Jul 09, 2019, 03:38 AM
So many planes, so little time
Still flying mine, although it tried to escape at one point by flying into a swamp near our airfield. One wing has been glued back together, the windscreens are cracked, and there are numerous small punctures, but it remains airworthy.

to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 12:09 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
There’s something about this plane I can’t really explain. I’ve had it back for only 3 weeks but flown it 22 times. I sometimes fly a good bit - but that’s even a lot for me.

The squirrelly ground handling, bouncing and nose overs on landing when it’s a dragger are completely eliminated with the trike conversion I’ve done. I can now consistently get some of the nicest landings imaginable - smooth, nose up flare right before settling on the mains, then ease the nose gear down on the rollout. It went from one of the nastiest landers to one of the nicest. This is on the smooth asphalt strip I use - and might not apply on grass.

Airborne it’s a nice enough flyer but I’m not convinced it’s among the very best. But it’s open cockpits and bright scheme command attention when it’s in the air. This makes it plenty good enough to give me some real enjoyment.
Jul 25, 2019, 05:39 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
My strange obsession with this plane continues. It’s powered by an Emax GT 4020/07motor. These, for a long time, were my favorite 46 size electric in a moderate price motor. It’s hard to find them anymore so I’ve been using other brands.

I experimented with several different props this afternoon and found one that really works well on this plane. Spacewalker has a big bulky cowl that masks a lot of the prop disc - but an APC 14x8.5e on 5s gave a much nicer balance of speed/thrust with only a little penalty in efficiency and flight times.

I haven’t gotten my radar on it yet, but it looks like Spacewalker really hustles along a lot faster now.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 26, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
Jul 25, 2019, 06:35 PM
Hi Dave,

How much ground clearance with the 14" prop? What kind of duration are you getting?

Thanks!
Jul 25, 2019, 07:05 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Looks like about 2.75” clearance with 14”. A 15” would still have plenty. If the plane was in tail dragger configuration probably a 16” or even 17” would be OK.

I don’t battery most planes for longer duration. I’ve got plenty of batteries and can charge continuously here where I fly so I would prefer to keep the weight (and cost) down. I’m using mostly 4000 30c 5s - now getting about 6 minutes down to about 3.77v per cell - leaving about 30% of charge remaining. This is with fairly aggressive flying. With the previous 7” pitch prop it was going almost 7 minutes to the same charge level.
Jul 25, 2019, 07:18 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
There’s lots of room under the big removable canopy but here’s an issue that was mentioned earlier - the battery tray height is only about 2”.

Many 6s are taller than this and would require some surgery to the battery tray area to fit.
Jul 26, 2019, 02:39 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
About 4 posts back I mentioned the Emax GT 4020/07 as one of my fave 46 class motors but harder to find now. Headsup RC carried them a while back and a few were available from Hobby King (ugh). At one point EMax said they were going to discontinue them to concentrate on multirotor motors, but I don’t think that actually happened.

I found that Aloft Hobbies has, or had, 3 in stock at a great price of about $38 plus actual USPS priority mail shipping. I ordered one to go with the one used spare I have now.

https://alofthobbies.com/emax-gt4020-620kv.html

Disclaimer: I’m in no way associated with Aloft or Emax - just a notice if anyone is interested in one. These motors have a big beefy 8mm shaft, run smooth and quiet and only moderately warm at high power. Not quite as efficient as some premium motors but you could get 3 for the price of one of the very slightly better performing Scorpion motors.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 26, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Jul 26, 2019, 07:06 PM
Only one left now Dave.....😀 Thanks for the heads up!

What other Phoenix models are you using/used the GT 4020/7 in ?

Thanks!
Jul 26, 2019, 07:27 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I’ve used it in a Tucano (but it now has a Scorpion), Cessna 182, Typhoon, Dolphin and Tiger Sport. These Emax motors aren’t real pretty - but they’re good, consistent performers and very durable. A couple have several hundred flights on them and still perform like new. I seem to recall they were well over $50 when I was getting them from Headsup.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 26, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
Jul 26, 2019, 09:31 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
My first Tiger Sport3 did a hard, full power nose-in crash (first pic) . The Emax motor was locked up and literally packed full of dirt. I disassembled it, cleaned it up, and it then did duty in my next Tiger Sport (second pic) for nearly 300 more flights before I sold the plane. Dolphin in the second pic also had same Emax motor.
Jul 27, 2019, 10:29 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I got the Pocket Radar unit on the Spacewalker this morning. Several level passes in both directions. Slowest and fastest pictured.

The deeper pitch prop gained almost 10 mph but gave up about 11 oz (calculated) of thrust. Still enough thrust for big round loops and the extra speed is easily noticeable. Think I’ll leave it as is.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 27, 2019 at 10:39 AM.
Jul 31, 2019, 02:43 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
The 46 size Emax motor I mentioned above arrived today from Aloft Hobbies. This was my first purchase from them and I was pleased with their service/ assistance. A specific product question I had was quickly answered and the motor was shipped fast.

Looking back in my notes, the older one in my spare parts bin (on the right) was actually on the crashed Tiger Sport. So it’s had close to 400 flights and one crash so far - but still runs great.

I need to find a couple of larger planes to put both of these into service.

Emax box says “just for professional”. Maybe an amateur like me shouldn’t use them?

Quick Reply