Mar 09, 2016, 06:54 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Cool Lockey, It will be easy to angle the fuse back a bit more to get the prop out of the grass.
ie- make a line from the back of the wing on the side of the fuse through to just under the elevator servo and she should sit up nice??

Did someone say V-TAIL!!! LOL..
Cheers Mate

"V" tail ... did someone say "V" tail ... tha man have a "V" tail fetish ... go for it Duke

Maybe you should give us the benefit of your experience here Duke .... a little info on the "V" tail ... angle and size of each fin ? what the rudder / elevators are supposed to do ? how do you set them up ? Programming ?

Maybe I will do an "alternative" tail design

WHOOPS ... Maybe we should wait and see if the bugger flies first eh !!!!

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 09, 2016 at 07:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2016, 07:10 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Angle = 110degs
2x servos back to back in the centre, top of the fuse would probably be the easiest.
Ailerons and v-tail will be best and will give you elevator and rudder on your rear-end.
cheap HK TX will be a switch on the front for V-tail but with the better radios it will be a selection with-in the TX. don't worry it's very easy, just have to have a go.
Mar 09, 2016, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Angle = 110degs
2x servos back to back in the centre, top of the fuse would probably be the easiest.
Ailerons and v-tail will be best and will give you elevator and rudder on your rear-end.
cheap HK TX will be a switch on the front for V-tail but with the better radios it will be a selection with-in the TX. don't worry it's very easy, just have to have a go.
110 degrees ??????? is this correct ??? doesnt look enough to me ??

Lokcey
Mar 09, 2016, 09:43 PM
Finished and ready to maiden

Think I might have to shorten the nose a little as its so hard to balance, maybe if I just leave the fuselage the same and move the wing forward 30 mm or so .... this will add a bit to the back and shorten the nose ... comments

Lockey
Mar 09, 2016, 10:20 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Have you flown it?
I think he meant 110 was the included angle , making them 55 from vertical.

I like the mid battery. Lets one fly with almost any weight pack.
Mar 09, 2016, 10:43 PM
Yes Lockey, Bg has it correct. 110deg between the fins, 55deg each direction from the vertical.
I like your idea of moving the wing forward, ....just a little.
Can't wait to see the maiden. love these old retro plans... I have a tonne of them I was given by a work mate whose grandfather died and he was given a box of plans the grandfather had collected for many years. He found out My hobby and took pictures of them all and put it on a memory stick for me to have a look at. Took me ages to go through them all, and Dam there's some weird and wonderful designs.... I wounder how I could get the hard copy's{plans} to pdf files and post them??? Any one got any ideas??
Mar 09, 2016, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Have you flown it?
I think he meant 110 was the included angle , making them 55 from vertical.

I like the mid battery. Lets one fly with almost any weight pack.
Trouble is as it is now, its waaaaaay back behind the CG, I think by moving the wing forward a tad it will do exactly as you say

OK so this is what it should look like then, is the fin x 2 big enough ??

Plans can just be posted af JPG's Duke ... and if anyone wants one they can get them changed to PDF'f if they want to
I'd like to see some of the stranger ones LOL ... we think we have designed a new model and ... its all been done before if there are any you want mate, send me the JPG and I will see if I can convert it to PDF for you

Lockey
Mar 10, 2016, 01:00 AM
Maiden didn't exactly go to plan ... should have done my own CG check instead of relying on someone else's ... moved the battery a tad further back and tried again but still not far enough I believe ... broke the tail off an had no gear to fix it with me, try again tomorrow

I have redone a CG check and seems I was much too tail heave ... AND ... we all know what happens to a tail heavy plane ... DON"T WE !!!!! video proves it

So here is what I believe to be the right CG (see pic) ... seems it was over 30 mm out WOW

Lockey

Cheery Bomb maiden (0 min 16 sec)
Mar 10, 2016, 01:29 AM
Minor damage repaired but don't think I am going to need to change the wing position ... see pic for battery position with what I believe to be the correct CG now

Anyone building this I would recommend doing as Duke suggested and cut this straight (see pic) remove the red section ... this will just give a little more clearance for the prop

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 10, 2016 at 01:38 AM.
Mar 10, 2016, 01:35 AM
Cool mate, Thanks. I'll talk to our IT guy and see if I can get them digitized. I can go and see our local Kodak shop and see what they will charge for getting the on a memory stick.

That front view of the v-tail looks very nice! Putting 2xservos in the tail will put some more weight in the back. The v-tails fins could be a little bit bigger, probably 15% bigger. But instead of shorting the nose and moving the wing forward, what about putting 40mm in between the back of the wing and the front of the fins. making the tail a little longer. what will that look like?
Mar 10, 2016, 01:41 AM
Won't need any changes to the fuselage Duke, the CG was miles out

Will balance easy now at the new CG

Lockey
Mar 10, 2016, 04:03 AM
I decided to go out and re-maiden the Cherry Bomb although it was a little windy

Success this time with MY own C of G, I should have checked it before flying, it did seem a bit far back

Ailerons were very twitchy, even on low rates, need to cut the travel down a bit ... you were right LDF the size of the ailerons are a bit bug, need less movement

Its only a very small park where I fly from so have to be a little careful otherwise the magnetic tree monsters got you

She certainly is fast on full throttle

Didn't fly long enough to get a real feel for her, it was also a little too windy, but just had to re-maiden and have a short flight

Lockey

Re Maiden Cherry Bomb (3 min 36 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 10, 2016 at 04:28 AM.
Mar 10, 2016, 04:08 AM
Good on ya mate. Looking at the ailerons I thought it would have plenty of control being full length of the wing.
Can't wait to see her fly!
Mar 10, 2016, 06:28 AM
Thought I would add a couple of tiny wheels to lift the front a bit more

Lockey
Mar 10, 2016, 07:04 AM
Retired CAD guy
OK OK OK ...

IS or IS NOT the plan that you sent READY TO GO.
Or should I be making some in-line changes ?

I am ready to CNC cut using the plans you sent me yesterday.
Justj wants a set of parts already !
Plus He wants one of your Vixen models as well.

I'll check back a bit later.

Best

Bob

Quick Reply