Mar 25, 2016, 05:38 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Did you have problems mounting the dummy motor, Mike? Looked to me like it was going to be really hard to make a clean installation of it.

I noticed the nose-over tendencies, too. And I was surprised by it. Doesn't look like that would be an issue with this plane. Nose-overs as well as the unpredictable ground handling were completely eliminated when I converted it to a trike.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2016, 09:35 PM
We shall serve the Lord
I did not use the dummy motor. I cut one side out and didn't like what I saw. I think it looks just fine without it.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Mar 25, 2016, 10:06 PM
I've begun putting this plane together. I find the quality to be excellent. The covering is darn near perfect. Very nice looking model.

I plan on installing an Emax 60 power motor with a 6s battery.

Dave, are you using any expo.?? If so, how much. ??

Thanks for your posts. They are valuable.
Mar 26, 2016, 07:59 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Mike and I have both found the plane has a tendency to nose heaviness. A 60 motor and 6s battery is going to be pretty heavy and could be hard to balance, Birds. Even with my 46 and 5s, the battery is rearward on the tray for balance.

I'm always reluctant to recommend control throws/ expo settings. These are more personal preference. But, yes, I'm using a a modest 20-30% negative expo on the ailerons and elevator.

Love the Spacewalker in the bluebonnets, Mike! I'm a Texan, born and raised about 50 miles from you. I remember how beautiful the bluebonnets are there in the springtime.

Dave
Mar 26, 2016, 08:19 AM
Nice upgrade to the color scheme.!!! Looks great....
Mar 26, 2016, 11:14 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Somebody needs to try their hand at mounting the dummy motor. Are you going to do it, Birds? If you do, post a picture of the results.
Mar 26, 2016, 03:34 PM
dbc,

The Spacewalker looks so much better with the yellow trim you added. I think it would also benefit from similar treatment to extend the yellow up to the cockpit behind the pilot.

Steve.
Mar 26, 2016, 05:30 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
That didn't occur to me, Steve. But I see what you're saying. And I agree.

It's a little tedious and time-consuming to do. It requires a layer of white under the yellow to completely hide the red underneath. Maybe when I get caught up with some more pressing projects, I'll try that modification, too.

Dave
Mar 27, 2016, 07:20 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
Mike and I have both found the plane has a tendency to nose heaviness. A 60 motor and 6s battery is going to be pretty heavy and could be hard to balance, Birds. Even with my 46 and 5s, the battery is rearward on the tray for balance....

Love the Spacewalker in the bluebonnets, Mike! I'm a Texan, born and raised about 50 miles from you. I remember how beautiful the bluebonnets are there in the springtime.

Dave
The Bluebonnets are very good this year. Must have had the winter rains at just the right time.

As for the Spacewalker power system, I think the Rimfire 46 with a 4S battery and an APC 13x8 prop would be almost perfect. I have a friend flying the Phoenix Sea Bee with this setup and it's very nice.

I like the way the plane flies on the Rimfire 55 and 6S, but I've only got 2 flights on it so far. I still need pictures and a video for the review, so I hate to move the CG too far back yet.

McD
Mar 28, 2016, 07:47 PM
I'm taking my time getting this plane together, matter of fact, at times it's at a standstill.

I haven't read the manual on this but I dry fit the the horizontal stab by sliding it through the rear of the fuse. How do you put the glue to it and then slide it through.?? Stupid question.??.... I'm sure the manual contains the answer.

I'm thinking of adding the yellow stripes as Dave did on his build. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it but I do like the extended striping. That is one huge cowl.!!!

I too thought the wheel pants assembly was pain. The hardest part was cutting the fiberglass. And then centering the wheels took a couple tries as well.

I took a couple pictures with it in the stand the other night. I'll post one or 2 here.
Mar 29, 2016, 06:29 AM
So many planes, so little time
I had a hard time locating the ESC due to the size (E-Flite 80 amp with cooling fins), so I cut out an access/cooling hole in the slanted area on the bottom of the fuse at the rear of the cowl. The ESC fits under the battery tray and the connection plugs for the battery and receiver exit from the back. This ESC comes with an on/off switch built in, and that reaches the pre-cut switch hole with no problem.

Hopefully this will help with the nose-heavy situation. Planning on using 5S 5000mAh Zippy Flightmax batteries and a Rimfire 46 motor.

A couple more evenings and she'll be ready to go - although the winds are looking pretty rough for the next week or so.

Mar 29, 2016, 07:06 AM
We shall serve the Lord
As for the wheels, I found that leaving out the recommended thick "washer" allowed the wheels to be more centered in the wheel pants and made slipping the assembly into the pants a little easier. The Talon 90 ESC I used was pretty large, but I was able to fit it on the motor box below the motor.

McD
Mar 29, 2016, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
The Talon 90 ESC I used was pretty large, but I was able to fit it on the motor box below the motor.

McD
Yeah, I may look at doing the same with mine - much better opportunity for cooling in that location.
Mar 30, 2016, 06:25 AM
Well, looks like the 5S 5000 Zippy is out of the picture - too tall for the battery area! The canopy won't close.

A 4S 4000 fits fine, but I don't know if I'll get enough oompf with the Rimfire .46 - this is a relatively heavy plane.
Mar 30, 2016, 07:45 AM
Would two 5S 2600 batteries in parallel fit? Also, I have a Great Planes Escapade with a Rimfire .46 on 4S 40C batteries and a 12X6 APC E prop that has plenty of performance. It's fairly heavy too. You might be ok on 4S in the Spacewalker.

Good luck!

Quick Reply