enough.

The REAL magic comes during the wood selection and trimming.

Is this your first foray into indoor flying? What group did you hook up with and where are you/then flying?
Mar 10, 2016, 12:41 PM
Thermal Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
That looks just fine Warren. As long as your eyeball conversion was good enough to keep things more or less in scale close enough is good enough.

The REAL magic comes during the wood selection and trimming.

Is this your first foray into indoor flying? What group did you hook up with and where are you/then flying?
I think I choose some pretty good wood and spent a lot of time working on the wing thickness and airfoil. We'll see...

I need to figure out what to use as catapult rubber?

I started in January with the Orbiteers in San Diego - So far have built a Phantom Flash (third place in January), Prairie Bird (First Pace last Sunday), a No-Cal Turbo Centurion (still trimming), and finished an A6 and the glider in the last few days.

I'm having a blast!

-- Warren
Mar 10, 2016, 03:05 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
I need to figure out what to use as catapult rubber?
It'll vary on ceiling height and model size/weight. I'd suggest you peek over the shoulder of the other guys flying this category and see what they are using for loop size and rubber size for the particular hall.
Mar 10, 2016, 04:24 PM
I suggest you purchase a kit(s) from Stan Buddenbohm. His competition kits are are a lesson in wood selection and execution (follow the directions!) Stan and his pal, Ralph Ray are world renown glider guys and you may have already met them since they are neighbors of yours (Boulevard, CA). Buying Stan's kits is an easy introduction to Stan and Ralph and opens the door for you to ask questions and get help.
Tell them I said so!

Norm
Mar 10, 2016, 04:45 PM
Thermal Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani
I suggest you purchase a kit(s) from Stan Buddenbohm. His competition kits are are a lesson in wood selection and execution (follow the directions!) Stan and his pal, Ralph Ray are world renown glider guys and you may have already met them since they are neighbors of yours (Boulevard, CA). Buying Stan's kits is an easy introduction to Stan and Ralph and opens the door for you to ask questions and get help.
Tell them I said so!

Norm
Yes Norm I agree and I've flown with Stan!

We had CLG's competing on Sunday and that piqued my interest so I threw this one together to get me started.

-- Warren
AMA 19909
LSF 8170 Lvl IV
Apr 02, 2016, 11:41 AM
I am so frustrated at this point that I am ready to quit balsa altogether. I have been in powered flight for many years and have designed and built some pretty decent flyers. However, I have built a plethora of catapult gliders over the past two months, and I can get a decent glide every once in a while. I can not build a glider that will consistently transition into a nice slow descending glide. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 02, 2016, 12:04 PM
I would like to get to this level.

P Love Category IV standard catapult glider flight in Tustin blimp hangar 1:45 (1 min 55 sec)
Apr 02, 2016, 12:45 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
WOW the sound it made firing off the catapult!
Apr 02, 2016, 05:37 PM
Thermal Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2daB
I am so frustrated at this point that I am ready to quit balsa altogether. I have been in powered flight for many years and have designed and built some pretty decent flyers. However, I have built a plethora of catapult gliders over the past two months, and I can get a decent glide every once in a while. I can not build a glider that will consistently transition into a nice slow descending glide. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel your pain..

http://wtgncaplog.org/home/filemgmt_...%20a%20CLG.pdf

http://browardsta.org/onewebmedia/Ma...%20Gliders.pdf
Apr 02, 2016, 09:17 PM
Wow! Thanks, I had the second link, but Bob's writing is very helpful. I will be working on it again tomorrow.
Apr 02, 2016, 09:36 PM
Thermal Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2daB
Wow! Thanks, I had the second link, but Bob's writing is very helpful. I will be working on it again tomorrow.
Baby steps - But most of all relax and have fun.
Apr 03, 2016, 07:36 AM
The truth has become very clear. I have a decalage problem. I pulled several of my builds and checked and they are all out (not parallel). Maybe this is the next baby step.

Quick Reply