Mar 13, 2016, 11:26 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Yep, I'm here. Maybe we can work something out on that!

Fair warning: Be prepared to do some creative modeling to assemble wheels/wheel pants/gear leg as prescribed by the manual. It would be much easier if you're willing to drill an axle hole on the outside of the wheel pants. But I won't do that. Instead I'll work with the assembly for an hour!

I complained a few post back about the excessive weight of this gear set up. But it sure is robust and the 3" wheels should work well on grass. I like it's chunky look and it would probably almost support the weight of a full-scale Spacewalker.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2016, 05:09 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I got the main gear and tail wheel mounted and aligned. And worked a good while on the motor mount. The pictured aluminum standoffs are not the ones supplied with the kit. They are 10mm longer as the EMax motor is a 5050 instead of the Rimfire's 4260 dimensions. The secondary plate also had to be redrilled to accommodate the different X mount spacing.

It's not stated in the assembly manual, but it appears that 115mm is the correct firewall to prop collar spacing. This gives about 10mm of cowl overlap on the hatch.

Why is that pilot looking at me when I take the picture?
Mar 13, 2016, 05:20 PM
Looking good Dave.

I'm currently on a very slow build of the Phoenix PC-9 and had similar issues with the motor stand offs with an Emax GT4020/7 that I'm using. I extended them by 10mm too and also had to re-drill the secondary plate.

That pilot does have something of a questioning look on his face. perhaps he knows something that he's yet to reveal to you.

Steve.
Mar 13, 2016, 08:09 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I guess you're doing the 1500mm Phoenix version not the 1700mm of the Pilatus, is that right Steve?

That's a much more involved build than this one and will probably take a lot of time. I've considered doing one of those, but it is so similar to my fave Tucano, even down to the color scheme, that I've decided not to pursue it.

I'm generally a slow builder, but occasionally when things go right and I get "in the groove" I'll spend the entire day on an assembly. That's what happened today and I really made some good progress.

Dave
Mar 14, 2016, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
I guess you're doing the 1500mm Phoenix version not the 1700mm of the Pilatus, is that right Steve?
Dave
Yes, that's the one.
Mar 15, 2016, 05:21 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
The plane is pretty close to being done. Still have to mount the windshields (and maybe the dummy cylinder heads?) as well as some housekeeping under the canopy/hatch.

Cutting out and mounting the windshields looks to be a tedious job. I might just do the maiden letting the pilot get some bugs in his face. Hopefully the windshields will give it a more finished look. And maybe the dummy cylinder heads would help add some interest to that big, red, blank cowl.

The plane came in at 5 lbs. 15.8 oz. bare, or 7 lbs. 3 oz. with a 5s 4000 MAH battery. It balanced at the recommended CG with the battery just a little behind the center of the battery tray - just about perfect.
Last edited by dbc; Mar 15, 2016 at 09:56 PM.
Mar 15, 2016, 05:29 PM
Right Rudder
Dave,

Wow! That Spacewalker looks terrific!
Mar 15, 2016, 07:55 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Cutting out and installing the windshields neatly is going to be pretty difficult - just as I anticipated. The instructed method is to cut them out and then CA them onto the cowl. I would challenge anyone to make that technique work. I've had disastrous results with trying that in the past.

You are then instructed to apply the red tape around the seam. Fine idea except the tape is not stretchy or very flexible and can't be worked around the curves w/o wrinkling.

Here's a picture of the first one I cut out and mounted. I used a small screw in each of the lower corners, some canopy cement, and then a section of red tape across the front. I might work on it some more - it doesn't look real good.
Last edited by dbc; Mar 15, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
Mar 15, 2016, 09:54 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I guess the windshields turned out OK. The plane looks a lot more finished with them both on there. Still unsure about installing those dummy cylinder heads/exhaust pipes. That big cowl looks kinda' bare without them.

I'll set up the radio and control throws tomorrow and be ready to maiden. If only the wind gods will cooperate. I'll maiden on the 5s battery with 1150 W. But I'm also hoping the plane will fly satisfactorily on the 800 W from 4s.
Mar 16, 2016, 05:49 AM
Looking very nice Dave.
Mar 16, 2016, 11:39 AM
That is a shiny plane!
Mar 16, 2016, 12:38 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Got it all set up, checked over, and ready to maiden. Winds here out of the WSW at 15 mph w/ gusts to 21 mph. I could sure use one of your gyros today, Enríque.

Maybe they will settle late in the day, as they frequently do. I will drive over to the large, open grass field for the maiden. Very unusual for me to transport a plane. I always just step out the back door to fly! 😀

Dave
Mar 16, 2016, 03:59 PM

waiting for the flight report....
Mar 16, 2016, 07:21 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Under less than ideal conditions, I got the maiden and one additional flight this evening. Winds were 12-15 mph and quite choppy.

Just a few clicks on the ailerons and the plane was in trim. It flew at speed with good stability and tracked well. It looked nice and felt solid doing all the basic aerobatic maneuvers. Inverted was very stable. Plenty of rudder authority for sharp stall turns and even able to hold KE for a pass at full power. Aileron rolls were close to axial w/o rudder input. I could get sharp snaps to the right but they were less clean and slower to the left. Stalls were easily managed with no abrupt tendency to drop a wing. Stall speed was a little high but onset was easy to determine with the controls becoming mushy and a slight wing rock.

It was still very windy and slowing down on the approach and landing required you to really be on the sticks - constant input on all three axis. But it responds well to control inputs, and even after being bumped around by the wind on the approach, I got nice clean landings both times. This plane is heavy and is not a floater. It can't be slowed way down and still carries a good bit of speed into the landing.

I'll reserve final judgment until I can get it fully dialed in and fly it under better conditions, but so far I'm giving it two thumbs up.
Last edited by dbc; Mar 17, 2016 at 03:53 AM.
Mar 18, 2016, 08:30 AM
Just one left in stock... hurry up if you want to buy it!

Quick Reply