Thread Tools
Mar 06, 2016, 08:54 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Maiden VIDEO! USA Edition 45" One Hit Wonder


Here are a few photos of our latest build. Bluecor and nearly complete. The first photo is the remains of the prototype built July 4, 2015. This is the same basic plan as the 30" Dollar Tree Foam One Hit Wonder which has a thread or its own with plans posted.

Maiden Video

ONE HIT WONDER SUNSET (2 min 43 sec)
Last edited by Andrew Radcliffe; Mar 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2016, 09:04 PM
it just needs more glue
whatfelloff's Avatar
The decals are amazing are they airbrushed ?
Mar 06, 2016, 09:35 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatfelloff
The decals are amazing are they airbrushed ?
Food coloring and Finger paint,...............
Actually, the prototype was airbrushed, but the 2nd one is printed tissue made with a standard ink jet. The 8 1/2" x 14" sheets are cut to match, sprayed with 3m77, and laid out on the foam.
Mar 06, 2016, 09:37 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
If anyone wants plans let me know.
Mar 06, 2016, 10:04 PM
it just needs more glue
whatfelloff's Avatar
[QUOTE=Andrew Radcliffe;34192830]Food coloring and Finger paint,...............
Actually, the prototype was airbrushed, but the 2nd one is printed tissue made with a standard ink jet. The 8 1/2" x 14" sheets are cut to match, sprayed with 3m77, and laid out on the foam.[/QUO


They look great hell of a job with some finger paint.
Mar 07, 2016, 06:58 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
[QUOTE=whatfelloff;34193033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radcliffe
Food coloring and Finger paint,...............
Actually, the prototype was airbrushed, but the 2nd one is printed tissue made with a standard ink jet. The 8 1/2" x 14" sheets are cut to match, sprayed with 3m77, and laid out on the foam.[/QUO


They look great hell of a job with some finger paint.
The prototype was a great flying plane and I hope the 2nd one is the same. We made no substantive changes, only a bit of better reinforcement and such. I hope to have it in the air before the weekend.
Mar 07, 2016, 07:39 AM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
Beautiful work.

How do you print on Tissue ?
Is it something I can buy ?
DO you need a special in/out type printer?
Do you put the tissue on another piece of regular paper ?


Does is tend to wrinkle up after application ? Like with any flexing ?

If a was not So Happy with the BIG and small Sim SYM SAM's I'd want to build this next.

Bob
Mar 07, 2016, 09:30 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Beautiful work.

How do you print on Tissue ?
Is it something I can buy ?
DO you need a special in/out type printer?
Do you put the tissue on another piece of regular paper ?


Does is tend to wrinkle up after application ? Like with any flexing ?

If a was not So Happy with the BIG and small Sim SYM SAM's I'd want to build this next.

Bob
Bob,

What we did is a real pain, but worth it. We took 8 1/2" x 14" paper, sprayed it with a low strength adhesive. Then took white tissue from Dollar Tree, laid it down and trimmed it into sheets. Printed it with a standard ink jet using perfectly matched 8" x 13" images. Next we pulled off the tissue and turned it printed side to the paper and razor trimmed it to exactly the image. Then we sprayed that with a light coat of 3M77 and laid it carefully on the foam. The trick is to keep it all as wrinkle free as possible and to make your cut matches as perfect as possible.

It was a bit of a job and it does take some time and planning. Trimming the tissue is a bit of a problem, too. We ruined a couple with too dull a knife (it tears easily). There is no wrinkle problem after it is down because the 3M77 does not allow it to.

Overall, except for the cost of printer ink (these images took a lot of ink!), it seems to work out well and I think it will actually strengthen the foam a bit because the tissue does not stretch and seems to add to the rigidity of the structure overall. I have the prototype (in pieces) which was painted and I will be making a weight comparison to see if we added any weight over paint. I have a hunch it is not much different.

Andrew
Mar 07, 2016, 10:07 AM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
I would have guessed most of that but it was well worth your explanation.

I might have tried to print directly on the tissue and gummed up my printer :-(

Any thoughts to using water clean up urethane ClearCrystal/Satin as opposed to 3m77 ?
Mar 07, 2016, 10:16 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I would have guessed most of that but it was well worth your explanation.

I might have tried to print directly on the tissue and gummed up my printer :-(

Any thoughts to using water clean up urethane ClearCrystal/Satin as opposed to 3m77 ?
Maybe but would that make the ink run? And the 3m77 worked well. I tried to print directly on tissue. Don't do that!
Mar 07, 2016, 11:35 AM
Registered User
Bob
When I use this for printing insignia on tissue covered balsa free flight planes, I attach one edge of the sheet of tissue to a backing sheet of paper. I load that into the photo paper (back) path of my Canon ink jet printer with the attached edge going in first, so that the printer would pull that in as it feeds. You need to adjust contrast a little so you don't get too much ink. Need to prevent wicking and smearing. I can pre shrink the tissue after or before printing, especially if I'm using the tissue on an easily warped tail surface. If I shrink the tissue on the plane, I'll use a mist of rubbing alcohol (30% water in alcohol = 70% isopropyl alcohol) .

Any ink jet ink will run if you use WBPU.
Mar 07, 2016, 12:16 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe
Bob
When I use this for printing insignia on tissue covered balsa free flight planes, I attach one edge of the sheet of tissue to a backing sheet of paper. I load that into the photo paper (back) path of my Canon ink jet printer with the attached edge going in first, so that the printer would pull that in as it feeds. You need to adjust contrast a little so you don't get too much ink. Need to prevent wicking and smearing. I can pre shrink the tissue after or before printing, especially if I'm using the tissue on an easily warped tail surface. If I shrink the tissue on the plane, I'll use a mist of rubbing alcohol (30% water in alcohol = 70% isopropyl alcohol) .

Any ink jet ink will run if you use WBPU.
I tried just the leading edge on my HP printer. The tissue did not track well and I had a mess. But I imagine every printer is a bit different so if it works do it!
Mar 07, 2016, 10:54 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
Here is a edited video I did a while back of the prototype. She is really a somewhat easy build and a great flying plane!! I highly recommend it.
One Hit Wonder USA EDITION (3 min 55 sec)
Mar 08, 2016, 07:57 PM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
I wish I could do 3D like that !

NICE VID !
Mar 08, 2016, 10:49 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Andrew Radcliffe's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I wish I could do 3D like that !

NICE VID !
Thanks this Is a very capable bird I truly believe everyone should have one l!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools