Introducing the Bump Controller CCS mobile app - Page 24 - RC Groups
Jul 08, 2017, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Kelly,
This morning I have been able to talk to both Bump Controllers with my Samsung SM-N910A Galaxy Note 4 Phone. I still have to turn the Blue Tooth transmitter on before trying to connect, which was previously not the case.
I am still trying to get my Note 10.1 (Android v5.1) tablet to connect. I will let you know how that works out.
Gus...

I am now getting as far as receiving the message "Pairing Rejected" when trying to connect to my Note 10.1.
Gus...
I think I know what's going on with Bluetooth scanning ....

It looks like Google did something really stupid and starting defaulting per-app permissions to disabled after upgrading to a new SDK version of the app.

I was able to reproduce the same thing on an Android 7.0 device and fix it.

Go into Android Settings -> Apps -> Application Manager -> Revolectrix CCS and scroll down to the Permissions item and select it. It should show a list of requested permissions, including Location, which must be enabled to work - it is probably disabled.

Give that a try and let me know if scan starts working again.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2017, 01:57 PM

Android versions 4.08 and 4.09

We found a bug in Android Studio which led to lots of additional hassle and work ... in short, Google Play should have prevented any Android 4.x devices from upgrading beyond the original CCS v3.50 app ... but the bug prevented that from working.

So I just built and posted 2 new versions of the app:

4.08 - This is the same feature set as the original CCS v3.50 app, just a new version to allow Android 4.x devices to upgrade to it.
4.09 - This is the same as the 4.07 feature set, just had to add it after 4.08 to get the newer Android devices to upgrade (back) to the new "universal" app

So if you have an older Android 4.x release, it should upgrade to 4.08 and work fine.
Anything newer will upgrade to 4.09 and beyond.
Jul 10, 2017, 09:51 AM

CCS v4.09 and Controller Firmware 4.02 release

I pushed out the latest release over the weekend (mostly to fix a Google Play snafu), but didn't have time to mention some *really* cool new features that go along with that app and firmware release:

// Version 4.09
// BUGFIX: Bumped pack on mobile shows up on all connected controllers (should only be 1st)
// BUGFIX: Bumped pack on mobile with multiple controllers causes UI to freeze
// BUGFIX: Dialogs like Confirm Delete Graph do not dismiss properly
// FEATURE: NiXX fallback voltage configuration support
// FEATURE: Controller Firmware 4.02
// - FEATURE: Total power supply input limit (across multiple chargers)
// - FEATURE: Redesigned power supply options screen (simpler and faster)
// - FEATURE: On-the-fly amps adjustment during operation
// - FEATURE: Support for NiXX fallback voltage adjustment
// - BUGFIX: Battery Settings values for a preset are reset to defaults when editing

The most significant is the ability of the Bump Controller to dynamically adjust charge rates to ensure max power supply amps are not exceeded.
So go into Settings -> Power Supplies and select one of your configured power supplies on the left. You'll see a new field called "Supply Amps Limit" - set this to the max output of that power supply and the Bump will automatically adjust rates on the fly to stay under that limit. The "Per-Charger Amps Limit" is still available if you want to limit on a per-charger basis, but typically isn't needed - you can just set that to max input amps of the charger.

The initial algorithm used for throttling back the power to the chargers is what I would call "fair share" - it attempts to provide the same percentage of requested watts to each charger. For example, if one charger request 900w and another requested 100w, but only 500w were available from the power supply, then the chargers would get 450w and 50w, respectively. Other algorithms will be added in the future ("first started", "equal watts", etc.), but "fair share" does a pretty good job of handling most scenarios.

You'll also see that we've redesigned the Power Supply options screen so you can view and modify all supplies and associated chargers on a single screen which makes it much faster to switch between power supply profiles (for example, benchtop power supply vs portable power, DC supply vs battery, etc.).

With the ability to control charge amps on-the-fly, we also added the ability to manually adjust charge rates during an operation - you'll see new rate adjust buttons anytime an operation is active. The max rates will still be limited by the max ratings of the packs your charging (except for Manual operations where we don't know a max rate). So you'll be able to speed up your charges as needed, without worrying about exceeding the safe limits of the packs connected.

Thirdly, we also added proper support for NiXX charging by replacing the Accu/Norm/Fast max cell volts settings (which weren't really used for anything) with fallback volts values. This is supported in all places - BumpTags, Battery Presets, and Manual operation (both on Bump and CCS app).

Let me know if you find any problems with these new features.
Jul 10, 2017, 11:00 AM

Migrating Battery History from Android 4.x device to new device

Follow the steps below if you're replacing your old Android 4.x with a new device that's capable of running the latest CCS app with DropBox support (Android 5.0+ or Apple iOS):

1. Create a Battery History backup on the old Android 4.x device
- From the main screen, open Battery History screen (Tools -> Battery History)
- Perform the history backup (Tools -> Backup History)
- Resulting backup file will reside in the standard Android Download folder (location varies by device type)
- File name will be date-stamped with format of Download/CCS_History_2017_07_10.zip

2. Login/create DropBox account on the new Android or iOS device
- Install the new Revolectrix CCS app (v4.09+) on your new device
- From main screen, select History from the menu
- From Battery History menu, select Sync DropBox
- Click on 'Both' to perform a two-way sync with DropBox to confirm everything is working properly (no files will actually download since nothing exists yet)
- At the login screen, create/login to your DropBox account
- This will now connect the Revolectrix CCS app to your DropBox account and create a dedicated storage folder within your DropBox directory "/Apps/Revolectrix CCS"

3. Upload the backup .zip file to DropBox app folder "/Apps/Revolectrix CCS"
- There are several ways to get the .zip file uploaded from the old device to the DropBox app folder - direct USB connection to PC, or a variety of file management/upload apps.
- Simplest method is to simply install the free DropBox for Android client which is what is covered in these instructions
- Install DropBox app for Android, open the app, login with your DropBox account credentials
- In the left-hand pane, select Files
- From the file list, select "Apps", then "Revolectrix CCS" - this is the location where all CCS app data will be stored, including history
- Click the '+' button in the lower-right to add new files, then select "Upload files" option
- Locate and select your Download directory from the storage locations listed (exact location varies by device - sometimes its Internal Storage, others are on SDCard)
- Select the CCS_History_yyyy_mm_dd.zip backup file to upload it into the "Apps/Revolectrix CCS" directory

4. Unzip the .zip history file in DropBox
- This is probably easiest done on a PC or Mac - just select the .zip file and choose to unzip it into its current location
- This will merge the history files in the .zip into the "/Apps/Revolectrix CCS/history" directory where all battery history files are stored

5. Repeat step #2 and perform another 'Sync DropBox' to download all of the history data from DropBox to your new Android or iOS device
Last edited by RevoKelly; Jul 10, 2017 at 11:25 AM.
Jul 10, 2017, 12:28 PM

Windows 10 CCS app status update

Just a quick update on Windows 10 CCS app progress ....

We are on hold until Windows 10 Universal Web App (UWA) SDK API supports scanning for Bluetooth Low Energy devices.
UWA currently only supports pairing of BLE devices which is something that the Bump Controller hardware does not support.

This feature is supposedly releasing "soon" but I wasn't able to locate any dates.

Will post updates here as we know more.
Jul 10, 2017, 02:01 PM
Btw, will the windows app be exactly the same as android version or will it have additional features?
Jul 10, 2017, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler
Btw, will the windows app be exactly the same as android version or will it have additional features?
Exact same features, as hardware permits, across all 3 platforms (Android, Apple iOS, Windows 10).
For example, Apple doesn't expose an NFC API yet, so that version cannot read BumpTags directly on the mobile device.
Jul 18, 2017, 09:17 AM
Fly, Eat, Fly, Sleep, FlyÖ
Just got my new Bump Charger box, First rate assembly, thanks Kelly! I checked everything out and all seems to be in good working order. I went to iTunes and downloaded the CCS app and tried to connect to the bump controller and the CCS app tells me I need to update the app. The controller is running firmware v4.02 and the app is only up to firmware v3.12. I double checked iTunes for an update and the latest CCS software version v4.02 and I see that v4.09 is out for android. Can some tell me if Iím missing something or if the iOS version is in the works or possibly Apple is just sitting on the update?

Best regards,
Cris B.
Flying Wing Nutz
Jul 18, 2017, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekhet
Just got my new Bump Charger box, First rate assembly, thanks Kelly! I checked everything out and all seems to be in good working order. I went to iTunes and downloaded the CCS app and tried to connect to the bump controller and the CCS app tells me I need to update the app. The controller is running firmware v4.02 and the app is only up to firmware v3.12. I double checked iTunes for an update and the latest CCS software version v4.02 and I see that v4.09 is out for android. Can some tell me if Iím missing something or if the iOS version is in the works or possibly Apple is just sitting on the update?

Best regards,
Cris B.
Flying Wing Nutz
Glad to hear all looks good with the case.
Yes, Apple is sitting on the update .... hope to have it pushed thru in a couple days.
Jul 19, 2017, 08:51 AM
Fly, Eat, Fly, Sleep, FlyÖ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Glad to hear all looks good with the case.
Yes, Apple is sitting on the update .... hope to have it pushed thru in a couple days.
Thanks for the reply, I thought I had missed something or done something wrong... I'm still getting used to these iPhones and iPads. I guess I should have had my grand-daughter handy to explain it to me. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

Best regards,
Cris B.
Flying Wing Nutz