Mar 08, 2016, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Euphoria 4.0 F5J

Euphoria Ancient from Greek εὐφορία, from εὖ eu, "well", and φέρω pherō, "to bear" is medically recognized as a mental and emotional condition in which a person experiences intense feelings of well-being, elation, happiness, excitement and joy.

Hi folks, this is Aris Kosmides from Thessaloniki Greece.
I have recently built and flew two Euphoria F5J gliders.
I gathered all pertinent information and decided to share with you.
Last edited by ARI KOS GR; Mar 08, 2016 at 02:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2016, 02:33 PM
Thread OP

Flying Colors

My favorite colors are carbon black (for lightest weight-and neon orange for distant recognition)- and here is the paint scheme I chose.

I kept a build log and shot quite a few photos, so in the next few days all information will be loaded here.

The wing span is 3950 mm, length 1850 mm, wing area 86.8 d.m.
My target according to my calculations was to complete the glider with a the flight weight of about 1900 gr. This adds up to a load factor of less than 21.9 grams per d.m.
Mar 08, 2016, 03:08 PM
Yorgos Stratakis
Mar 08, 2016, 08:45 PM
Cumulus Altimus
Love to see this, such great plane to fly.
Ben
��
Mar 08, 2016, 09:16 PM
Fish are able to fly!
Euphoria flies like a dream) Good luck
Last edited by soarerf3j; Mar 08, 2016 at 09:34 PM.
Mar 09, 2016, 12:15 AM
I can already confirm that Aris did an excellent job building both his and my Euphoria!!! And it's a lot of a glider second to non!!
Mar 09, 2016, 03:44 AM
Thread OP

Euphoria Advantages

Thank you for signing in folks!

I see some great advantages over other very competitive gliders we are currently flying. For example the wing is composed of four parts and so there are three levels of dihedral!

The ailerons are four and the outer wing ailerons are interconnected with pins, so only 2 servos are used for ailerons.

The fuselage already has a ballast tube for 16 mm ballast weights.
Mar 09, 2016, 03:53 AM
Thread OP

Time to get started!

Time to get started!

I clean thoroughly all parts with alcohol.
The quality of both models I received is simply exceptional.

I test fit the moving parts to check if all parts look OK.
I test fit the wing to the fuselage, and also the Horizontal stab and Vertical Stab.
The wings fit the carbon tube and fuselage like a glove but very tight.
I received two more gliders for my friends and each had numbered fuselages pods and carbon tubes. This is because the constructor of the kit has trial fitted all equipment before delivery. The carbon wing joiner is inserted from a specific direction and it has a right and left. If you try to fit the wings and there is a big gap between the fuse and the wing dont force it, you are doing a mistake. And here is what happens: If the carbon wing joiner is misplaced even by a couple mm in one direction the wing stop inside the wing hits the carbon joiner and does not allow the wing to touch the fuselage. So try moving the joiner slightly avoiding any damages.
Although the wing panels are very tight on the hollow carbon wing tube, I decide not to use sandpaper.
You have to exercise extreme caution here!
Especially after the green Multiplex plugs are installed you have to attach the wings with a very specific procedure which I will explain later, or if any of the plugs falls inside it will ruin your day if it happens during a race it is game over! The other solution is to leave the wing Multiplex plug not glued to wing panels but hanging with 10cm wires and plug by hand before attaching the wings.
Mar 09, 2016, 04:07 AM
Thread OP

Euphoria, how heavy?

Then I use my precision electronic scale to find out the exact weight of each item I am going to use.

My estimated weight plan is the following:

Fuselage pod 170,90
Carbon pod 48,30
V.S.+ rudder 47,90
Push rods 28,10
H.Stab 46,30
L wing tip 65,00
R wing tip 66,10
R wing 405,60
L wing 409,10
Accessories 38,20
Carbon wing tube 74,50
Total air frame: 1400,00 gr.

Motor: 107,80
Spinner: 11,10
Prop: 19,60
Servos: 91,80
Servos support: 24,40
Esc: 50,00
Rec: 20,30
Altimeter for F5J: 9,70
Battery: 115,00
Cables: 29,80
Etc: 20,50
Total equipment: 500,00 gr.

Total flight weight: 1900,00 gr.

My equipment is the following:
R/C JR X9503 2.4GHz DSMX
Receiver: Spektrum AR9310
Motor: Peggy Pepper 2221 - 8 KV 3595 - powered by Scorpion - Micro Edition 5:1
Esc: Jeti Spin 66 Pro
Servos: MKS DS 6100 4 pieces, MKS DS 6125 mini 2 pieces for flaps.
Servo plates: Servorahmen IDS system for MKS 6100 and IDS system for MKS 6125 mini.
Spinner: Vladimir Model Hyper Spinner power 32/6/0
Prop: Folding 14X12
Battery: Thunder Power 1300-3SM70 (115 GR.)

I tried to complete my project with a flight weight of 1900 gr. and a CG of 110-115 mm without using any ballast.

All small accessory items in second photo are included with the kit. You also get a jig to assist you when gluing the fuselage pod.
Mar 09, 2016, 04:41 AM
Mar 09, 2016, 04:59 PM
Good looking model. Whats the difference between V1 and V2? I see it listed at SUSA that way.
Mar 09, 2016, 06:20 PM
Fish are able to fly!
I'm contacting with builder close and do not know what it means) Older version with built-up rudder (see on the pics) is no more exist so just one version with full molded tail is available. Probably V2 means shorter 3.5m version... but not sure.
Last edited by soarerf3j; Mar 09, 2016 at 06:40 PM.
Mar 10, 2016, 04:08 AM
Thread OP

V1 & v2

Welcome Kostas! (the third owner with a big lasting smile after first flights last weekend)
Also not sure about V1 and V2.
The first models had a built-up rudder, and are probably the V1.
Our models had the newer version rudder so I guess it is the V2.
If anybody has more information welcome to comment here
Mar 10, 2016, 04:29 AM
Thread OP

Wing furrows

Back to work now!
Started with the wings.

I created furrows in four areas where the ailerons and flaps pushrods will pass.
I use a Dremel with some small drills and after a small hole is created I use small rotary sanders to create wide furrows.
Make sure that rods and clevises will not bind resulting in free movement of the control surfaces.
Mar 10, 2016, 04:50 AM
Thread OP

Control horns

The control horns look alike but these are not same size!

I had to modify these in order to achieve the maximum flaps movement.

The horns are sanded to remove the glossy finish and epoxied in place. These fit precisely in the already prepared area.

Quick Reply