Mar 08, 2016, 12:37 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Discussion

Spacewalker by Phoenix

The Spacewalker is a home-built plane, from plans or kit, that was offered by Warner Aeroworks from here in Seminole Fl. This model is actually a Spacewalker II, the tandem two-seat version of the original.

I really like the retro 1930's open-cockpit look and it's vivid color scheme. It's generous wing area and fairly lightweight should result in a nice flyer. The big removable canopy and bolt-on wings give it a roomy fuselage with easy access. This is exactly the design I prefer.

Mine arrives in a couple of days and I plan to begin assembly right away. As usual, I'll power it electric. But I might go for a light weight 4s set up for this one if correct CG can be achieved w/o added weight.

Anyone else have one of these with some experiences to share?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2016, 09:44 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Mine should be here this week. I plan to use a 55 Rimfire on 6 cells for mine. I think a Rimfire 46 should work just as well on 4 cells for yours.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Mar 09, 2016, 06:13 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Are you going to do a review of it, Mike?

I like the Rimfire motors - have them on a couple of other planes but I doubt I will use one here. I've found several other economy motors that perform about as well but cost way less and I'll probably select one of them for this application.

Dave
Mar 09, 2016, 09:40 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Yes, it's my next review project, but I hope you plan on a build thread here, because the official review won't be published till after SEFF I'm sure.

I had an older Seagull Models Spacewalker II with a 55AX glow motor that was about this same size and flew very well. It was a gooey mess though and I often thought about converting it. Every time I got serious though, the reality of cutting the top off for a hatch and reinforcing the structure just seemed like way too much work.

As for the power setup on the Phoenix verison, I plan to use the same power setup I used on my other Phoenix Model reviews. One of our club members has a Phoenix Model Sea Bee on 4-cells that is just as fast as the review model on 6-cells, so I know the Rimfire 46 works well on that setup. I think the lower kV of the 55 needs the 6-cells though. It sure worked well on the Spitfire, Sbach 342, and Radial Rocket.

I've come to like the Rimfire motors. In general, they seem to have a slightly higher kV for each motor size than the industry standards. Many electric planes or conversions seem to need oversized props or more cells to fly properly with the stock motors. The Rimfires seem to be just right.

Keep us posted on your motor choice and results. I'm Subscribed!

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Mar 09, 2016 at 10:02 AM.
Mar 09, 2016, 10:42 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I've never had a Spacewalker but I also considered the Seagull one a couple of years back. Finally decided against it. This Phoenix one "checked most of my boxes" so I decided to go with it.

The Rimfire motors slightly unorthodox KV ratings do sometimes offer more options. But I tend to prefer 5s power in this 1600mm size plane. It's not too hard to get 1200w or more on 5s and the power system weighs a little less than a comparable 6s. KV's around 600–650 work best for this but the Rimfire 46 is too high and the 55 a bit too low.

I've grumbled in another thread about the Phoenix models poorer construction quality recently. I'm anxious to see how this one looks. Hopefully I will be able to take back those complaints.
Last edited by dbc; Mar 09, 2016 at 04:14 PM.
Mar 09, 2016, 01:05 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I've used a lot of different low-priced motors: EMP, Suppo (both sold under several different names), Emax, Leopard, etc. But this is one of my favorites in the 46 size: EMax GT 4020/07.

It draws over 1120w on 5s with a 13" prop and develops about 9.5 lb of thrust. Runs smooth, quiet, and barely warm. Over 800w on 4s with a 14 x 8.5. It uses a big, beefy 8mm shaft and a bolt on prop adapter which I prefer at this power level. I'll probably use this $50 motor on the Spacewalker.
Last edited by dbc; Mar 09, 2016 at 04:17 PM.
Mar 09, 2016, 04:16 PM
Hi dbc,

I have a VQ models Spacewalker of more or less the same size, although not quite so pretty looking. I bought it off a friend of a friend for a song with no ESC and a very inappropriate motor.

I gave it some care and attention and fitted an Emax 2826/06 850kv with a 13x6.5 prop and a 60A ESC as I had these looking for a home. I fly the model using a 4S 4000mah lipo.

All up the model weighs in at 2.62k (5.776lb).

Figures come out at 700W at 45A giving around 121W / lb which is adequate for scale like flight without being exciting. With the power system being proposed for your Spacewalker I think you'll have power in abundance.

To give you some encouragement for your build I attach a video of me flying my Spacewalker.

Steve.

Spacewalker (3 min 2 sec)
Mar 09, 2016, 06:59 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Thanks for posting the video, Steve. Looks to be a nice flying plane and that pilot appears to be having a great time - love his flapping scarf!

This Phoenix plane is spec'ed at 6.6 to 7 pounds. But from my previous Phoenix builds, I expect it to come in at or above 7 lb. I'd prefer it to be a little lighter but I still should have plenty of power.

I've used that Emax motor you referenced, too. First on a Great Planes P51 Sport Fighter and later on the Phoenix Giles. It a good performer on 4s.
Mar 10, 2016, 10:30 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Mine was a different motor than I thought, Steve. Actually was a BL 3526/04.

And here are another couple of options I have on hand - Rimfire 60 and Scorpion S4020/10.
Mar 11, 2016, 09:13 AM
With the wing bolts in the middle of the cabin, that space is wasted unless you put some kind of tray on top with some holes to tighten the wing screws.

I like it, but have too many planes still waiting to be assembled.
Mar 11, 2016, 09:15 AM
A big concern I have about the Phoenix models
is the wing joiner. I haven't run the calculations
on the aluminum tube. It seems a little light
for high G maneuvers, but could be fine.

Of more concern it the connection between the
wing spars and the joiner tube. This could be
quite variable depending on how diligent the
factory worker is in building it. I've seen the
same design on other airplanes where the
joiner tube ripped through the wing in high G
maneuvers.

Jenny
Mar 11, 2016, 09:57 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Jenny:

I'm only familiar with one instance of the aluminum joiner tube bending in Phoenix planes. That was reported with the Phoenix Sonic which uses an even smaller diameter tube. I epoxied a carbon fiber reinforcement rod inside the tube on my Sonic and I've had no problems.

I've assembled and flown 7 or 8 Phoenix planes and never had a problem with wings/ joiners. I frequently fly some fairly aggressive aerobatics but seldom do violent maneuvers resulting in extremely high G's - these sport planes really weren't designed for that anyway.

I'll study this one some more and might epoxy a section of carbon fiber or wooden dowel inside the rod if it looks questionable. But, based on my past experiences and flying style, that's probably not necessary.

Dave
Last edited by dbc; Mar 11, 2016 at 10:24 AM.
Mar 11, 2016, 10:30 AM
I know that this is an electric forum but I've been looking at this one to install a twin cyl 4-stroke, perhaps a Saito 90ts or 100t. Seems like a natural for this type of engine.
Karl
Mar 11, 2016, 10:39 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
There's really a lot of space available under this hatch, Enrique. Probably more than enough to accommodate your mandatory gyro and other electronics.

A 50x65mm lite ply mounting plate could be glued between the wing metal tabs not affecting their attachment. And there's lots of room under the battery tray and in the compartments behind the servo tray.

I hear you on too many planes - but I contend that too many is better than not enough!

Quick Reply