Mar 06, 2016, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Getting a Commando Airworthy

I started this first on my blog. I was not getting comments so I'm giving it a try here in the Old Timer Section. I suspect things get buried there.

Here is the link to the start:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2614520

and continuation from last weekend:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2615257

This weekend brought some repairs. I decided to repair the plane as the prior owner made it, to see if I could get it to fly that way. I'll forego the pull/pull rudder system and a few other things that i did not understand.

Some things I did do were to patch holes, make a new main bulkhead, peg the rudder, create a lighter tail wheel on the drill press, make a NIMH receiver pack and refine the wing mounting holes for the wing.

I imagine with full size RC receiver, it will be heavy. That's the way it was flown by the owner.

I plan on using a balloon for the fuel system, to fit in between the firewall and the first bulkhead. What was old is modern again since the heli flyers have been using balloon tanks for a while. I remember balloon tanks from my control line days as a kid and discounted them as being a gimmick. Age brings wisdom. The owner of the hobby shop I worked for "Dick's Hobby Shop" said they worked great. I think it was explained in a diagram in some Carl Goldberg kits back in the 70's.
Last edited by Oneblueyedog; Mar 08, 2016 at 12:02 AM. Reason: logic
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2016, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
I did a visual search on Google and found the item Dick's sold. Back then the balloon looked about as sketchy. Check out the appreciation of the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jim-Walker-1...-/360968112240
Mar 08, 2016, 12:51 PM

Commando R/C

More Commando photos. Jack
Mar 08, 2016, 10:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the photos Jack. It looks like I could use some revisions to the empennage before I cover the pieces. Good references. Great workmanship.

What is the electric set up you have on your plane? What is the gross weight?
Mar 09, 2016, 11:31 AM
The Yellow one was scaled down with an Astro .010 geared motor. The orange one was full size with various electric motors over the years including Astro and Speed 400. Later flew with 1 cc Enya glow and diesel engines. I do not remember the weights but the orange one was rather heavy with 7 cell Sanyo 800AR Ni-Cd packs in the 1990's. To get a good glide I used a shim under the rear of the wing and balanced at 50%. Cut down control surface movements with the rear CG. Later my eye sight not so good so went with larger models. Jack
Mar 20, 2016, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Got back to the Commando. Photos to come but I removed the wood from the front top firewall and wing mount. I rounded the firewall to match similarly to some of the plans I saw, as well as Jack's plane in the photo. Added curved balsa to form the cowl. It will have a clear, wrapped windscreen and side windows. I've completed the fuse to covering stage.
Last edited by Oneblueyedog; Mar 20, 2016 at 11:04 PM.
Apr 15, 2016, 09:08 AM
Thread OP
Here are the rebuild photos that I wrote about weeks ago. Captions in the photos. I installed the radio. The balloon tank works great. It really does seem like you can put it anywhere. I'll take some pictures of it before I fly. First start of the engine was last night.

I put about 1.5 ounces of fuel in the balloon to test it. The vet syringe had a max capacity of 2 oz. Sucking the air out of the ballon, you should have vacuum in the fuel tubing. I used this thread to create the tank...http://www.coxengineforum.com/t6185-simple-ballon-tank

Used a RC tank stopper, perforated silicon fuel line in the tank, tuned pipe coupler section. I plugged the 2 other holes in the stopper with poly tube from a discarded spray bottle. Trick to keep the center hole in the stopper air tight is to use the poly tube full diameter and extrude each end after heating it up. I extruded the tube to match the ID of the fuel lines. The tank should hold a vacuum. I'm a believer in these tanks now.
Last edited by Oneblueyedog; Apr 25, 2016 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Grammar
Apr 16, 2016, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
I test flew the Commando yesterday and it made a perfect ROG off the club runway. It took a bit of down trim and the rudder is very sensitive, needing hardly any control input to turn. It flies with authority but slow. like a foamy trainer. The flight duration was about 3 minutes on 1.5 oz of fuel . I dead sticked it into the grass because a fellow pilot was on the runway at the time. No damage. Big smile on my face.

The club VP came over and said "What's that sticking out of that transmitter?" "It's an antenna and this is an old timer!" He got a kick out of it and I explained the balloon tank to him. He then informed me of an old timer event coming up in the Houston area.

I hope the old owner had a hand in this great flight gazing down and smiling on the fun. I think he did.

This thread is dedicated to Glenn Elliott, previous owner and pilot of the Commando. May his soul forever soar in Heaven.
Last edited by Oneblueyedog; Apr 18, 2016 at 08:22 PM.
Apr 24, 2016, 12:58 AM
Good rebuild and glad the commando flew well for you Oneblueyedog. never heard of a balloon tank before. Interesting, but I think I'll stick to electrics.
Apr 25, 2016, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
My Club field Dick Scobee Field is underwater from the Houston flood last week. Our club has been invited to fly at various fields in the area so I'll get a chance to fly it again and take some photos/video. Fort Bend RC hosted some of us last weekend and they have a very nice and secure field. I'll toss the Commando in for some relaxing flying between aerobatic work.

Quick Reply