Oct 04, 2016, 01:01 AM
I always pre-heat my LiPos to ~25C before charging the morning I am going to fly, and then keep them at this temp or slightly above until I fly. This seems to give long life and more punch; charging at the field is never a problem as the internal warmth from the discharge means they will happily accept the charge and be ready to fly again, so it is really only the first charge/discharge cycle of the day where heating is necessary. I am really interested in your G2 results, I bought 2 packs and decided they were rubbish, but this was before I learnt about the importance of temperature, so I may have to revisit them.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2016, 06:23 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
I'm not too impressed by the G2 at any normal temperature frankly. The original A Spec Nano Tech are a lot better in my experience. However it is possible they will perform OK if kept right on the edge. Some of the Revo packs I tested a couple of years ago had the same characteristic. High IR at room temp but when you pushed them to the limit of their reasonable max C rate they did well.

Not sure what effect it will have on cycle life though. They may be very short lived.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak52Driver
I always pre-heat my LiPos to ~25C before charging the morning I am going to fly, and then keep them at this temp or slightly above until I fly. This seems to give long life and more punch; charging at the field is never a problem as the internal warmth from the discharge means they will happily accept the charge and be ready to fly again, so it is really only the first charge/discharge cycle of the day where heating is necessary. I am really interested in your G2 results, I bought 2 packs and decided they were rubbish, but this was before I learnt about the importance of temperature, so I may have to revisit them.
Oct 05, 2016, 06:00 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
I can confirm the lack of quality of the Nano A-Spec G2.

4s 2650 65C pack has an IR at storage level of 39mOhm.
4s 2650 30-40 C pack of blue wrapped Turnigy at storage level 18mOhm.
Temp in hangar 20degrees.

But that already was clear the moment I received the Nano A-Spec G2.
The IR was higher than most 2200mAh pack I have.
But at that time, I had to buy the Nano...since everything else was out of stock.
Of course I keep on using it, but the price should be half the regular Turnigy pack instead of double....

The regular Nano I also did try years ago.... but they where also 'terrible bad' compared to a regular Turnigy blue wrapped pack at that time.
So I could have known this.... but no other packs where available at that time.
Last edited by TreeDiver; Oct 05, 2016 at 06:10 AM.
Oct 05, 2016, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver
I can confirm the lack of quality of the Nano A-Spec G2.

4s 2650 65C pack has an IR at storage level of 39mOhm.
4s 2650 30-40 C pack of blue wrapped Turnigy at storage level 18mOhm.
Temp in hangar 20degrees.

But that already was clear the moment I received the Nano A-Spec G2.
The IR was higher than most 2200mAh pack I have.
But at that time, I had to buy the Nano...since everything else was out of stock.
Of course I keep on using it, but the price should be half the regular Turnigy pack instead of double....

The regular Nano I also did try years ago.... but they where also 'terrible bad' compared to a regular Turnigy blue wrapped pack at that time.
So I could have known this.... but no other packs where available at that time.
I have some original Nano A specs and they are OK, but the G2 are terrible, IMHO the best value packs by far are the Turnigy HDs. We can't get REVOs down here so I recently purchased some HRBs, they test very well but I haven't yet had a chance to fly them due to our very wet Spring.
Oct 06, 2016, 02:43 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Quote:
I have some original Nano A specs and they are OK, but the G2 are terrible, IMHO the best value packs by far are the Turnigy HDs. We can't get REVOs down here so I recently purchased some HRBs, they test very well but I haven't yet had a chance to fly them due to our very wet Spring.
I never tried the Turnigy HD's. Revo is also not available in Europe. The best until now during all these years are the regular Turnigy blue wrapped 30-40C. Amazing how good they are. Some are almost 10 years old! I also use some older Rhino 30C and they are still in mind condition.
Note that I am a sport flyer and the amount of cycles some packs do make are not that many each year. My GensAce did wear out now, which started also as very good packs.
Currently I am only buying Graphene if I need new ones. They are a new generation of LiPo packs.
Oct 06, 2016, 07:29 AM
Now I see why flights in -20 tend to be much shorter than -10.

Stuffing the battery compartment with bubble wrap is usually enough to keep the battery warm, assuming it is warm to begin with.
Oct 06, 2016, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkslynx

Stuffing the battery compartment with bubble wrap is usually enough to keep the battery warm, assuming it is warm to begin with.
Not only are the flights shorter, but also the life of the lipo.
As the IR is so much higher the pilot uses more throttle to overcome the voltage drop across the IR which takes more current producing a lot more self generated heat in the lipo. This seems to be very damaging and shortens the lipo life so you should always preheat the lipo in very cold conditions.

The effect is so good at damaging lipos that it was dubbed "Winter failure syndrome" in the UK so how you manage up there makes me wonder!

Wayne
Oct 09, 2016, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkslynx

I spent some time at Andoya Rocket Range when I was with Defence, boy that was cold, I hope you aren't that far North!
Oct 09, 2016, 05:03 PM
Quote:
All the Nanos I've had ...A & others were literally burning $50 notes up in the air... Pure junk...Puffing very early in its life... I have to agree the HD's are the best performing Lipos so far... I have just ordered a couple of 4000mah 6s Graphene 45c to test out on my Venom & F-86...A little expensive compared to the HD's but if they perform to what some people have claimed It'll be worth it... The amount of $$$ I've spent or should I say wasted on Lipos in the last few years I'm too scared to tabulate...
Oct 09, 2016, 08:02 PM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
I'm closing this thread. Before it turns into just another LiPo opinionfest.

Quick Reply