Mar 11, 2016, 10:43 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300crazy
I know that this is an electric forum but I've been looking at this one to install a twin cyl 4-stroke, perhaps a Saito 90ts or 100t. Seems like a natural for this type of engine.
Karl
I totally agree with you Karl. I think this plane begs for a four stroke power plant. Unfortunately, my flying venue requires electric only.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2016, 10:58 AM
I've heard a few twins at the field I fly at, and once you hear them it's over! I'm fortunate to fly where all power plants can be used.
Karl
Mar 11, 2016, 11:13 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Maybe you should order one of these, Karl, before this first order sells out. There's only three remaining in stock now at Tower. But they'll probably be restocked within a few weeks.

You should start a thread in the fuel section on the Skywalker. It would probably get more interest than here in the electrics.

Dave
Mar 11, 2016, 11:28 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Looking more closely at the kit contents this morning I'm happy to see Phoenix doing a much better job of packing. They're really trying minimize chances of shipping damage - they've come a long way from a couple of years ago when things were just thrown in the box and minimally taped down.

Now if they would just start making a better effort at weight control I would be a lot happier. Below is a typical example:
Mar 11, 2016, 01:23 PM
Right Rudder
Looks super!
Mar 11, 2016, 02:52 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Mine arrived yesterday. Looks very nice just like yours. Review process is much slower than a normal build as I have to photograph the process. Hope to get the unboxing done this weekend.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Mar 11, 2016, 03:49 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Thanks, Carlos. I have always been attracted to open cockpit planes. Especially with tandem seating like this one. I got underway with the assembly today and it's going smoothly so far. I have high expectations that this will turn out to be a really nice plane.

I'm a slow builder, too, Mike. Even when I'm not documenting the build with pictures. I just like to take my time and try to do the best work possible. I would be embarrassed to admit how many hours I usually have in one of these ARF's that are advertised as " buy today, fly tomorrow".

Dave
Mar 11, 2016, 09:56 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Maybe I'm just a picky builder, but I always find problems even with the premium ARF kits. Hope to get started unboxing in the morning with the early sun's light for pictures.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Mar 12, 2016, 11:23 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I've found a few minor nits I could pick with this one but generally the plane looks very nice. I'm not going to do a detailed build log as there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of interest on this thread. Maybe your review will have the details of the build, Mike.

I've gotten the tail assembly epoxied and hinged and the fuse servos and pushrods all installed. No issues so far. Unlike other Phoenix assembly manuals, this one does not seem to give the dimension from the firewall to the propeller collar. But this can be pretty much determined from the proper cowl placement.
Mar 12, 2016, 11:34 PM
Hi Dave,

Looking forward to some photos and your flight report. This Spacewalker is a nice looking bird and and the flight video looks great!

Mickydee
Mar 13, 2016, 07:33 AM
Right Rudder
Hi Guys,

Found a good video that no one has posted here yet.

In the beginning of the Video and at the final Approach, I witnessed some type of cross wind action that make the model veer slightly and requires constant correction or seems like they (Tower Hobbies) took out this model in very windy / gusty conditions.

Later in the Video you see the model perform better in high speed and those turns are much better.

Here's the Video:
Phoenix Model Spacewalker GP/EP ARF (2 min 36 sec)
Mar 13, 2016, 08:25 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I also saw that video, Carlos, on the Phoenix website prior to making the decision to purchased his one.

I was a little concerned about the apparent lack of stability in flight. Hopefully this was caused by the choppy winds and not by some issue with the plane. This model is more tightly coupled, with a shorter fuselage, then many of my favorite flying planes. This can result in a slightly less stable and much more sensitive plane.

Another very windy day here, with rain closing in, so I'll spend much of this Sunday on Spacewalker assembly.

I might leave the dummy cylinder head/exhaust pipe pieces off of the cowl. I've never been too fond of those and the plane looks much cleaner without them. I can actually find some pictures of the full-scale Spacewalker with a fully enclosed cowl, but most have exposed cylinder heads. What do you think?
Last edited by dbc; Mar 13, 2016 at 08:31 AM.
Mar 13, 2016, 08:40 AM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc

I might leave the dummy cylinder head/exhaust pipe pieces off of the cowl. I've never been too fond of those and the plane looks much cleaner without them. I can actually find some pictures of the full-scale Spacewalker with a fully enclosed cowl, but most have exposed cylinder heads. What do you think?
Dave,

I vote to leave those exhaust pipe pieces off the model as it will look very clean in the air.
Mar 13, 2016, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
You can always send them to me Dave.

Steve.
Mar 13, 2016, 11:03 AM
Right Rudder
Actually, those Dummy Cylinders would look great on my e-Flite J3 Cub!

Dave, are you reading?

Quick Reply