Mar 05, 2016, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528
Tried the app on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Tablet SM-T337A. When connected to 4 chargers, charging, I could not display all 4 window TABs to the chargers at the same time, as I can on the Bump.

To Clarify, individual tabs are fine, but could not even have 2 tabs side by side showing 2 chargers charging.
We'll add new layouts that will allow it. Right now, if it can't fit the subview area, it won't allow a layout with all 4 chargers. We will be adding a new layout which removes the subview area in this situation - so it will look much like the Bump when it displays 4 chargers in a grid (except of course, with more info). Phones definitely won't show 4 chargers, and smaller tablets are questionable.

Over time, we will continue to tweak and optimize for all screen sizes and situations, but it is time consuming, so be patient.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2016, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42
Ran into a few issues with app/controller (with latest firmware):

1. May have hit noise issue others have reported as controller starting changing screens on it's own and such. Moved comm wires away from power and it was better, guess I need the chokes.

2. The charge % portion of display on meter/app is acting wonky. Sometimes shows correct value sometimes shows 0% at beginning of charge(fast) with batts starting at storage. When starting at 0 it will often stay there until nearly charged, then start ramping up just before end of charge but never reaches near 100%.

3. The clear from the app at the end of charge does not clear the bump setting like it does on the controller. I have to click on the batt info in app and hit clear a second time or use clear on the controller. The first time this happened I did not notice, bumped a new pack and started charging. The first pack was a 4.27 batt, the second a 4.2, and I noticed my 4.2 pack was being over changed because it was using the first pack info.

4. A couple of times the app did not refresh when a pack had finished charge.
Seems like you're seeing alot of strange symptoms that others are not ... is the BT connection reliable or does it seem to disconnect often ?
Also, is the display consistently updated (roughly) every second while the charger is active ? (watching the cycle timer is the easiest way to tell).

1. This should be fixed in 1.47 that I just posted - please try it and confirm

2. Check the Fuel Table in Settings and see if it looks correct. PM me with more specific details about the battery settings - screenshots of the Battery Details and Settings screens would be great. Also, the data under the Setup subview when it is charging.

3. The Clear from the app is working fine for me - just tried it again. I will continue testing - others chime in if you're seeing this too.
The situation you describe where your 4.2 is being overcharged doesn't make sense - even if you used a chemistry of LiPo for both (the 4.27 should have used LiHV, but no big deal), then having 2 LiPos with 2 different charge termination voltages should have resulted in the cycle terminating at the lower voltage (undercharging the 4.27). Maybe provide a little more detail on how that is setup. Again, via PM is probably better or it's really hard for me to find and follow up.

***EDIT*** Sorry, I think I get your original "overcharged" point - not overcharging from a *voltage* perspective, but an *amperage* perspective because it was calculating from 2 batteries.

4. This seems like a connectivity issue. Once the charge completes, the Bump will be continuously sending state updates (once per second per charger) ... so its possibly it could lose a message here or there and *delay* the status from changing, but to permanently stay in the wrong state is very odd. Again, anyone else seeing this please PM me.
Last edited by RevoKelly; Mar 06, 2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: light bulb went on
Mar 05, 2016, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker
Same here on 2 devices:
Xiaomi Redme note 2 phone
Teclast Air III tablet

Update from 1.40 starts but during update the BT connection is lost.
I'll be adding some extra debugging/logging support in the next release to help isolate the problem with firmware downloads (and signaling reliability in general) - I suspect we'll be able to get most devices working satisfactory - just need a little time to debug.

It is quite common for manufacturers to monkey with the base Android just enough to cause subtle compatibility problems. Or the drivers for different chipsets have subtle differences in API behavior. I already found a few with both Bluetooth and NFC with just the models we had available for beta testing - things like unusual/undocumented timing requirements. One example was that the Samsung tablets require at least a 100ms between discovering the LE services and attempting to connect, otherwise the connection fails.

Anyway, these things can take time to work through. If you have other options that work, great. If your setting on trying to make your existing device work, I'll do my best, but it takes time.

The firmware download failures, in particular, seem to be occurring across multiple devices, so that will likely have a common root cause and (hopefully) we can make some change that will improve that across the board.

In the meantime, use the Windows USB installer as needed to bring the Bump firmware up to the level you need to run with the Bump CCS app.
Mar 05, 2016, 10:57 PM
Thread OP

Bump Firmware 1.47 is available for download

Windows USB installer for 1.47 is now posted.
Also Android CCS 2.03 (includes 1.47 firmware) is also posted.

These should fix those touchscreen issues.
Mar 05, 2016, 11:13 PM
finally got my charger in. Plugged everything, runs great! App is smooth and no glitches from the first run.
Mar 05, 2016, 11:46 PM
Jacob Helber
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Seems like you're seeing alot of strange symptoms that others are not ... is the BT connection reliable or does it seem to disconnect often ?
Also, is the display consistently updated (roughly) every second while the charger is active ? (watching the cycle timer is the easiest way to tell).

1. This should be fixed in 1.47 that I just posted - please try it and confirm

2. Check the Fuel Table in Settings and see if it looks correct. PM me with more specific details about the battery settings - screenshots of the Battery Details and Settings screens would be great. Also, the data under the Setup subview when it is charging.

3. The Clear from the app is working fine for me - just tried it again. I will continue testing - others chime in if you're seeing this too.
The situation you describe where your 4.2 is being overcharged doesn't make sense - even if you used a chemistry of LiPo for both (the 4.27 should have used LiHV, but no big deal), then having 2 LiPos with 2 different charge termination voltages should have resulted in the cycle terminating at the lower voltage (undercharging the 4.27). Maybe provide a little more detail on how that is setup. Again, via PM is probably better or it's really hard for me to find and follow up.

4. This seems like a connectivity issue. Once the charge completes, the Bump will be continuously sending state updates (once per second per charger) ... so its possibly it could lose a message here or there and *delay* the status from changing, but to permanently stay in the wrong state is very odd. Again, anyone else seeing this please PM me.
I was seeing similar issues.

The touch screen seems to be working better with the new 1.47 however the battery meter is way off. When looking in the setup tab the battery table seems right. I'm currently trying to storage charge a battery that started off around 4v per cell. When I hit go it shows ~78% and then quickly jumps up to 99%. I tried that on both of my chargers with the same phenomenon. I also tried to do an analyze cycle on the pack with previous version of the fw which is how the battery ended up slightly charged and the battery showed ~50% as it was at storage charge when started and then quickly went to 0%. I never got through the cycle as the bc was very unstable at that point. Also when you hit the setup tab on the BC, the charger goes to the screen showing fuel level and that is blank on the charger. Don't know if the bc is telling the charger or the charger is supposed to be telling the BC what the level is but somewhere that info is getting lost.
Mar 06, 2016, 01:09 AM
Second go around, having BT issues. Bluetooth randomly disconnects even though my phone is only a max of 5-6 feet away.
Mar 06, 2016, 10:02 AM
I'll add my first post to this thread...

I too was surprised and somewhat disappointed that I had to pay ~$9 to download the app. I did buy the app but, after following every post on the Bump Controller thread and never hearing a word about the fact that we would have to pay for this app, it certainly was a surprise! I get it but, it would have been better received in my mind, if it was previously mentioned and wasn't a shock when you went to Google Play.

I purchased a Digiland DL718M 7" tablet mainly because I'm an Apple guy and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on an Android device. The DL718M is the model that is currently available at Best Buy for ~$50. After receiving it earlier this week, getting it running, and getting used to an Android, I was initially impressed with the $ value. Other than changing some settings, I only downloaded two apps: Tekin's Hotwire App (for RX8 Gen2 Surface Speed Controller) and then the Revolectrix Bump Controller App. I will admit that I didn't test either app at home before heading to the track. That said, yesterday I went to the track and the Digiland tablet completely let me down. I turned the unit on and it just hung at what I will call some sort of boot up screen......I tried everything.....forced shutdowns, starting in recovery mode, plugging in to a powered USB to ensure it had a full charge, starting it up when I returned home and was linked back to the only WiFi it was connected to......like I said, I tried everything but, the unit will not boot up. I highly doubt that the Revolectrix app caused the problem but that was the last thing I installed before shutting down and attempting a restart.

Oh well....sorta the story of my life. Every time I try buying a cheap product to save some money, I wind up spending more money in the end. When I spend money on a better product, I never have waste time driving back to the store, troubleshooting, or spending more money. Long story short, I'm off to Best Buy to return this tablet as, I've lost all confidence. I will be looking at other Android devices while I'm there and am currently keen on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet....we'll see if they have it in stock and whatever else catches my eye.
Last edited by 2fast916; Mar 06, 2016 at 10:07 AM.
Mar 06, 2016, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by subseaengineer
I was seeing similar issues.

The touch screen seems to be working better with the new 1.47 however the battery meter is way off. When looking in the setup tab the battery table seems right. I'm currently trying to storage charge a battery that started off around 4v per cell. When I hit go it shows ~78% and then quickly jumps up to 99%. I tried that on both of my chargers with the same phenomenon. I also tried to do an analyze cycle on the pack with previous version of the fw which is how the battery ended up slightly charged and the battery showed ~50% as it was at storage charge when started and then quickly went to 0%. I never got through the cycle as the bc was very unstable at that point. Also when you hit the setup tab on the BC, the charger goes to the screen showing fuel level and that is blank on the charger. Don't know if the bc is telling the charger or the charger is supposed to be telling the BC what the level is but somewhere that info is getting lost.
Any time you see large swings in the fuel gauge as the charge/discharge current increases, it means the cell IR value being used for the charge is too high.

What do you have configured for the Rated cell IR on that BumpTag ?

When you Bump (and hold) the battery, you'll see the rated Cell IR in about the middle of the screen. The default value for this cell IR value gets generated from the Max Discharge C value that you specified during setup, but you could have manually changed it too.

NOTE: There has only been one change to the behavior of the Fuel Gauge since the initial Bump release - we switched from using the Measured Cell IR (measured during Analyze) to using the Rated Cell IR (specified during BumpTag setup).

The reason for this change was because we saw a couple cases in the field where dirty/corroded balance cables/boards would cause bogus cell IR readings. When that happens during a normal charge, the Bump will show cell IR warnings because they exceeded the warning threshold - this would trigger you to go figure out what was happening. However, if that happened during an Anaylze Cycle, then those bogus cell IR values would also get written to the Measured Cell IR during an UpdateTag, and then the Fuel Gauge was also drastically off. The improved Fuel Gauge accuracy achieved by using the actual Measured Cell IR was negligible and the frustration caused by having an inaccurate Fuel Gauge was not.

SOOOOOO .... if you are seeing a problem with a Fuel Gauge, test it on 1.47 and provide me with the BumpTag setup details and we will resolve it. The fuel gauge is working perfectly for myself, the beta team, and the vast majority of customers, so there isn't much else we can do to help if we're not provided more data to assist you.
Mar 06, 2016, 11:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast916
I'll add my first post to this thread...

I too was surprised and somewhat disappointed that I had to pay ~$9 to download the app. I did buy the app but, after following every post on the Bump Controller thread and never hearing a word about the fact that we would have to pay for this app, it certainly was a surprise! I get it but, it would have been better received in my mind, if it was previously mentioned and wasn't a shock when you went to Google Play.

I purchased a Digiland DL718M 7" tablet mainly because I'm an Apple guy and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on an Android device. The DL718M is the model that is currently available at Best Buy for ~$50. After receiving it earlier this week, getting it running, and getting used to an Android, I was initially impressed with the $ value. Other than changing some settings, I only downloaded two apps: Tekin's Hotwire App (for RX8 Gen2 Surface Speed Controller) and then the Revolectrix Bump Controller App. I will admit that I didn't test either app at home before heading to the track. That said, yesterday I went to the track and the Digiland tablet completely let me down. I turned the unit on and it just hung at what I will call some sort of boot up screen......I tried everything.....forced shutdowns, starting in recovery mode, plugging in to a powered USB to ensure it had a full charge, starting it up when I returned home and was linked back to the only WiFi it was connected to......like I said, I tried everything but, the unit will not boot up. I highly doubt that the Revolectrix app caused the problem but that was the last thing I installed before shutting down and attempting a restart.

Oh well....sorta the story of my life. Every time I try buying a cheap product to save some money, I wind up spending more money in the end. When I spend money on a better product, I never have waste time driving back to the store, troubleshooting, or spending more money. Long story short, I'm off to Best Buy to return this tablet as, I've lost all confidence. I will be looking at other Android devices while I'm there and am currently keen on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet....we'll see if they have it in stock and whatever else catches my eye.
I personally use the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet so I expect you'll have very good luck with that.

One interesting note on that Tab A - even after adding ferrite chokes around the USB charge cable going to the tablet, the noisy power coming from DPS-1200 supplies (thru a 24V->USB power socket) is still causing the touchscreen to pretty much stop working. I've heard similar issues from other guys using other "mainstream" tablets, so I don't think it's something all that uncommon. ..... AND just for the record, I have *zero* touchscreen issues on my Bump Controller which is being fed by the same power and also left to deal with the switching noise coming from the PowerLabs ... just pointing that out to give an appreciation of how difficult these noise issues can be to overcome.

I'm going to buy that DL718M from Best Buy so I can debug what's going on with that device. I suspect we'll be able to get it working reliably, but can't promise anything until I know more.
Mar 06, 2016, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedak
Second go around, having BT issues. Bluetooth randomly disconnects even though my phone is only a max of 5-6 feet away.
Is that with the Digiland 7" DL718M ?
Mar 06, 2016, 01:26 PM
Quote:
I personally use the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet so I expect you'll have very good luck with that.

One interesting note on that Tab A - even after adding ferrite chokes around the USB charge cable going to the tablet, the noisy power coming from DPS-1200 supplies (thru a 24V->USB power socket) is still causing the touchscreen to pretty much stop working. I've heard similar issues from other guys using other "mainstream" tablets, so I don't think it's something all that uncommon. ..... AND just for the record, I have *zero* touchscreen issues on my Bump Controller which is being fed by the same power and also left to deal with the switching noise coming from the PowerLabs ... just pointing that out to give an appreciation of how difficult these noise issues can be to overcome.

I'm going to buy that DL718M from Best Buy so I can debug what's going on with that device. I suspect we'll be able to get it working reliably, but can't promise anything until I know more.

Thanks!

Just back from Best Buy....they were great and easily exchanged my DL718M for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A. There were three reasons why I purchased this tablet...1. I saw in one of your earlier posts that this was the tablet you were running 2. Price of $199 was a tad pricey but still not that bad 3. My brother-in-law raves about his Samsung devices.

It's charging right now so, can report back later on how it works.

Quick question. I think this has an obvious answer but a question not asked is a dumb question. As long as I don't use the USB charge cord connected to my power supply, I shouldn't notice any touch screen issues correct? Essentially the issue is from power supply noise and it will work fine wirelessly?

Thanks!
Mar 06, 2016, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Is that with the Digiland 7" DL718M ?
Nope I'm using my Galaxy Note 4. Updated the firmware again (1.46) and so far no problems.
Mar 06, 2016, 04:45 PM
Jacob Helber
Quote:
Any time you see large swings in the fuel gauge as the charge/discharge current increases, it means the cell IR value being used for the charge is too high.

What do you have configured for the Rated cell IR on that BumpTag ?

When you Bump (and hold) the battery, you'll see the rated Cell IR in about the middle of the screen. The default value for this cell IR value gets generated from the Max Discharge C value that you specified during setup, but you could have manually changed it too.

NOTE: There has only been one change to the behavior of the Fuel Gauge since the initial Bump release - we switched from using the Measured Cell IR (measured during Analyze) to using the Rated Cell IR (specified during BumpTag setup).

The reason for this change was because we saw a couple cases in the field where dirty/corroded balance cables/boards would cause bogus cell IR readings. When that happens during a normal charge, the Bump will show cell IR warnings because they exceeded the warning threshold - this would trigger you to go figure out what was happening. However, if that happened during an Anaylze Cycle, then those bogus cell IR values would also get written to the Measured Cell IR during an UpdateTag, and then the Fuel Gauge was also drastically off. The improved Fuel Gauge accuracy achieved by using the actual Measured Cell IR was negligible and the frustration caused by having an inaccurate Fuel Gauge was not.

SOOOOOO .... if you are seeing a problem with a Fuel Gauge, test it on 1.47 and provide me with the BumpTag setup details and we will resolve it. The fuel gauge is working perfectly for myself, the beta team, and the vast majority of customers, so there isn't much else we can do to help if we're not provided more data to assist you.
Thanks for the feedback, I was trying to run an analyze cycle to use that for IR value. I think it is related to the battery I was messing with to play with the bump controller. I cycled a different set of batteries and the gauge was correct so I must have fat fingered something when setting up that particular tag for the problematic battery. Now that it appears that the touch screen is more stable I hope to play with it tonight.
Mar 06, 2016, 04:49 PM
Jacob Helber
Quote:
Originally Posted by subseaengineer
Thanks for the feedback, I was trying to run an analyze cycle to use that for IR value. I think it is related to the battery I was messing with to play with the bump controller. I cycled a different set of batteries and the gauge was correct so I must have fat fingered something when setting up that particular tag for the problematic battery. Now that it appears that the touch screen is more stable I hope to play with it tonight.
I think you hit the nail on the head, somehow the IR is showing 63mOhm / cell which is way high. I will run these batteries through the analyze cycle, that will let me re-write the IR values for the battery right?

Quick Reply