Hanging with the Music City Multirotor Club!

I spent last Sunday flying with our local multirotor club and soon to be MultiGP league!

Splash

Just a bunch of guys with race quads and blue skies.

RCGroups editor Jason Cole has been after me to join him at one of the local FPV racing events. He flies with the Music City Multirotor Club. On Sunday morning I rolled over and noticed the sun was out and the skies were clear. I grabbed a cup of coffee and headed down stairs to start charging batteries and getting things ready.

When I pulled up to the location I was surprised to see so many pilots out and racing! They had a nice gate system going and they seemed to have their frequencies under control.

I didn't really know anyone there except for Jason and another pilot that I met at SEFF. I was pleasantly surprised at how welcoming and friendly everyone was. It became obvious very quickly that we were just a bunch of people in a field that were into quads, wings and FPV!

Another interesting thing was that many of these guys had only been flying a few months! They were brand new to the hobby. It's always nice to see new folks enter the hobby and keep it vital and alive.

Take a Ride Around the Course

Drone Racing Ride Along - Music City Multirotor Club (1 min 20 sec)

A Big Thanks!

Thanks to the club members that get out there and make the FPV racing happen each week. While Jason and I have flown the RCGroups gates at our field it occurred to me that I had never actually flown an official FPV race course. I was surprised how long I kept the little Assassin in the air and through the gates before I pronged it! GOOD TIMES!!

Mar 08, 2016, 04:40 PM
It was a great day! Glad to have you stop by!
Mar 08, 2016, 08:50 PM
FPV is not a Crime
That's great!!! I had a very similar experience, showed up to an event posted on meetup.com, met some other pilots, started getting together on a regular basis, more came, gates were made, races held. Now that group is a tier two ama recognized race group, the leaders of which were featured at the Wram show and on the Drone Vibes podcast last week! Keep it going guys, it only gets better from here.
Mar 08, 2016, 10:39 PM
Great write up Jim! It was great to meet you. I look forward to flying with you again at future club events.
Mar 10, 2016, 08:25 PM
DesertEagle
Man looks like fun. Wish we had something going up here like that.

Quick Reply