Dec 27, 2016, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515
Great feature, however, prior to configuring my DPL8 for the Bump Controller, I had already created a bunch of presets that were handy for fellow club members who would ask for a quick charge or status check...

I had presumed that, when I enabled "Show Presets on Idle", my existing presets would appear, but all I see appears to be an empty/fresh slate.

More than likely, I am missing something, or is that the correct operation and I should rebuild the ones that help club members?

Thanks, and great to see continuing improvements to a superior way to manage batteries. I even purchased a second BC for my portable field PL6...

Michael
Michael - that's a great point. Let me explain the rationale ...
Originally, our plan was to have the Bump Controller upload Powerlab presets as soon as the Bump connected to it. Bump would then display the list for user to select. I actually have this working, but never released it because ....
It takes a few seconds to upload the presets which was kind of annoying, and order to make sure the presets where up to date, they really needed to be uploaded each time.
So then I changed strategy - just make the Bump the "master" of all presets, and push them down on the fly before the charge is started (like it does for a Bump setup). And I got that working .... and realized it could still be better ...
The original presets were not battery-profile-based, so it wasn't as flexible as BumpTags - for example, being able to specify independent Accurate/Normal/Fast rates and quickly switch between them ... so I switched to just having the presets battery-based with all the same features as BumpTags (minus a couple things that just don't make sense). So this will also let presets pickup any new features added for BumpTags in the future, as well as making it easy to add things like Copy BumpTag to Preset.
Of course there are still features from the original Powerlab presets that aren't supported yet for BumpTags (like more granular control over termination, balancing, timeouts, etc.) , but once they are, you'll be able to use them for either BumpTag or preset setup.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2016, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Originally, our plan was to have the Bump Controller upload Powerlab presets as soon as the Bump connected to it. Bump would then display the list for user to select. I actually have this working, but never released it because ....
It takes a few seconds to upload the presets which was kind of annoying, and order to make sure the presets where up to date, they really needed to be uploaded each time.
So then I changed strategy - just make the Bump the "master" of all presets, and push them down on the fly before the charge is started (like it does for a Bump setup). And I got that working .... and realized it could still be better ...
The original presets were not battery-profile-based, so it wasn't as flexible as BumpTags - for example, being able to specify independent Accurate/Normal/Fast rates and quickly switch between them ... so I switched to just having the presets battery-based with all the same features as BumpTags (minus a couple things that just don't make sense). So this will also let presets pickup any new features added for BumpTags in the future, as well as making it easy to add things like Copy BumpTag to Preset.
Of course there are still features from the original Powerlab presets that aren't supported yet for BumpTags (like more granular control over termination, balancing, timeouts, etc.) , but once they are, you'll be able to use them for either BumpTag or preset setup.
Sounds good Kelly!
Dec 28, 2016, 11:36 AM
Closed Account

Sounds Good

I can work with that and see the underlying rationale.

I only use "Manual" to help folks out at the field as everything else has a Bump tag...

I'll re-implement the most commonly used field presets using the BC.

Thank you.

Michael
Quote:
Jan 31, 2017, 09:57 AM

Screens

Now that I ordered a tablet to use mostly for this app, I'm thinking about usability. I know it will be better than on my small phone display, but I'd also like to suggest we have an option to just show more on one screen. For example I'm often watching CellV and Supply graphs, but would be much better to not have to keep switching tabs. Then of course multiple charger channels. Clearly too much data for just 1 screen but I think having more options makes it way more convenient and of course is just more advantage of getting the app over just the bump controller.
Jan 31, 2017, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler
Now that I ordered a tablet to use mostly for this app, I'm thinking about usability. I know it will be better than on my small phone display, but I'd also like to suggest we have an option to just show more on one screen. For example I'm often watching CellV and Supply graphs, but would be much better to not have to keep switching tabs. Then of course multiple charger channels. Clearly too much data for just 1 screen but I think having more options makes it way more convenient and of course is just more advantage of getting the app over just the bump controller.
Did u know you can touch the already-selected subview tab and it will expand to show all info at once ? Sometimes its too much to fit, but its another option.

We will add other options in the future, but I just haven't found something i really like. I've tried things like putting a checkbox on each tab for independent show/hide, and showing a popup that lets you select a different view mode, and a few others. All of them started feeling overly complex.

While i still might take a manual approach like that, i'm leaning toward just making the app smarter and automatically picking what info to show if more screen space is available ... most likely with some configurable preferences where u can tweak it. The idea would be to select it once in settings rather than every time you use it.

The graph is probably still different - you would likely always need to pick a single graph to display, but we could show the text/numeric/table data from multiple tabs at the same time.

Input is welcome, so give me your ideas.
Last edited by RevoKelly; Jan 31, 2017 at 06:48 PM.
Feb 01, 2017, 09:13 AM
Is there an update coming? I updated the firmware on the Bump controller and now the app tells me it,s not compatible with the controller version.

Update: Once again operator error on my part. I got the update for both the controller and app and all is happy.
Last edited by Greg Gimlick; Feb 13, 2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Feb 01, 2017, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Did u know you can touch the already-selected subview tab and it will expand to show all info at once ? Sometimes its too much to fit, but its another option.

We will add other options in the future, but I just haven't found something i really like. I've tried things like putting a checkbox on each tab for independent show/hide, and showing a popup that lets you select a different view mode, and a few others. All of them started feeling overly complex.

While i still might take a manual approach like that, i'm leaning toward just making the app smarter and automatically picking what info to show if more screen space is available ... most likely with some configurable preferences where u can tweak it. The idea would be to select it once in settings rather than every time you use it.

The graph is probably still different - you would likely always need to pick a single graph to display, but we could show the text/numeric/table data from multiple tabs at the same time.

Input is welcome, so give me your ideas.
Yes I had discovered (by accident) that 2nd tap on the button shows all info - useful. I like that you're already working on putting more info on screen. The auto-resize type functionality sounds useful and I know what you mean by getting to complex with options. I like to make the configuration itself therefore an option - so like an overall 'simple' or 'custom' choice in settings.

Is the one-graph limit a software limitation or something? That's one of the main things I'd want is multiple graph display. I know we did just fine (well, not really, actually) with the 2-line LCD chargers so it's not like it's necessary but graphs are extremely useful IMO. Tells you exactly where you are, how much is left, what has happened, among other things - and all in one glance.

One idea I had would be a 'slot' approach, where you'd have say 4 vertical or horizontal slots where the user could populate each as desired - graph, data block, a history block, etc., from any channel. But sounds like that would be a complete rewrite. Or impossible. So any improvement here would be v. good - thx.
Feb 11, 2017, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately the elves couldn't quite get the Apple iOS app wrapped up in time, but it has started beta testing and is on-schedule for a February release
I've just recently received my Bump controller. I am running this through my trusty PL8 (which I have owned for quite a few years. Can't wait to see the iOS app being released.

The gear that Revolectrix currently have is awesome and I'm sure the iOS app will complement this.
Feb 24, 2017, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Just an update on the Apple iOS version of the CCS app ...
We have submitted the request for public posting of the app, so once we fix whatever Apple doesn't like, it will be ready for download.
Once it's available on iTunes, I'll post here again.
Feb 24, 2017, 06:04 PM
Quote:
We have submitted the request for public posting of the app, so once we fix whatever Apple doesn't like, it will be ready for download.
Good news!!!
Feb 25, 2017, 04:35 AM
KI7CBF
Quote:
So awesome I've been waiting a while for this!

Since I bought my bump last summer and started using it with an Android tablet, I've never been able to use them more than about 18" apart - I get Bluetooth disconnect problems. I've always wondered if the Bump or the tablet were problematic. I hope I get a bit more distance from the iPhone/iPad versions.
Feb 25, 2017, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmtrk
So awesome I've been waiting a while for this!

Since I bought my bump last summer and started using it with an Android tablet, I've never been able to use them more than about 18" apart - I get Bluetooth disconnect problems. I've always wondered if the Bump or the tablet were problematic. I hope I get a bit more distance from the iPhone/iPad versions.
18" is definitely not sufficient. The absolute worst ive seen was about 10 feet with a cheap tablet, noisy power supply, and lots of 2.4ghz interference. 15-20 ' indoors is typical, and up to 50' is possible outdoors. So if that problem persists, you may need to send the Bump in for service - keep me posted.
Feb 25, 2017, 11:40 AM
KI7CBF
Quote:
if that problem persists, you may need to send the Bump in for service - keep me posted.
Thanks! It's a really cheap Android tablet so I've assumed it was the problem. I know the Bluetooth on my iPhone and iPad work great so it will be a good way to diagnose the issue.
Feb 27, 2017, 02:13 PM
Same issue for me on the bluetooth distance. 10 feet is about it and even then it drops out from time to time.
Cheap tablet though so we'll see.
Feb 27, 2017, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer
Same issue for me on the bluetooth distance. 10 feet is about it and even then it drops out from time to time.
Cheap tablet though so we'll see.
I have the same problem maybe 8 feet hoping ipad is better...

Quick Reply