B-70 Project.......RC XB-70 - RC Groups
Mar 07, 2016, 10:56 PM
Build Log

B-70 Project.......RC XB-70

Going to attempt a large XB-70. Fifteen feet long.... Six 90 mm fans.

XB-70 was the most advanced and complicated aircraft in the world. It met all its design objectives including Mach 3. Then it was rewarded with program cancellation. Advancing rocket technology caused the Pentagon to rethink manned bombers. Maybe the most successful airplane ever to be cancelled before production.
XB-70 reduced legendary superplanes---like B-58 Hustler and F-104 Starfighter---to mere chase plane status. And chase they would. Until they were left behind---far behind---the much faster XB-70.

When I was a kid my mom drove me to the Air Force Museum. She was smitten by the XB-70. We climbed the two-story pilot stairs and peered into the cockpit. The view of the immense ship from up there was unbelievable. Mom said it was the most beautiful airplane she'd ever seen...."like some giant, graceful swan."

Those stairs are long gone now. And so is my mom. If this model succeeds, I'm dedicating it to her. If it crashes on maiden, its my baby---100%.

My Edited Video (1 min 56 sec)
Last edited by softshell29; Jun 24, 2016 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2016, 11:00 PM
This is just a trial fit of pieces without gluing. This will help reveal what needs redesign. While helping me plan design of the landing gear, intake ducting and other systems.
Mar 08, 2016, 12:42 AM
Really exciting to see all those bulkheads mocked up together. I'll be watching the progress!
Mar 08, 2016, 06:24 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Love it, subbed to this for sure.
Mar 08, 2016, 08:41 AM
Great project. Looks like really nice work on the bulkheads.
Mar 08, 2016, 09:13 AM
Arrowhead
Gorgeous plane!

There is a conspiracy theory among some folks up here that the US govt of the day pressured our govt into scrapping the Arrow because they saw it as a threat to the Valkyrie.
Mar 08, 2016, 10:11 AM
When cows fly!
Holy Crap! Love this plane and really looking forward to this build!
Mar 08, 2016, 01:53 PM
Subbed in!
Mar 08, 2016, 02:25 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I watch a few of the RC XB-70 videos on Youtube, strange but most seem to suffer from wing rock, take care.

Ray.
Mar 08, 2016, 02:52 PM
Wow!
What a project!

Back when I was a teenager ( the mid 1960's) we used to fly free flight models at a place called "Bong Field" which was an abandoned Air force project. IT was to have been a B-58 base and later a B-70 base.
It was named after Major Richard Bong
It's located south of Milwaukee Wisconsin , just north of the Illinois state line and a few miles west of I-94.

It was huge place
It was supposed to have had two 15,000 runways running northeast towards Lake Michigan
One was partially concrete and the rest was gravel.

Today it's a state park.
I remember when the one B-70 crashed after a mid-air collision with an F-104 at Edwards AFB.
That was all over the news back then!
Mar 08, 2016, 03:50 PM
TJK
TJK
Very cool! I've subscribed.

What the smaller XB-70 in the background of the first photograph?
Mar 08, 2016, 06:15 PM
Wow,

Amazing looking start to what is going to be a really cool project, cant wait to see more

Ken
Mar 09, 2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks, Guys,

Always daunting to do a public build and know how many of the people watching are way better than me. Many watch but don't post. Some-- like Heli --are on a whole different planet with their advanced skills and techniques. Amazing.

I will attempt the XB-70 with traditional, earthbound construction techniques ( since thats all I know). I'll try to post tips and solutions as I go , in case they are of use to others.

TJK : The smaller one you asked about is a plastic model by AMT/ERTL suspended above the build for reference.

North American XB-70 Valkyrie Moves Into Museum’s Fourth Building (5 min 0 sec)
Mar 09, 2016, 10:04 AM

XB-70 Formers

An initial step was to strengthen the formers around the gear. I don't know how I will do the gear yet. Its challenging to get this shape fuse to bear the loads and prevent the 10 retracted wheels from wrecking intake air flow. But I know I will need greater strength than 1/8 lite ply.

I've found sandwich panels to be very strong in the past. So I modified a selection of the formers to be 1/8 Spruce Ply or 1/8 Liteply sandwiching a core of 1/4 contest balsa.

I'm not completelyhappy with CA or wood glue for laminations, so I used both. Slow-drying wood glue is smeared over most of each surface. Then tack spots of thick CA are applied to serve as clamps to hold everything together until the wood glue dries. .....After pressing everything together for 5 seconds by hand, the weights are really not necessary since the CA spots hold everything like nails.
Mar 09, 2016, 11:20 AM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where did you get those neat little scissor platforms in the first pic?