Aug 09, 2004, 08:09 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Thread OP

Conspiracy Theory: The Gear Ratio Secret

Ever notice why someone would sell you a gear ratio for your helicopter knowing it will blow your main circuit HEXFET because of too much current draw? Gear Ratioís play a important part of your micro helicopterís setup, in order to properly get your helicopter to fly correctly. With the Newbieís is a attraction, a draw to better flying performance, then bam, your down. Iím writing this Conspiracy Theory because thatís what it is. A method of selling you parts you donít or didnít ever need to get your micro helicopter to fly in the first place, had they steered you in the right direction in the first place. First off, let me explain one simple fact about out of the box micro helicopterís, fixed pitch, ebay deals, and weíre not including the Zoom/Shogunís or any other so called microís, that initial quality is questionable, but a simple replacement main motor will fly your stock micro just fine and you can learn quite well on it (not including the Johnson 250). To make your helicopter fly, itís not about blades, motorís or more batteries, the conspiracy. Itís really about taking your time to set-up your helicopter properly. Most want to jump in and get to work. They find out it doesnít happen that way. Thereís a zig zag sort of thing here, you upgrade, then find out that donít work, then buy more and find out that really helped but are not happy. CG is off, Now you need bigger batteries, they got you nowÖÖ..another conspiracy.

You have to be smart about this learning and what to avoid in there marketing conspiracy they are doing on you. Itís all about the 3 in 1 and how it functions. Itís about the gear ratio. Great, you got your helicopter to lift off below half throttle, now you donít have enough tail rotor thrust. Think about it. You just upsetted the balance of the 3 in 1 board. Instead you purchase high power motors, tail rotor blades, and have maxed out your credit card, only to find out you could have changed the main motor gear ratio by one tooth to solve itÖÖyour 3 in 1 is throttle stick sensitive, meaning it will produce maximum thrust to counter act torque at about half throttle, itís balance point., you lower your throttle position, you lower your tail rotor thrust.

Now that you have solved all that the helicopter wobbles during the hover and you constantly crash. Keeping them in business with spare parts. But you didnít know that a simple solution, cheap in fact, has been found and keep trying, and keep breaking. So your next conspiracy is to upgrade your bladesÖÖ.and the whole thing starts overÖÖ.again and againÖ..

PM me if you have a new micro helicopter, and canít fly it. Before you spend your hard earned cash on the so called upgrades, please do yourself a favor, and tell me whatís wrong. I can and have the products to solve most of these problems keeping your budget down, and avoiding the conspiracy theory of improper upgrade setups with my simple solutions.

G.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2004, 11:38 PM
Well said... I purchased a Lite Machine LM110 about 5 years ago and learned to fly on that, about 12 months ago I purchased a Dragonfly (Hummingbird) and guess what, It flew right out of the box. I have recently converted to separates and a brushless homemade motor but this was not necessary to make it fly. Get it going and learn to fly first, then spend heaps on money upgrading if you want to. In the stock configuration I had to replace 1 main motor and 1 tail motor over a 12 month period. Just lucky, maybe but this is the way it is. I see so many mods that make the Dragonfly better to fly and the best of these would be practice.

Had my say, know go out and have heaps on fun.
Aug 10, 2004, 01:41 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey109
PM me if you have a new micro helicopter, and canít fly it. Before you spend your hard earned cash on the so called upgrades, please do yourself a favor, and tell me whatís wrong. I can and have the products to solve most of these problems keeping your budget down, and avoiding the conspiracy theory of improper upgrade setups with my simple solutions.
More products? Sound like you are contributing to the conspiracy to me, and trying to steer it your direction at that. When does your web store open?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the self proclaimed godfather of micro helis, bow down.
Aug 10, 2004, 01:47 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
that what came to my thought to...

first i read through the thing.. i was wonder... humm.. what is the exact point... then it come to the end.. same thing..

...competition....
Aug 10, 2004, 02:13 AM
me3
me3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
More products? Sound like you are contributing to the conspiracy to me, and trying to steer it your direction at that. When does your web store open?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the self proclaimed godfather of micro helis, bow down.
hahahahahahaha took the words right out of my mouth.............
Aug 10, 2004, 02:48 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Actually, I have a conspiracy theory for you. I assume everybody knows what a "troll" is in the context of online forums/discussion groups. My conspiracy theory goes something like this.............................................. ..........................................

A troll of mediocre trolling talent decides to hop on a forum, regurgitate information heard elsewhere in a self serving manner, and support his/her own posts with a number of false accounts on said forum. The reason I say "of mediocre talent", is that while the troll has put a considerable amount of effort into his/her endeavours, this particular troll makes similar spelling mistakes and grammar inflections between false accounts. He/she also neglects to use these false accounts for anything other than self promotion, and the resulting low post count and content patterns are a dead giveaway to anybody who has been around for a while.

Now granted, this is all unfounded theory (a whim if you will), but since my micro helis were flying great long before lord geoffrey appeared, I say we shift the conspiracy focus to something more appropriate to the situation. But then, you shouldnt listen to me, I could very well be that troll............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................
Aug 10, 2004, 05:47 AM
Is rocket technician the same as rocket scientist?
Aug 10, 2004, 06:33 AM
loving turbos
I bought an Aerohawk. Flies nice. $320
I read here about like90 blades. I see a "everything deal". I buy it. $80
Then I need pliers and a dremel to install it. I buy it. $200
Then I realize that the PHA-01 does WEIRD things.
So I see seperates. I buy them. $400
Then I read about brushless. I buy another motor and an ESC etc. $120
Some more connectors, wires, glue for $100. Super-Glue rocks.
I see that there is a lot of soldering. I buy a soldering station. $200
I realize that the stock sender/receiver use too much battery.
So I go to the hobbyshop, the recommend an expensive TX. $800
I realize that my RX is 35Mhz so I need another 6-channel RX. $50
Another like90 set because I broke my blades and lots of Aerohawk spareparts for $100.
Sum? $2370 or so. (My $ are rounded up/down. I am in Switzerland and I have to import a lot and pay high taxes and handling fees from the customs.)My sum is CHF 3000.- now. Feeding the conspiracy a bit, I could buy a small car for that

BTW I started Mid June 04 . I had some nice flights with the Johnson and the dualtail though. 7-8m off ground hoovering and soft landings after 1-2min of flight.

Call me stupuid or call me other names, the Heli issue is fascinating and the dremel I can even use to drill holes in my BBQ-Grill

If I didn't start reading the rcgroups.com I might have stopped with the stock aerohawk. I might even have given up and put it in the basement.
Last edited by turbolover; Aug 10, 2004 at 06:37 AM.
Aug 10, 2004, 09:18 AM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Thread OP
Quote:
Quote:
Now granted, this is all unfounded theory (a whim if you will), but since my micro helis were flying great long before lord geoffrey appeared, I say we shift the conspiracy focus to something more appropriate to the situation. But then, you shouldnt listen to me, I could very well be that troll..........................

What's up with this.....??? I'm kinda puzzled at your remarks, I don't think I deserved these kind of comments.......Do you have some sort of problem with me??

G.
Aug 10, 2004, 09:26 AM
^-- breaks stuff
just a little perspective, take it as you wish
Aug 10, 2004, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey109
What's up with this.....??? I'm kinda puzzled at your remarks, I don't think I deserved these kind of comments.......Do you have some sort of problem with me??

G.
If you really did create that name, just so you could give yourself compliments on the board and then walk around with a larger ego you need to get a hobby I am not saying you did create that name, as I do not know for sure, but if you did(which looks probable), that is just pathetic.
Last edited by mobuis; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:36 AM.
Aug 10, 2004, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Wallis
Well said... I purchased a Lite Machine LM110 about 5 years ago and learned to fly on that, about 12 months ago I purchased a Dragonfly (Hummingbird) and guess what, It flew right out of the box. I have recently converted to separates and a brushless homemade motor but this was not necessary to make it fly. Get it going and learn to fly first, then spend heaps on money upgrading if you want to. In the stock configuration I had to replace 1 main motor and 1 tail motor over a 12 month period. Just lucky, maybe but this is the way it is. I see so many mods that make the Dragonfly better to fly and the best of these would be practice.

Had my say, know go out and have heaps on fun.
Mr. Jayson Wallis / Geoffrey109 ,

I disagree about the quality of the stock setup - original hummingbird v1.

I got maybe a dozen flights out of my stock hummingbird v1 on the 7 cell bird seed packs before the main motor died. I replaced the main motor with a new motor from a gws 300 gearbox and got another 10-15 flights before my stock tail motor died. Replaced the stock tail motor with another stock motor and only another 2 flights before the gws motor died taking the mixing board with it! Too much time was spent trying to keep the stock hummingbird flying due to problems with poor brushed motor performance and issues with stock head parts to be able to concentrate on learning.
After upgrading to brushless separates, ball in swash, head stiffener, cf blades, better electronics and batteries -longer flight time, and general frame reinforcing, I was able to concentrate on flying instead of crashing & fixing.

I agree that thereís no substitute for learning to set up your heli correctly. Proper research and instruction should be the first order of business however it also pays to have good reliable equipment from the start since thereís usually a price to pay when you cut corners.
Last edited by aeropuppy; Aug 10, 2004 at 05:57 PM.
Aug 10, 2004, 12:07 PM
OpenPilot
Could have chose a better name to make up as well....
Aug 10, 2004, 12:11 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Thread OP

My user name....???

What is wrong with my user name? Man I'm completely confused over this thread I started........

I wish Fred would just kill it.......I'm sorry this ever started.....

G.
Aug 10, 2004, 12:56 PM
They appear to be implying that you registered another user account "Jayson Wallis" to post a "me too".

Personally, I'm a bit shocked how quickly people are to bash another. I find Rcgroups a great place to get help and advice, and Geoffrey109 appears to be trying to help in his own way. Many other users end up offering products or services of benefit as well.

Might I suggest that people be a little less quick to criticize? If you suspect somebody is creating new accounts, ask an admin to check what IP addresses the accounts are using, patterns will quickly point this out.
And perhaps people shouldn't criticize without seeing what Geoffrey109 has to offer, perhaps he's reputable, perhaps he's not, but doesn't he deserve the chance to prove himself?

Let's not turn this thread in a personal bash-attack on anyone, but perhaps ask Geoffrey109 if he can explain his suggestions and/or product a bit more in public, which might help new flyers when they look for help.

My $0.02

Cheers,
D.

Quick Reply