Introducing the Bump Controller CCS mobile app - RC Groups
Mar 04, 2016, 07:32 PM
Discussion

Introducing the Bump Controller CCS mobile app

Welcome to the new thread dedicated entirely to the open discussion of the Bump Controller Charge Control Software (CCS) mobile applications.
The Bump Controller is revolutionizing battery management and these companion mobile apps will take the Bump functionality and capabilities to whole new level.

This thread is being started, and is fully-sanctioned and supported by Revolectrix, but it will also be monitored by the Bump beta team. You are invited to ask technical questions or inquire about available features to your heart’s content. Answers will be supplied by team members who now have logged cumulatively, thousands of happy hours with the beta versions of these applications. Over the past several months, their inputs have helped shape the user interface and feature set of the Bump Controller CCS apps. From time-to-time, members of the engineering team, including myself, may step in to offer assistance in this regard; however, for the most part, this is their thread. ENJOY!

NOTE: If your topics are mostly about the Bump Controller itself, please continue to use the main Bump Controller thread instead.

The first release of the Bump Controller CCS app is designed for Android and is now available on Google Play.
This initial release of the CCS app includes the following features:
- Real-time monitoring, control, and charge setup of all 4 connected PowerLabs at the same time
- Automatic Bump Controller firmware upgrades over Bluetooth
- Quick BumpTag setup (faster data input)
- Quick Manual setup (faster data input)
- BumpTag scanning from mobile device (NFC support required on mobile device)

FUTURE releases of the CCS app will include the following features :
- Automatic upload and storage of battery charge graphs
- History, reporting, graphing of battery cycles
- Battery performance trending charts
- PowerLab options/settings management (like Windows CCS for PowerLab)
- PowerLab preset creation and configuration (like Windows CCS for PowerLab)
- PowerLab firmware upgrades (like Windows CCS for PowerLab)
- USB communication support (except for Apple iOS)
- Multiple connected Bump Controllers at the same time over Bluetooth
- Apple iOS version
- Windows 10 version
..... And lots of smaller features that will get sprinkled in as customers request them

The app will NEVER include advertising and will NEVER use in-app purchases for "premium" features. Your initial buying price will include all new features for the life of the product.

We are also extending the standard Google Play "buyers remorse" return/refund policy (2 hours) to a full 6 months to make sure you have plenty of time to evaluate the current capabilities, as well as the new stuff we will be adding along the way. We believe you'll find that the app is well worth the asking price, especially as the new features roll out throughout 2016 and beyond.

This initial $9.99 promotional price will increase as new features are added, but once you purchase, you'll get all new features that follow without paying extra. So the sooner you get in, the lower the price - that's our reward for the early adopters.

By offering the app separately, rather than including the cost with the Bump Controller, you can decide if it provides value to you. It also means that if you own multiple Bump Controllers, you don't end up repeating the cost on multiple units - something we wanted to avoid.

As time went on and we received more feedback from the beta team and customers, we saw the potential for the mobile apps continue to expand - more and more cool features we knew we wanted to enable with mobile apps. That of course means more and more development cost, but we're convinced its worth it given the potential value to customers. We want these mobile apps to become a kick-ass, feature-rich offerings that add considerable value to the product. We do NOT want to take the typical hardware manufacturer route of pushing out a "token" mobile app just so we can tout it in our marketing material even though it doesn't provide any real value and never gets new features. We want to build something that is constantly improving, enjoyable to use, and you depend on daily - hopefully something you simply can't live without.

So we hope you decide to give it a try and see for yourself if it's worth it.
And don't be shy about voicing your opinions on new features and priorities - this app is all about enabling the user experience that you want, so jump in !!!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2016, 08:20 PM
Please delete, i'm blind. Thanks for the amazing app!
Last edited by touser; Mar 04, 2016 at 08:27 PM.
Mar 04, 2016, 08:41 PM
Up and running!

Not sure what the issue was, but could maintain a Bluetooth connection but for only a few seconds. Unit had v1.41. Upgraded to 1.46 via PC, now seems to be holding better BT connection better. Still seems to be pretty touchy with my Digiland tablet, even at close range. I have to move the tablet around a bit in order to secure a reliable connection before the connection will hold.

Was bummed about the $9.99 purchase price. I get it, but this was a blindside since it was never discussed that there would be a cost for the app… Glad you implemented a six-month return policy.
Mar 04, 2016, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision
Up and running!

Not sure what the issue was, but could maintain a Bluetooth connection but for only a few seconds. Unit had v1.41. Upgraded to 1.46 via PC, now seems to be holding better BT connection better. Still seems to be pretty touchy with my Digiland tablet, even at close range. I have to move the tablet around a bit in order to secure a reliable connection before the connection will hold.

Was bummed about the $9.99 purchase price. I get it, but this was a blindside since it was never discussed that there would be a cost for the app… Glad you implemented a six-month return policy.
Interesting.
Can you give me the model of that tablet ?
If I can find the same one at Best Buy, I'll get it for testing - see if its something we can improve.

Our choice was to either deliver a "token" app for free (or nearly) or charge a little more to make sure we could keep investing in it ... I think its the right strategic decision and will pay off over time.
Mar 04, 2016, 09:09 PM
Purchased, I too was caught a little off-guard with the price. But I think it will be very well worth it, especially with the future plans and frequent updates. I don't have my charger yet- should be here tomorrow. But being able to see some basic functions via my Galaxy Note 4 is extremely cool! Even cooler is you guys offering the 6 months policy. Once people get to use it, I don't think they will regret it.

I did an update via computer on the BC, but wanted to see the speed of update by bluetooth. Much slower, but not horribly slow.

This is an awesome tool! Thanks for offering and continuing to improve your products.
Mar 04, 2016, 09:09 PM
House of Paine
Also a bit bummed on having to pay for app as well, thought buying controller, PL chargers, and tags would be sufficient, but not a big deal.

Does the controller only support one Bluetooth connection at a time? I want to use both phone and tablet but it appears I can't connect to one without disconnecting the other.
Mar 04, 2016, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Interesting.
Can you give me the model of that tablet ?
If I can find the same one at Best Buy, I'll get it for testing - see if its something we can improve.

Our choice was to either deliver a "token" app for free (or nearly) or charge a little more to make sure we could keep investing in it ... I think its the right strategic decision and will pay off over time.
DL718m
Mar 04, 2016, 09:19 PM
Does the BC need to be connected to a PL unit in order to display anything on app? Right now I just get a blank screen. I can use the "new bump tag" option, setup info and hit write. It then sends the info over to the BC.
Mar 04, 2016, 09:20 PM
One thing we found in beta - on some tablets (Nexus7 2013 in particular), if you disable the 2.4Ghz Wifi bands, it reduced interference and improved reliability and throughput. So if you have a 5Ghz router, this might be a good workaround.

For testing purposes, you could also try disabling Wifi completely to see if it makes any difference. Firnware downloads tend to be the most sensitive to packet loss, so disabling Wifi during that might help. Keeping the phone/tablet close during upgrades obviously helps too.
Mar 04, 2016, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedak
Does the BC need to be connected to a PL unit in order to display anything on app? Right now I just get a blank screen. I can use the "new bump tag" option, setup info and hit write. It then sends the info over to the BC.
Yes, right now there isn't much else to do if no PL's are attached.
Down the road, you'll get other options popup when "offline" - like history/reporting options.
Mar 04, 2016, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Yes, right now there isn't much else to do if no PL's are attached.
Down the road, you'll get other options popup when "offline" - like history/reporting options.
Thank you, that makes sense. Curiosity has me at the edge of my seat while I play the waiting game.
Mar 04, 2016, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42
Also a bit bummed on having to pay for app as well, thought buying controller, PL chargers, and tags would be sufficient, but not a big deal.

Does the controller only support one Bluetooth connection at a time? I want to use both phone and tablet but it appears I can't connect to one without disconnecting the other.
Yes, one BT connection at a time - BT LE device side just doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle constant stream of updates to multiple devices. We're looking at other ways around that - for example, enabling USB support (at least for Android and Windows 10 devices) so that your tablet is USB connected while your phone is BT connected, as well as possibly using Wifi-direct to "relay" the BT signaling from your tablet to your phone. Can't promise anything at this point, but both seem doable.
Mar 04, 2016, 11:29 PM
House of Paine
Ran into a few issues with app/controller (with latest firmware):

1. May have hit noise issue others have reported as controller starting changing screens on it's own and such. Moved comm wires away from power and it was better, guess I need the chokes.

2. The charge % portion of display on meter/app is acting wonky. Sometimes shows correct value sometimes shows 0% at beginning of charge(fast) with batts starting at storage. When starting at 0 it will often stay there until nearly charged, then start ramping up just before end of charge but never reaches near 100%.

3. The clear from the app at the end of charge does not clear the bump setting like it does on the controller. I have to click on the batt info in app and hit clear a second time or use clear on the controller. The first time this happened I did not notice, bumped a new pack and started charging. The first pack was a 4.27 batt, the second a 4.2, and I noticed my 4.2 pack was being over changed because it was using the first pack info.

4. A couple of times the app did not refresh when a pack had finished charge.
Mar 05, 2016, 07:14 AM
Professional Toothpick maker
Tried the software and I think it's great.
Works on my Galaxy S5
Doesn't work on IdeaUSA 7" tablet ( I was going to put this in my charger box ) Bluetooth 4.0/LE supported ( Not sure but this may be the problem )
Mar 05, 2016, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42
Ran into a few issues with app/controller (with latest firmware):

3. The clear from the app at the end of charge does not clear the bump setting like it does on the controller. I have to click on the batt info in app and hit clear a second time or use clear on the controller. The first time this happened I did not notice, bumped a new pack and started charging. The first pack was a 4.27 batt, the second a 4.2, and I noticed my 4.2 pack was being over changed because it was using the first pack info.
I've had this as well, at the end of the cycle the app screens turned blue but the bump screens remained green until I manually clear them.